Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • People who says "I see even Grain at ISo200" and so on: Did you try the same with GH2? I'm sure, in a dark, underexposed Picture, you will see also see grain or noise in GH2 at ISO200. I don't see any clue that GH3 would have more noise than GH2. I for myself will buy GH3 and keep the GH2 at the same time. So i have 2 Bodys.

• Hi, not sure if someone has already mention this: http://lumix.jp

Since last week GH3 press release, I have been checking the lumix Japan site, but so far only the 35-100mm zoom lens has been announced, no news related to GH3.

I don't know whether this is just common practice in Japan, i.e. a product will be announced only when it's close to shipment, or GH3 is an exception, where even Panasonic Japan marketing team thinks the spec is not really finalised (?)

• I downloaded the Voltemort test. It seems to me that it's not straight out of the camera but a nle export file.

• @LongJohnSilver I think on his site he stated he graded it with an apple rep at another booth so no idea what that might play in some of the different skin tones on some shots.

• We are all looking forward to testing a GH3 side-by-side with a well hacked/set-up GH2...

BUT WAIT A MINUTE! After a couple ciders tonight I had a flash of insight.

Surely Panasonic would have spent a few hours of effort already to have done this to prove to themselves that the GH3 has better image quality? Of course they have...that's so obvious a thing to do.

I will now sleep much better knowing that we have nothing to worry about...and that the new MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE GH3 will outperform my old tech GH2's...:)

• @RatLabProductions Thanks

So it's clueless as usual

• GH2UW : i agree with you! And can anyone upload Video and Image-Samples with ISO 3200 or higher?

• @LongJohnSilver unless the GH3 have a built-in NLE, of course an edited sequence is not straight out of the camera... no need to download &/or pixel peep to discover that.

• I think like all cameras we've got to use it for the job and forget the specs. If anything I feel the DSLR revolution has made us spoilt by getting so much for so little. Try putting things in perspective when we were recording in standard definition, had no slo-mo, etc.

• I don't no if it is already posted? http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/pressrelease/gh3_hs35100/index.html

About the new stereo mic:

It is designed with metal to offer a sophisticated look.

LoL

• @astraban bright clarification

• @DealjagdLtd

And can anyone upload Video and Image-Samples with ISO 3200 or higher?

I can :)

Not that they are any good pictures, they were just taken with high ISOs. Here 25.600 ISO

ISO-25600.JPG
    4608 x 3072 - 8M
    ISO-25600-2.JPG
    4608 x 3072 - 7M
  • Here one 12.800 ISO

ISO12800.JPG
    4608 x 3072 - 5M
  • Here one 6.400 ISO

ISO6400.JPG
    4608 x 3072 - 4M
  • And one with only 125 ISO

ISO125.JPG
    4608 x 3072 - 4M
  • @Thank you Dieter Sensei! ;-)

• Did you google? :)

But Sensei is for japanese arts. I am from a flipino art :) More in PM if you want.

• I read the page in panasonic.com it clearly mentions about new auto focus mode in video which could probably track subject better. lets hope for better continuous focus on moving subject. did anyone tested this option with 12-35 x lenses????

• It was not the final speed yet as far as I know

• @aked "it was not the final speed" but was there any improvement in video autofocus at all or is it just theory for now?

• There is no BIG issue on FPN (fix pattern noise) and i come to belive the iso 28.000 is very software made, since FPN should be much more evident in such mode. If not, the sensor is some good mother...fu..r.

I also belive new way of color dithering is aplied in this GH3, since its 8 bit and all footage ive seen and analize seems to handle better color, the banding, and 8 bit tipical color problems are not that harsh too.

In my opinion those features by itself and improved sensor is enough to buy one. In GH1 and belive me, iso 6200 was shit, and seeing this GH3 iso looking like iso 800 on GH1 is about as good as it can be for a 2 generation step in sensor or camera. Canon is a sensor slave, look how many "APS-C" cameras they have with same shit sensor, even their new generation mirrorles. On every GH series there was a unique sensor, we have the "look" that somehow GHx m4/3 can achive even at AVCHD. Now the coder is much improved, tha camera is of alloy and stuff. Ive reed this thread and for what i can see, sensor wise, was panasonic the designer of it, and the circuit behind it in other layers is sony design... So, somehow we wont loose the look from pana.

I think is it will be much much better than GH2, like x 3 if proper hack is developed. h.264 is more open standard by itself than AVCHD... and you have the benefit of quicktime for those mac pussys. So..who knows..maybe even only 24p, 4K is possible with new encoder at h.264. It has much better prosessor.

If sony helped a bit by making this possible, way to go men, only panasonic manages the firmware, design and hack wise knowlege as far as this website can give. I think the developement was for shure hack influented and we will have some good surprises when this is possible. We count on you @VK. :D

I think is a win win for all of us.

• @konjow I did not feel it. But the camera I played around most had the 14-140 attached and the new speed only really works with the new ones, 12-35 and 35-100. I had one with the 12-35 and there is was not terribly fast. But I am sure that is fixed with the final firmware. Markus Matthes (senior product manager) said, that the speed will still improve also the "speed" of the viewfinder.

• I just checked the GH-3 specs at B&H. The video section only lists 60Hz frame rates. Does that mean there is a PAL version and an NTSC version?

• I could live with the GH3's slightly increased crop factor however the biggest issue I still see is the apparent increase in moire/aliasing over the GH2.

Once the GH3 is officially released we'll soon know whether the moire seen so far is the result of the GH3's internal lens correction or not.

If the moire only appears when correction is used, and as long as Panasonic doesn't pull any Canon 5D MK3 style filtering stunts which will kill the fine resolving power the GH2 has been famous for, then I think overall the GH3 will be a winner.

Fingers crossed!

• Yup, it's 4-2-0 alright.

Here's a frame grab from one of Dieter's GH3 videos. This is enlarged 2X with nearest neighbor in Photoshop. You can clearly see the reduced chroma resolution around the man's head in the red and blue channels.

This is no worse or better than the GH2 or thousands of other cameras out there. But it does force you to make compromises when pulling a key.

4-2-0.jpg
    987 x 325 - 152K
    RGB.jpg
    329 x 325 - 77K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions