Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Rode Stereo VideoMic X
  • The mic features a matched pair of ½” true-condenser capsules, configured in a stacked X-Y configuration, providing a highly-immersive soundscape. Each capsule is supported by the Rycote® Lyre® shock-mounting system, providing isolation from vibration as well as knocks and bumps.

Digital switching on the rear of the SVMX allows the user to control the level adjustment (-10dB or +20dB), high-pass filter (0/75/150Hz) and an innovative high-frequency boost (+6dB @ XHz) designed to boost the intelligibility of dialogue.

In a first for the VideoMic range, professional-grade balanced outputs are available on the side of the body, in addition to the RF shielded 3.5mm stereo output cable.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • For really, really clear reference tracks

• Truly unfortunate that the array is locked into an XY pattern, which is pretty useless, along with a gap between the capsules. Would have been great to be able to adjust the pattern.

• I love the thing, but can't see spending $800 for an on camera mic.

• It only has 8 reviews at B&H, so it seems not too many people are willing to part with $800. But quality of sound and construction seems high.

• Are there some reasonably priced alternatives to this beast?

• I hope you're not asking me. I'm still learning the ropes. My understanding is that since this is not a directional/shotgun mic, it's main purpose if mounted on the camera would be to pick up ambient sound. But most cameras nowadays do a fairly good job of picking up ambient sound with their built-in mics, don't they? Mine does. So this might pick up better ambient sound, but not sure how anyone could justify the price. Especially since you're still going to need a second sound source to record away from the camera. And you're not going to be able to mount an actual shotgun mic to your camera, which it seems to me would be useful in more circumstances than this mic? Sorry I can't answer your question. NTG4+ is half the price and probably more versatile? The Rodelink Wireless is $400 and probably more useful. But don't take my advice.