Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Philip Bloom promoting 4K LG TVs
  • 20 Replies sorted by
  • Here is the 4K version of the promo -

• He has to find some way to pay for his duds. I've said it before, I'll say it again. Philip Bloom, fashionista.

• Not every videographer wears a safari vest, a ball cap, and skips showering every other day...

• Not every videographer wears a safari vest, a ball cap, and skips showering every other day...

Of course. But he must try, at least.

• Well, like him or not - there are people who swear by his endorsements , ahem....recommendations. I'm definitely not one of them.

• Should have filmed it with the Bolex. I love this quote from Gizmodo

Despite its superlative performance with games, for regular television and movie watching, the UB9800 really fell short in terms of display quality. Colors appeared washed out (and not just compared to the Sharp Q+; the LG's colors appeared dull even compared to my older Sony reference set), the contrast was appalling, and black levels never really got past charcoal grey no matter how much I fiddled with the picture aspects. And LG wants $7,500 for this? I don't think so.

Ouch.

• IMO, Gizmodo is not to be trusted in general regarding reviews. I'm sure they get some things right, but I've seen way too many awful reviews and insipid articles to take them seriously.

• That was embarrassing, clunky and awkward.

• Dear LG: Love your Ultra TV. But Bloom's hair killed the deal!

• Dear LG, please wake me up once you offer 4k OLED displays at reasonable prices - I'm sick and tired with the lack of static contrast that is common to all the edge-lit TVs of today.

• I'm sick and tired with the lack of static contrast that is common to all the edge-lit TVs of today.

Well, masses wanted thin TVs :-)

As for OLEDS, nature and physics made them pretty tough, burnout and small life.

• Real Cinematographers don't sell TVs. lol :-)

• I saw this on a 4K TV at Fry's Electronics, and chuckled... but the picture really is amazing.

• @shian I was prepared not to be amazed by the sets in the stores, but, in fact, they look awesome. Just that the LG's looked less awesome than the Samsung, and also the Vizio for $999 was no slouch.

For you old-timers, when the first 15' CRT monitors (not even 15") started appearing from budget companies, they had names like "Lak-Hui (pronounced "Lucky")" and "Goldstar."

In 1995 or so, we were all shocked when they gobbled up Zenith. How can you have a TV without Zenith and RCA? The name Zenith is a contraction of the ham radio handle "9ZN." They claim to have invented the first practical remote control and subscription TV. Isn't America great? Used to be, anyway.

Lucky+Goldstar=LuckyGoldstar, or "LG."

• LG's motto: Life's Good! When you have your 4K TV set up, you'll need good lighting for your living room:

• I have the new 55" Samsung, and honestly... It looks great. I'm sure it's not perfect, but I'll be darned if my Blu-rays don't look perfect. The Dark Knight, Mud, Goodfellas, Full Metal Jacket, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo . . . They all look correct, as do my Vimeo vids via Samsung's app.

Is it a pro grading monitor? No. But it's a helluva nice panel, and I reckon it's not terribly far off (once you tweak the settings).

• "4K cinematographer".

I guess working on IMAX allows me to put on my cv/resume "16K cinematographer"? :p

• If you've shot 16k for IMAX, you should.

• Wow, just wow...

• Whoah. That's one weak promo. But I do feel torn on buying a violin, piano, or chime set...