Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Chinese eat Samsung and LG TV market share
  • South Korea's tech giants Samsung Electronics Co. and LG Electronics Inc. both saw their shares in the global flat TV market slide in the third quarter from three months earlier, dented by Chinese rivals' lower-price strategy, data showed Wednesday.

The share of market leader Samsung Electronics stood at 25.5 percent in the July-September period, down 6.3 percentage points from the previous quarter, according to the latest report by market tracker DisplaySearch.

The corresponding figure for LG Electronics, the world's No. 2, came in at 16.5 percent, down 2.0 percentage points over the cited period.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2014/11/19/66/0501000000AEN20141119008200320F.html

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy Seems like it was Sony and Panasonic who gave up TV market share to Samsung in the first place. Do you believe the pro camera business might become more aggressive, now? The game could be over for some -if not. Samsung might actually back-up their new camera hardware with some good software. Do you think the H.265 codex could become the new standard ...and everyone else get left behind? What do you think?

• Do you believe the pro camera business might become more aggressive, now?

What you mean?

Do you think the H.265 codex could become the new standard ...and everyone else get left behind? What do you think?

It is strange question, as H.265 is already standard. Just in very early days. Samsung clearly made huge mistake with not including H.264 option in NX1.

It is hard to sell camera if 95% of your customers won't be able to play video you make with it.

• @Vitaliy Thanks: Something is up with Samsung, but I'm not sure just what it is. You are right that HEVC has been around since at least 2012. You are right that it is still in its infancy. I'm not so sure how to classify just who is making the mistake, Samsung or Cankon. I am aware that H.264 was left out of the NX1 on purpose. Samsung did not wish to support it with this camera. I heard a rumor that may surprise you. I thought it odd, too. First thing, you need to ask yourself "Who benefits?" If we hear of major H.265 support within the next week, we will know who has been planning this all along. Who knows? I know my orders are back on and I expect delivery of the rest of it next week. I'm betting on Samsung shaking things up ...and there being some good deals for Christmas.

• You are right that HEVC has been around since at least 2012.

It is not true, H.265 drafts existed only. Final specs is very young, you can check 4K topic in News.

I am aware that H.264 was left out of the NX1 on purpose. Samsung did not wish to support it with this camera.

Read that I wrote first, please. Samsung are idiots. Period.

If we hear of major H.265 support within the next week, we will know who has been planning this all along. Who knows

What this all means? I do not understand most of your post at all.

Samsung is not shaking anything, they are just idiots from business point of view.