Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
US: Chicago’s middle class going away
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • Chicago, like other major cities in the US, have voted ONE SIDED for Democrat Party politicians for decades, who are no longer public servants but quite often instead political Royalty puppets for Unions, be it the Teacher, Fire, Police, etc. and years of patronage and re-electing the same party results in corruption, crime and plundering of the public good, especially when it comes to unfunded pensions.

The failing schools indoctrinate kids into thinking the other political party is responsible for their problems. Meanwhile, the "opposite party" Republicans running for office are so liberal, they'd qualify as Democrats in other states in the south.

While state income taxes and property taxes are increased continually, Government overspending outpaces everything as the massive government monster consumes itself after driving away or having consuming all the healthy fish in the state.

Stockholm syndrome is the norm there, as people re-elect the same people (or their self-appointed family members) into office even in the middle of them being investigated by Congress or having been convicted of crimes... aka Jackson Jr., etc...

very sad state of affairs in Chicago, they continue drinking and re-ordering the poison as a cure to their ills because they were never taught to think independently in school...

• Chicago, like other major cities in the US, have voted ONE SIDED for Democrat Party politicians for decades, who are no longer public servants but quite often instead political Royalty puppets for Unions, be it the Teacher, Fire, Police, etc. and years of patronage and re-electing the same party results in corruption, crime and plundering of the public good, especially when it comes to unfunded pensions.

Cool, it is just not relevant. Even if they voted for "Green party of Greenland as US state" it won't change a things.

May be problems are inside the system, and not solved by changing one man with blue long thing to other man with red short thing periodically? You can check "Collapse of complex societies" for few possible causes :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

The State of Illinois is a tale of CITY vs RURAL population, a bi-polar state, whereas Chicago has been solid Democrat/Liberal Control for decades, yet the rest of the state outside the suburbs is rural and more Republican/conservative leaning. The political will and spending ability of the Democratic controlled Urban population of Chicago and corrupt Governors outstrips the rest of the state's rural population fiscal discipline, so the Urban area has bankrupted the entire state.

I don't like the two party system, but it seems the US with alternating 4 year Republican and Democratic President terms and split congress would be best for the public interest. Too many years of one party simply results in unchecked accelerated abuse of the public.

Illinois is a rather open book of Democratic collapse, it's not so complex, especially if you've lived there and paid property taxes for more than a few years

• The political will and spending ability of the Democratic controlled Urban population of Chicago and corrupt Governors outstrips the rest of the state's rural population fiscal discipline, so the Urban area has bankrupted the entire state.

If you look back you'll find actual data and posts here proving that same is happening to middle class all across US. And it has nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans. Of course some specific problems or indicators are always present. But it is whole picture that is similar.

I don't like the two party system, but it seems the US with alternating 4 year Republican and Democratic President terms and split congress would be best for the public interest.

Any actual statistics and data to back this?

• To me the whole political process needs to be revamped. Half of the time the Republicans and Democrats can't get jack shit done. The tax structure in the US is just ridiculous, the really rich get a tax break due to loopholes from lobbyist and the really poor get a tax break just as well and the middle class take it in the ass. To me a common sense approach would be everybody pays the same percentage of taxes lets say 10%. So if you make $1000.00 per paycheck you pay $100.00, if you make $100.00 you pay $10.00 this is totally fair and logical to me anyway.

Why is it that somebody like Mitt Romney only pays 14% but then I end up paying 37%. Meanwhile the US Government is blowing dough like its going out of style with no accountability in sight. Like I said there needs to be a revamp of lot of the laws in the US. I am grateful that I live in the US but our government is really irresponsible in a lot of different ways.

The problem with ( Modern American Society ) is that people only think about today. They are not concerned about other peoples lively hood or how a purchasing decision could impact somebodies lives. In this regard America sold itself off along time ago in my opinion.

Look at Chevron they make a whole shitload of money and what did they do, first they laid off a good portion of the middle management, then quite a few years later they laid of all of the truck drivers across the nation. Really? Did they really need to due this because of their fiscal situation? No they were already profiting in the billions of dollars but just want more and more and more.

This attitude IMO is precisely the problem and sooner or later it will catch up to America. There was a time when workers would say I worked at this company for 40 years and retired. There was loyalty on both sides from the workers and also from the owners of the companies those days are long gone.

I heard of several stories of companies laying of old timers because they where making more money and that they could hire 2 younger employees for the same salary that they were paying the old timer. Now I understand if the company is in dire straights financially and needs to lay off people but that is a different story. My point is that the MORAL compass of America is really off and it needs to be straightened out.

Pretty soon their will be no middle class just Rich and Poor. America needs some serious changes in our government, unfortunately the way the government is structured with all the lobbyist, politics and other bullshit I really don't see it changing, unfortunately it will probably just get worst.

I will give you a good example of how stupid our local politicians are in the state of Hawaii. There is a seatbelt law in Hawaii so basically anybody that is riding in a vehicle must be wearing a seatbelt, if you are caught without your seatbelt you will get a ticket and have to pay a $92.00 fine. Meanwhile it is perfectly legal to ride in the bed of a pickup truck with no restraints whatsoever WTF?

Anyways my rant is over ;-)