Personal View site logo
Panasonic S5M2 with Phase Hybrid AF
  • 64 Replies sorted by
  • For the french fries...

• "the engineers in Japan told me that they have been working on phase detect for a long time"

BTW: Some weak rumors about a possible firmware ugrade for the GH6?! Suggesting that the GH6 sensor already have the PDAF points, but not yet implemented. Sounds like a wild idea.

• Weak points:

IPB compression
    60 FPS only with crop
    Slow sensor read out

• Unfortunately the S5 IIX only does 1080 ProRes internal recordings. I hope they add 2K ProRes as well! Because that's a very common resolution with ProRes. And SD cards can handle 2K. (and the SD cards is why it doesn't have 4K ProRes, and records to an external USB drive instead)

BTW: Some weak rumors about a possible firmware ugrade for the GH6?! Suggesting that the GH6 sensor already have the PDAF points, but not yet implemented. Sounds like a wild idea.

That is a wild rumor indeed!!!

• @IronFilm Despite all the glory the S5M2 is a FF budget camera I presume.

• Budget in price only! Flagship camera in any other measure for an aspiring filmmaker.

• @IronFilm - the camera body does not live a separate life, it's part of a larger lens ecosystem.

• @IronFilm - Panasonic adressed the GH6 PDAF in todays live stream from CES.

In short: The GH6 does not have hidden PDAF points on the sensor and you need the whole new package like the L2 (L square) processor to make Phase hybrid AF work.

And as usual no comment on possible future products.

• Sean Robinson of Panasonic talks about the new S5 Mark II, S5 Mark II X and the 12-28mm lens.