Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Suggestion? Manual Macro Video w/ Live Output
  • I own an electronic cigarette shop and I'd like to start producing how-to and troubleshooting videos for e-cigarettes (yes, they can be that complicated). The youtube market for these kinds of videos is pretty flooded at the moment, so I'd like to take a new approach to the subject matter that's a bit more artistic and polished than most. For reference, here's a segment of video done by one of the big players in the field, PBusardo (try skipping ahead to 34m39s):

And another by RiP Trippers (skip ahead to 5m30s):

So now that you know the format of these kinds of videos, hopefully you can help me find a camera that will shoot these scenes particularly well. So far, I've been looking deeply at the Panasonic LX7 as it has nearly all the features I need, like great manual control over all settings regarding macro video, high resolution, 100-120fps recording, and a fair price point to boot. However, it is missing one crucial feature that I think would be all but necessary for shooting this kind of video: live monitor output while recording. Is there another camera (compact or camcorder) that can compete with the LX7 (as far as macro video quality and price point) that also has live output while recording? (I'm aware there are current efforts to hack this functionality into the camera, but since Panasonic refuses to provide a new firmware file those efforts have been thwarted.) Are there any other hobbyists out there that film similar feats such as model building/painting, fly tying, etc? What cameras do you use and what are your results?

Thanks very much for any input, and please feel free to tell me I'm way off target with the LX7. I've been very impressed with its results and ease of use, but I'm not sure it's the best solution to my kind of problem.