Personal View site logo
35-100mm F2.8 X lens topic

Specifications:

• Lens Construction - 18 elements in 13 groups (2 ED lenses , 1 UED lens)
    • Nano Surface Coating
    • Optical Image Stabilizer - POWER O.I.S.
    • Focal Length: f=35-100mm (35mm camera equivalent 70-200mm)
    • Aperture Type: 7 diaphragm blades / Circular aperture diaphragm
    • Maximum Aperture: F2.8
    • Minimum Aperture: F22
    • Closest Focusing Distance: 0.85m / 2.8ft
    • Maximum magnification: Approx. 0.1x / 0.2x (35mm camera equivalent)
    • Filter Size: 58mm / 2.3in
    • Max. Diameter: Approx 67.4mm / 2.7in
    • Overall Length: Approx. 99.9mm
    • Weight: Approx. 360g

Good to have separate one :-)

Reviews and previews:

Samples:

Price: $1499

Available at:

Extra:

• 154 Replies sorted by
  • Samples:

http://www.lumix.ro/blog/2012/09/lumix-35-100mm-image-samples/

PR:

Panasonic has today launched a new addition to its LUMIX G Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) range, the H-HS35100 - an X series 35-100mm F2.8 compact zoom lens. Designed for compatibility with the Micro Four Thirds System, the elegant metal body means the LUMIX G X 35-100mm lens is bright and precise delivering outstanding quality. Ready for adventure, the LUMIX G X 35-100mm lens is weather sealed – dustproof and splashproof – so you can always capture the action in a dusty desert or sailing the Seven Seas.

With a maximum aperture of F2.8 available throughout the entire zoom range, the LUMIX G X 35-100mm lens will provide exceptional detail even in low light situations. Beautifully warm shots are possible with the exceptionally shallow depth of field, giving you incredible creative control over background blur – perfect for portrait photography.

Giving photographers and videographers a powerful and versatile tool, the LUMIX G X 35-100mm perfectly complements the LUMIX G X 12-35mm lens so your kit bag is ready for any scenario. Continuing to deliver the outstanding high-quality of the LUMIX G series, the LUMIX G X 35-100mm and LUMIX G 12-35mm lens are the ideal fit for the new LUMIX GH3 – premium quality, weather sealed and ready for action.

The lens incorporates Panasonic’s Power O.I.S. optical image stabiliser, which makes it easy to shoot extremely clear photos even in low-light situations - especially at high zoom - by suppressing the blur caused by handshake. For stunning clarity, the LUMIX G X 35-100mm lens is treated with Panasonic's Nano Surface Coating technology, minimising reflection across the entire visual light range (380nm-780nm) by applying the extra-low refractive index coating with nano-sized structures on the surface of the lens.. This significantly reduces the amount of ghosting and lens flare.

The LUMIX G X 35-100mm F2.8 is the latest addition to Panasonic’s LUMIX G microsystem, which includes the world’s largest range of Micro Four Thirds lenses and accessories, making sure you have the right set-up to capture every moment.

x_lens5.jpg
    639 x 600 - 68K
    x_lens6.jpg
    606 x 600 - 34K
  • Danm, where will I steal $2800 to nab the 12-35mm and the 35-100mm lol.

• @HillTop1 yep I would like to get them in same way ;)

• Gh3 + 12-35 x + 35-100 x will be the most successful hit kit

• GH3 + 7-14mm + 12mm F2.0 + 17mm F1.8 + 25mm F1.4 + 35-100mm F2.8 + 100-300mm kit would be ideal. That kit would fit easily in a small camera back pack.

It is probably still less than most of the older full frame camera bodies alone.

• I'm a Nex user, and i'm almost conviced to buy the GH3, when i have the GH1 the rubber of the zoom on the 14-140mm become loose and no way to change it, obviously this made me mad and complaint about the quality of the Lumix lens.

My question is, this new X series is better builded than the first lens generation?

• I am also not impressed with Panasonic GH1/2 constructions. Ditto for the 14-140mm. The build is no where near the Olympus 7-14, 14-35, 35-100, 150 or even the 14-54. Given the price on the 35-100/2.8, the build from the photo does not really excite. The MFT curves though are excellent.

• @xenogears

The build quality of the 12-35 is way better than any other panny lens I´ve used. However, I wouldn´t say it´s all good anyhow. If you check the 12-35mm lens thread you will find out, and what to expect of the 35-100mm. It´s not all roses for video. Really great lens, optically speaking. It basically replaces a lot of previous m43 "hit" lenses in one go.

• The optical elements of the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8:

P1240299.jpg
    3823 x 1683 - 3M
  • Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 (@100mm f/2.8) and 12-35mm f/2.8 (@35mm f/2.8) took a photo of each other :-)

P1240368.jpg
    4352 x 2408 - 4M
  • what I don´t get - why couldn´t they have made the 12-35 bigger and avoid the extension of the front element? (when zooming). Obviously the optical schemes are different, BUT it SHOULD be possible.

• That dpreview article repeatedly harps on the fact that f2.8 lenses don't produce as narrow a depth of field on MFT sensors as they do on full frame sensors. But what they never mention is the counter-balancing drawback of full frame cameras: when you have to use a wide aperture to shoot in low light, that slim DOF is often too narrow to keep your subject in focus. Even with the GH2's moderate DOF, I often find apertures wider than f2 have too narrow a DOF to be useful.

• @Lpowell I AGREE! shooting on my APS-c, i often find that if I have to open up the aperture for light It's too shallow of DOF! even worse when shooting on my buddy's mk2.

• Just wanted to bump this thread up. There was one available in the US last night but it was sold before I could get it. Please let me know if anyone knows where to get this lens in the US this week. I really, really need it for 3 separate events this weekend.

I have a horse show, half marathon, and BMX freestyle comp(I know I like obscure sports) this weekend and the 35-100mm F2.8 would be ideal for all of these. I was hoping to shoot with it and the GoPro simultaneously. That might give some nice comparison videos.

If you guys hear anything please let me know. I am willing to pay for next day shipping if I can get it by Saturday morning.

• Just talked to Samy's. They got 12 of the 35-100mm F2.8 lenses in stock. Mine will ship today or tomorrow with next day air so I will have it for the weekend. Any things you all are interested in seeing tested?

I plan on checking for IS and Shutter vibration issues, optimal focal ratio, and sharpness across the focal range. It should perfect for the focal ranges I have already. Approximately 14mm-24mm with the GoPro, 14mm F2.5, 25mm F1.4, 45mm F1.8, 14-140mm, and 800mm F4.0.

• This video shows a demonstration of the new Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 lens. It is an expensive but very versatile lens. I received mine from samys.com today. The lens is exceptionally sharp even wide open at F2.8. The 35-100mm has in lens image stabilization that as you can see in the video works extremely well in both stills and video modes.

This lens is not that much longer and actually narrower than the 14-140mm. The weights really are not that much different either. However, the 35-100mm has about 2 stops advantage over the 14-140mm across its focal range.

The 35-100mm is par-focal so it maintains its focus as you zoom. However, the 14-140mm is par-focal as well.

I haven't seen any of the stepped aperture issues that plagued the 12-35mm F2.8 lens. However, I have not been able to fully test that yet. In addition I have not seen in CA(Chromatic Aberrations) or other distortions with this lens. The image quality of it is unmatched by any other m4/3s I have tested. This is expected with a lens this expensive though.

The 35-100mm lens emits very faint whirring and whining noises from the continuous auto focus motors. They are faint but you can hear them if you put your ear up next to the lens. I couldn't hear the noises in any of the videos I took.

The auto focus with the GH2 + 35-100mm is extremely accurate and it does not hunt at all. However, it can be slow to refocus in very dark situations where the focus point changes very quickly.

I have uploaded the still images from the video at the link below.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4222674355/albums/35-100mm-f2-8-samples

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3293287

• I just thoroughly tested the 35-100mm and have determined that it has a stepless aperture unlike the 12-35mm. You can clearly see that the aperture adjustment is stepless during filming. I will upload a video of this tonight.

• Which modes did you test? Creative Movie Mode with full manual exposure?