Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • I'm recording in 24P with Sanity 5 and noticed that the average birate of my MTS files end up somewhere around 13-15K. This is smaller than the stock bitrate. Are you guys seeing the same thing?

• hi...cool video....what sanity hack version did you use?? which presets/frame rates/bit rates? you mention a Lomo 10MM...can you tell me a bit about that lens???

• I'd like to present my last professional job with the GH2, and since I'm here of course I used the Sanity hack. It's fairly long - 25 minutes. Took it up and down Philippines' highest mountain with no problems (except my rib that got busted on a fall!). The grading held up very nicely too. Highly recommended! Client was stunned at the quality that came out of this li'l beast - which of course goes without saying here! (Sorry can't embed) vimeo.com/43752943

• hey thanx!!....only had the camera for a few weeks, but there is no WAY I would have figured THAT out...

• @sinfafun

There's only one way to set it. Turn the dial on the top of the camera to M (movie mode), then Menu - Creative Movie - HBR. It won't say 30P anywhere, but if you're shooting NTSC, that's what HBR will record. If you're shooting PAL, then HBR records 25P.

• hi...pardon the slight off topic, but how do you record 1080/30P with sanity 5.0????

• You meant ECT mode?

• The standard 14-42 Pannie lens.

(I forgot to label the first shot as one I did with the extra-auto-zoom feature switched on. That's the shot that's just the stone bridge. The ones that follow are all in standard mode.)

• Which lenses did you use on GH2?

• These videos were shot along the Schuykill River and along the Wissahickon Creek in Philly, to test out my Panasonic GH2. I've used Vitaly's hack and the Sanity 5 patch. All GH2 shots used the ISO setting of 640 (and yes, I did the routine to avoid the noise bug, i.e., switch to 800 then switch back to 640).

The Sanity 5 patch uses a 24H bitrate of 38000000. The TM7600's bitrate is about 28000000.

I can't see much of a difference between the two cameras. There is a bit of noise in the darker areas of the GH2's footage-- it's visible when I played the video straight from the GH2 camera-- but it doesn't seem to be very noticeable.

I'd love to hear opinions, observations, etc. about the image quality.

• @nobbystylus Run a test before you shoot. Don't risk anything. Use 24L. Make sure everything works. If it doesn't, try a different card. People have reported problems with some 45mbs cards.

• Ordered. Thanks!

• The card should be readable by any SDXC reader, but I like this el cheapo USB 3.0 one - works great for me: http://goo.gl/Umsyf

• Ok. Cool... I'll always shoot something when I approach the 11 min mark to be sure.

• @mo7ies... btw - will I need a special card reader to go with my new card? I have an older Sony Memory Stick PRO model #MRW62E-T. Circa 2008.

• If you were shooting for longer than 11min straight, depending on the patch and the content of the video, it could have spanned after that.

I'm actually not sure how to positively check whether the last video spanned or not - anyone?

• You guys rock! Is there a way to know if something spans or not "in camera"? Or should I always shoot a short clip before switching off to be safe?

• @tl2bass - no, the card will span on its own. Once it spans though, and you turn the camera off and then back on, nothing else can be recorded on the card. It's the glitch.

The fix: after it spans and before you shut off the camera... record a short clip. A few seconds would do. Then you turn the cam off/on, and it will be ready to record again.

• Hold up... what's this short clip recording thing? If I understand correctly I must record a short clip of something (how long is "short"?) immediately after recording anything if I want to span correctly? Please advise, hack masters! :)

• I've got a long take shoot to do in the morning and have switched back from FM2 to Sanity 5. My issue is the camera will be locked off and unmanned for at least 45 mins. I need to shoot high res (so 1080p) and we'll be moving on a boat for around an hour, pretty slowly. Do i go for 24L and risk it for Spanning on a 32gb 45mbs card? Just wondering what will be reliable. I only get one go at this so it needs to work!

• I get 1 hour of video with Sanity v5 1080p24H, shooting landscapes (NYC skyline with moving clouds), in 4GB file easily!

Indeed super efficient, and excellent for timelapse (just speed it up in post as needed!)

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3305/timelapse-with-sanity-v5

• Don't you read the manual? :)

Ummm, yeah... about that... ;)

• @Daegor

With 4GB you get 13 minutes at 24H and about 11.5 minutes at HBR 30P. Because Sanity 5 is super efficient, it's possible you might get longer recording times, depending on the subject matter.

• @mo7ies - And don't go higher than ISO 3200. All this is in the patch notes. Don't you read the manual? :)

• @Ralph_B - that's awesome news! I tried it on location with the fantastic Olympus 14-35mm http://goo.gl/Kc7x0 via the Panasonic adapter http://goo.gl/rlF3N , and it did not span - alas, that adapter is electronic and GH2 probably sees the lens as a native one, I guess. Will try some manual lenses next time!