Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
US: Imports and Cargo
  • When retailers expect that Americans will be crowding into their stores, their orders pile into the nation’s ports in August and September for delivery to stores by late October. But logistics companies say that is not happening this year.

“We’re concerned, because usually at this time, you see this peak,” said Richard D. Steinke, the executive director of the Port of Long Beach in California. “We haven’t seen it.”

In fact, the five busiest container ports in the United States said that imports in August 2011 were lower than or even with 2010 volumes.

In Long Beach, the second-busiest container port by volume, August imports fell by 14.2 percent from August 2010. While the port has not yet released September volumes, a spokesman, Art Wong, said it expected about a 15 percent drop from September 2010.

Via: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/12/business/at-us-ports-flow-of-imports-suggests-soft-holiday-shopping-season.html?_r=1
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • It is interesting that this match with high tech suppliers predictions of that I know.
  • So many crazy good deals over last 3 years. I'm loaded. So are my friends. I have never owned this many goods in my life. If I buy a shirt with 50% discounted at $50, that's $50 waste for me.

Although many are buying iPhones, iPhones are consolidating multiple devices into one. I don't call that economic expansion.

There will be special offers throughout the year. No need to spend big during the holiday season.