Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
eBay's new postage option: "the Global Shipping Program" = A nightmare!
  • I had recently 2 awful experiences as a buyer, with this quite new "shipping+taxes" option (or "Global Shipping Program") that eBay uses:

I bought the first item and eBay's shipping company had it for days in their storage place, without never contacting me for delivery. I tried to contact them, and I had to pay for the call €5 (~$6.5), as they charge €1.34 the call, then 0.36/min and they have you waiting for at least 10-12min, without finally accepting your call, with the excuse that the lines are too busy and that you'll have to call later again...

Finally, one day, they came to deliver, but without even ringing my bell, they put it (a signed-for shipment) inside my box...

The second one, they never delivered any parcel, but their tracking status indicates that they did delivered to my hands and that they've put my name as the person who received the parcel... When I opened a dispute on PayPal for this, Paypal in dt time, closed the case, with the excuse that they can't help on this and that I have to find a solution with the seller!... In any other similar case, if the seller had shipped via any other carrier, they could ask him to show them (to PayPal) the proof of delivery, asking this from the shipping carrier... If the shipping company couldn't prove that they had my real signature, then the money had to be returned to me. But as this new company is eBay's (so & PayPal's) business, they of course closed their eyes, as they can't blame their own company. SO, I lost $273.76...

I will NEVER-EVER buy any item from sellers that they are using this "Global Shipping Program" again! NEVER! I've found though that there are hundreds of others with similar, like mine, problems...

If you are selling on eBay and you want to avoid any negative feedback caused by similar cases, never use this option again please.

To be able to do so, please follow this next steps, to block this shipping option from your sales:

Your ebay>>account>>site preferences>>posting and packaging preferences>Offer the Global Shipping Programme, then on the right hand side of the screen change yes to NO and save changes.

By the way I have to say that, with this "Global Shipping Program", buyers are paying more on import taxes, than if they had to pay straight to their customs...

That's all from me.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I will NEVER-EVER buy any item from sellers that they are using this "Global Shipping Program" again! NEVER! I've found though that there are hundreds of others with similar, like mine, problems...

Well, it is good idea to add your country and location.

As eBay Global shipping works wonderfully (but not super fast), it is your local delivery company who screwed things. I never had any issues.

Whole Global Shipping thing is made for sellers who do not want to ship outside US, or have no time. They ship to address within US and ebay company do all the rest.

• Since I don't live in the states anymore, I have all my eBay stuff sent to me via Shipito. I use USPS Express Mail which becomes EMS when it gets to China. Paid too many customs fees using any other methods.

• I have all my eBay stuff sent to me via Shipito

Thing with Shipito on ebay is that you need to specify their US address as yours. Hence it will be sole Shipito responsibility after it arrives to them (not ebay or paypal). Plus in some bad mood days ebay is known for banning big number of people using such shippers (as scammers are also known for this to hide their real address).

In Russia Global Shipping is, in fact, better than usual EMS for most people, because they always call, arrange delivery time and call again before it. EMS does not care most of the time.

• Vitaliy, one detail is that when I searched some about this things, I found hundreds of people having similar problems like me. The company that delivers in France called GLS, it is not my choice, but theirs. So for me it is eBay's company, not just a carrier. They should be more careful on what they choose as partners.

I don't see why it is a good idea to use this program and pay taxes for any of my purchases and for everything I buy with a value of more than $24, instead of using any other shipping carrier and not paying any taxes at all.

All this thing it is very well manipulative, that targets to eBay's profit and only, rather than to protect you finally. And the most important is what I said already: I was never received my item, and now PayPal (as they are trying to protect their new business), said that I will not take anything back!.... Everybody here knows that we use these services for protection too, but this safety has now gone away in the name of their profit.

• All this thing it is very well manipulative, that targets to eBay's profit and only, rather than to protect you finally.

Well, but it protects you and it is mostly made not for ebay, but to force many US sellers to ship internationally. Many just do not want to make all customs declarations and take risks.

Fault on your side is not ebay, but rather local courier company.

• But where is the protection that they provide, Vitaliy? I said my example (and I'm not the only one who had similar problems and not only in my country)... Is that like a kind of protection for you?

• Is that like a kind of protection for you?

Well.

they never delivered any parcel, but their tracking status indicates that they did delivered to my hands and that they've put my name as the person who received the parcel

This is highly unusual. I think you need to contact courier company and ask them to make investigation.