Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Tablet that will play GH4 4k/UHD File
  • Has anyone come across a tablet that will play GH4 4k/UHD files in .MOV or .MP4 format smoothly? Obviously the result would be scaled, but I'm looking for an option to take on dive boats with me to backup and review footage taken throughout the day/trip. I'm not looking for tablets that "claim" they are 4k, but rather actual tablets that have been proven to play GH4 4K/UHD files smoothly. Thanks!

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • It is not so easy. For certain any Core i3-i5-i7 based tablet will play them, like Microsoft Surface.

For Bay Tail based tablets you need to check, looking for specs and evidence.

Among Android tablets top ones (like Samsung) and also some AllWinner based must be able to play 4k files.

Also note that it is good idea to have full size USB 3.0 port or SD card (not MicroSD!) reader if you plan to use this regularly.

• Thanks Vitality - I have a Asus TF700 Transformer tablet but it will not play them (have tried every app/codec combo I could find). I will keep searching.

• I have a Asus TF700 Transformer tablet

Of course, it is Tegra 3 based old tablet.

• iPad Air, iPhone 5S. So everything A7 and up, obviously. iPad 4 will work, but too high bitrate and it will drop sound. You can use the VLC Player App for that.

• It seems like most Chinese Android tablets are not so good for 4K:

play.jpg
    790 x 591 - 87K
  • I now have the Sony Xperia Z2 which seems to play 4k footage well. I went that route because it was being offered trough my mobile 4G provider and is basically a lease for my business - allowing me to trade-up every year or so. I've even been able to do some quick and dirty edits using android video editing software. So far MP4 (non LPCM) is the only format I can successfully edit.

• Well I love the Surface Pro 3. Superb rendering and playback of 4K video under WMP, elecard etc.

surface pro 3 tablet - effortlessly playsback 4K files from SD card.png
    720 x 540 - 694K
    4K under WMP.png
    1757 x 1440 - 2M
  • Well I love the Surface Pro 3. Superb rendering and playback of 4K video under WMP, elecard etc.

Surface Pro 3 has big issue - very heavy throttling of CPU due to bad cooling.

If you use it for editing and also use GPU acceleration (Intel one) it can drop to 1/3 of normal speed or lower.

• @ScubaBob The Nvidia Shield tablet has no issues playing back 4K footage direct from a microSD card. I use VLC player for Android and both .mov and .mp4 files play perfectly. I picked up a factory refurb at Tiger Direct for $240 and am thoroughly impressed with the performance and capability that you get for the money. I have not yet tried standard SD cards with a USB dongle, but you can just as easily run a microSD card in an SD adapter in the GH4.