Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • Sanity 5 test with rokkor 58 f1.4, vivitar 70 210 f2.8 4.0 and rectimascop 48/2

• @tomson8877

Very nice. Which lens did you use to shoot the shots of the cargo boats? It's really sharp.

• @Ralph_B

thx, the rokkor 58mm 1.4 steped down to f 11 the anamorphic rectimascop up front i put on 30 m... real distance to the boats was about 15 m ... setting: dynamic +2,0,-1+2

• @Ralph_B

I am using Sanity 5 hack + Smooth profile and noticed the blacks are crushed just a little more than normal. Would this be the Hack or the color profile?

I'm just really looking for a normal neutral profile which I can spice up a but in my editing software. I really do not like to shoot super flat or saturated

thanks

• Shot in almost no light today, two purple spots. Thank you @Ralph_B. Donated a few bucks. Canon FD 50 1.4 SSC stepped down to 2.0, Smooth

vlcsnap-2012-10-03-22h30m01s13.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @FilmingArt I shoot nearly everything in standard -2 but with Sanity I turn the saturation up a tick or two.

• @FilmingArt

Sanity does not alter the film modes/color profiles in any way. It's an extremely accurate rendering of what the camera is putting out. So, just play with the different profiles and settings until you find something you like.

• @TraumManufaktur That is a really interesting Screen Grab. Did you do any noise reduction?

• @Ralph_B

I have a serious problem, for the first time I have seen this video footage breaking up in the scene. This was using the Panasonic 12-35mm lens around f/5.6 iso 160 with a high shutter speed of 320 I believe

Please Help!!!!

• @FilmingArt

Are you 100% sure this breaking up is present on the original MTS file? This is the first thing to check. Do you still have the file on the SD card? If so, try playing it back in the camera.

• It looks like it's coming apart in the computer to me too.

• @Ralph_B When I tried to play the file back in camera it says Error.

While I was shooting I noticed that when I panned in this scene I could see an insane amount of Aliasing on the camera's lcd screen. Looks like something got messed up and don't know what? I am using a Lexar Professional fast card so I don't know?

But Yes the problem was like this while recording. I am going to use another SDHC card as I have a shoot today and don;t have time to test Send a Blessing my way........ I will be back this evening

• @peternap Raw, untreated, was probably Iso 800. Later, with less light, I get more noise & grain. Had to turn on AutoIso, but it holds up. Do you have tips for this one? Thinking GhrainKiller on Blue Channel, and a Gradient/Powermask crush of the bottom half of the picture. PS: The FD 85mm 1.8 gave pretty hefty CA wide open. Edit: Did a mask crush and blur in Powergrade inside FCP X. Does that sell the image?

Voices pa.png
    1577 x 1041 - 6M
    Voices treata.png
    1634 x 1076 - 6M
  • @TraumManufaktur The screen grab looks nice. The light was tough for the skin color.

• @TraumManufaktur Yep, it cleaned up very well. Still some noise but read on.

I do a lot of wildlife pictures. I especially like bears. A couple of years ago a photographer asked me why his Grizzly photo's didn't sell. They were almost text book perfect where mine aren't. I gave him the best advice I could:

When you're in the woods, the wind is in the trees, it's cold and you have 700 pounds or so of animal within stick throwing distance with nothing but a camera and a 44 magnum between you two. It's exciting and awe inspiring. When someone looks at one of your photo's and are in a warm, safe room, you want them to feel the same way you did.

If someone looks at your work and says "My, that's a crisp clean video" you've lost them. But, if they look at it like I did at that first screen grab and get the feeling that you're in God's house listening to beautiful music.....you've got a winner.

My point is....a little noise here and there ain't necessarily a bad thing. It's the whole package that counts.

• @peternap Great story and a good lesson.

@TraumManufaktur Noise is always more noticable in a frame grab than it is when playing the movie at speed. I bet this scene looks pretty darn good when played normally. But if you want to clean it up totally, I'm a big fan of Neat Video.

• @Ralph_B

Using the Panasonic lens 12-35mm I was getting horrible horrible aliasing.... Is this something with Panasonic lenses?

• @FilmingArt

If you saw the image breaking up on the LCD screen while filming, this would indicate something happening in the camera upstream of the compression engine. This would have nothing to do Sanity or any patch because Vitaliy's hack cannot alter the picture on the LCD screen.

• @Ralph_B

Any suggestions what I can do? I provided a video a couple of pages back on what is happening....

• @FilmingArt

If I understand you, you said you were seeing the breaking up on the LCD screen while filming. This is not normal. I would suggest re-installing the stock firmware and see whether it goes away. If not, then the camera is defective.

• @peternap Great story! Thanks

Here's the film, might still give it another polish once there's time again do so.

• does anyone had some errors with this patch?

yesterday for the first time I had two times in a row an error " motion picture recording was canceled because of the limitation of the card speed " on SanDisk Class 10 45MB/s UHS-1 I was recording in 720p 50 3200ISO shutter 25 and 4 aperture with stock lens 14-140.

is the card maybe faulty? I will make some codec stress test with trees but maybe the patch have some weak spots?

I had this error a lot in the first phase of the GH2 hack when recording in 720p 50 mode with B-frames, but the sanity seams that had resolve that issue.

• @TraumManufaktur I cringe when I ask for a critique because there are always a hundred things that are subjective and can be beaten to death. I'll say this and leave it alone.

IMO, you nailed it. Sound was good, IQ was good, perspective was good, it flowed, etc. I usually watch the first 20 seconds of these with the sound low. I watched yours all the way with the sound up a little.....If that tells you anything.

Sanity 5 was made for that type of video.

• @oneday Sanity 5 is as near bulletproof as they come and a 45mb card works fine with it. My guess is you have a bad card or a fake.

• the good thing is that the files are OK, it just stopped the recording and nothing else, there was no need even for the restart of the camera or taking out the battery (when the camera won't turn off

as for the card, all of my cards I have bought from amazon directly from the SanDisk,

usually when I had that kind of error the files were broken, so I was very happy to see that the files are Ok