Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 Exposure Settings for Rocket Launch
  • I would like to use the GH4 to capture a long-duration photo of a rocket launch in Titusville this evening (assuming weather doesn't scrub it - again). I'm trying to determine the best exposure settings to use to capture a nice "arc" in the sky.

Conditions
    ~7pm ET, sunset is at ~8pm ET, so the sky will be not be dark launch direction is east, away from the sun, heavy clouds likely to the west further reducing ambient light launch duration is probably 2-5 minutes

Lens
    I'm not exactly sure what focal length will be needed to capture the arc. I suspect 14mm (m43) is about right. I'm planning on using the 7-14mm Panasonic Lens, but I have other lenes available if they might be a better choice. The 12-35mm might be better because it offers some flexibility in the upper range.

Pre-Process

• Tripod Setup
    • Camera mounted in portrait orientation - may have to quickly switch depending on the trajectory of the launch relative to my position.
    • 3:2 aspect
    • RAW
    • Manual Exposure
    • Manual Focus
    • 2 Second Delay
    • Long Shtr NR = On
    • No filters planned, but do I need ND/IR filters? 7-14mm can't use filters, but if I use another lens, I'm concerned with reflections.

Photo Process

• Launch
    • Frame shot for ~30 seconds, guess-timate arc
    • Manual Focus on plume
    • Engage Shutter (wait 2 seconds)
    • Begin Exposure
    • Watch until arc nears frame edge (~1:30-4 minutes if I guess right)
    • End Exposure

I'm guessing the following exposure settings:

• ISO 100
    • A=f8
    • SS=B
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • to be 100% honest, there is really no possible way to give you any tips on this as it is very specific. It depends how much sun is reflecting off the rocket, how bright the actual tail of the rocket is, how far away you are etc. The settings you have there would probably be a good start but it's going to be trial and error and hope you get it!

• Launch scrubbed again due to weather. They will re-try on Monday evening.

In the meantime, I did some research and found a mobile app that takes a lot of the guess-work out of setting a baseline long exposure: NDCalc or NDCalc2. In short, you figure out proper exposure w/o ND filters, then NDCalc will tell you how long to expose (duration) after you add one or more ND filter/s. Very simple to use application. I did some test shots today and NDCalc2 was right on.

I'll need to do some more experiments to figure out how to handle the glare of the rocket...but at least I have a good way to determine baseline exposure.