Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Formatt Hitech Firecrest carbon metalic ND filters
  • https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/products/Firecrest-ND~195.html

• Formatt claims that these are manufactured using a carbon metallic coating, instead of a dye like typical ND filters.

• Formatt claims they are almost perfectly neutral across the visible, infrared, and ultraviolet spectra, thus replacing hot mirrors and IRND filters.

• They are available as circular screw-in filters as well as rectangular glass.

• The prices seem extremely competitive - around $100 for most of the circular filters.

• Formatt, Amazon, and B&H are taking pre-orders now. B&H list them as IRND instead of ND, but they're the same thing.

• Initial tests show them to be superbly neutral: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?123352-Close-Look-Formatt-Hitech-Firecrest-ND-Filters

I'm super excited about these! I'm tired of ND filters that aren't so neutral.

I'm curious about the physics of how these work. They seem to be quite different from the reflective metallic coating-type filters like TrueND. And what is a "carbon metallic" coating?

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Looks interesting - but I don't get it: Why does the 4mm thick 4x4" version cost 3x the 2mm 100x100mm version? Thats only more glass, not more filter.

• Why does the 4mm thick 4x4" version cost 3x the 2mm 100x100mm version?

Because of marketing decisions :-)

• Am I right to think that the 2mm 100x100mm might fit in a 3mm 4x4" filter holder? Maybe with a few layers of gaffer's tape around the edges?

• Check B&H's prices. Some of the 4x4" 4 mm filters are much cheaper there than from Formatt or Amazon.

• Well at the moment I'm using a 4mm filter tray in a matte box that was designed for and came with 3mm filter trays, so if it's possible to use thinner 100mm filters, I would prefer that.