Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Thailand: Managment and the flood
  • The Yomiuri Shumbun reported today that all five key industrial zones were under water in the historic city of Ayutthaya, about a one-hour drive north of Bangkok. Many Japanese automobile and electronics manufacturers are located in the city.

Nikon Corp.’s Thailand plant produces low- to mid-range single-lens reflex cameras, which account for 90 percent of the company’s SLR camera production. Including D3100, D5100, D7000, D300s, 18-55mm DX, 18-105mm DX, 18-200mm DX, 70-300mm, 24-120mm and 28-300mm.

Sony Corp. manufactures all of its digital SLR cameras in the industrial area of Ayutthaya A65, A77, and NEX-7 production stopped.

So. Someone told something about bad Olympus managment recently.
    But damage done by making prior decisions by Nikon and Sony managment is hard to calculate today, but it won't be small.

Panasonic and Olympus never had so good chance as this year.
    flood.jpg
    500 x 366 - 40K
    nikon.jpg
    620 x 476 - 49K
    sony.jpg
    600 x 400 - 102K
  • 19 Replies sorted by
  • I must surely be the worst year imaginable for Japanese business. Did they upset the Gods? First currency issues, then political problems, then production issues, power cuts and corruption at home, now floods abroad. I feel bad for the Thai workers who may not be paid as a result of this mess.

Earthquake in Japan meanwhile was incalculable for the sheer human cost of it never mind financial effects on Canon, Sony and Nikon, etc. :(

2012 one to forget for Japan.... And to make it even worse I am visiting them next month :)
  • @EOSHD

They also have still unresolved radiation issues. :-)

But all this is bleak in comparison with their structural economic problems and debt.
  • I hope Phuket will be fine when I go there next month for a break.
  • Poor, poor, managers.

Because of the earthquake in Japan, many companies shifted more production to their Thai plants to spread the risk. Murphy's law if you ask me.

Maybe this is a signal: move production back to Europe, Russia and United States.
  • @sohus
    "Maybe this is a signal: move production back to Europe, Russia and United States."

For what? To pay more for a Japanese car?
  • But remember guys, we shouldn't do anything about climate change because it kills jobs.

• @PixCanFly
    This doesn't cost money? They are moving production away to East Asia and there are more natural disasters over there. More disasters = more risk = higher prices. Let them learn the hard way.
  • Same reports:
    Thailand's prime minister warned Saturday the kingdom will endure weeks more flooding, telling anxious Bangkok residents to prepare for possible metre-deep water as the inundation spread.
  • So no A65 or NEX7 soon (Sony is shifting production to another plant). This also imposes the risk of worse quality control (they quickly need to setup a new factory, new workers etc.)

Nikon is also in huge problems.

And if you need harddisk, but them now. Both WD and Seagate have been hit so prices will rise!

New reports from Thailand predict about four months until production resume,
    sony.jpg
    600 x 389 - 106K
  • Looked at local computer resellers.
    HDD prices went nuts.
    Impact on computer sales in hot season will be enormous.
  • More optimism:

Thai Chamber of Commerce urges government to protect Bangkok at any cost: The Thai Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday urged the government to do its utmost to protect Bangkok, give accurate and up-to-date information, and forge closer cooperation with the private sector to manage the logistics system and ensure minimum impact on the economy. (Source: The Nation)

All eyes on Bangkok’s flood barriers as new wave arrives today: Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra warned that there was a 50/50 chance that much of Bangkok would be inundated in the coming days but insisted that Suvarnabhumi Airport wouldn’t be flooded. (Source: The Nation)

10.000 factories closed, 660.000 lost their work.
  • Perhaps this is mother nature's way of saying slow down on the man-made, often environmentally unfriendly mass production of consumer products.

On a serious note though, my thoughts go out to the many men and women affected by these tragedies. Very sad to watch. Hopefully they are able to rebound quickly.
  • Apple is also getting affected by the Thai floods.
  • @stonebat

This is quite an old news.
    According to my talk most small computer firms are in panic as they have no HDDs in hot season.
  • Yes it's old news. But I'm surprised that the price is still going up. Maybe $200 before this week ends.

Say good bye to Cyber Monday!!!!