Personal View site logo
AMD Ryzen aka Zen CPU - Broadwell-E Performance at a Lower Price Point
  • 76 Replies sorted by
  • I cannot wait for multisoket opterons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• @Tron

Good thing to understand that in video export such notebook can be slower than 2 core cheap Intel one due to absence of QuickSync.

• Vitality can you give specific examples of fast quick sync exports. I always hear very vague answers with no specific examples when I read about quicksync here

• @cls105

What exactly do you want to know?

We have topic http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/16941/encoders-in-nles-and-gpu-support#Item_15

It is nothing vague, it just fully hardware encoder, very fast one and good if you export at high bitrates.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Agreed, but it'll depend on the NLE and what it's been optimized for... Vegas seems to prefer more cores and Open CL.

This machine is great for punks who want to run 4 games simultaneously or travel with virtual machines in tow. It's a bit heavy for my taste though.

• Agreed, but it'll depend on the NLE and what it's been optimized for... Vegas seems to prefer more cores and Open CL.

OpenCL is not used for encoding normally. Only effects and transitions.

Issue with Vegas is that it was abandoned and now on life support (as it is almost free money flowing to pockets). I also do not much understand any need to cling to it still.

Difference between NVENC, VCE, QuickSync and using more cores, especially in notebooks is immerse (as cores are extremely energy inefficient).

• Vegas gets the job done for me. It scales up to 16 threads. I can import and export H265 natively, which some other NLEs seem to continue to have serious problems with. It has native Pro-Res support and plug-in availability is decent overall. Eventually I'll move to Resolve if the interface proves that it can cut material as quickly and with stability. QuickSync isn't widely adopted on professional NLEs, so it doesn't really impact my buying decisions.

• QuickSync isn't widely adopted on professional NLEs, so it doesn't really impact my buying decisions.

What is "professional" NLE? Is Premiere Pro CC 2017, Edius 8.5, Sony Catalyst unprofessional?

For normal editor you usually do not need 16 threads, and, I can surprise you, most of the time threads loading reports can be misleading (they do not represent real CPU load accurately).

NLEs direction is now opposite and fast changing, with load to GPU and fixed blocks increasing with CPU left with more easy tasks. In 2016 we had big GPU performance jump, and in this and 2018 year it will be even more with HMB2 memory.

Btw, H.265 support came from another Magix team and another product. H.265 is even better example of codec where you badly need fixed decoders and encoders.

• 2nd gen coming soon

sa923.jpg
    491 x 450 - 42K
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1400 4-Core 3.4GHz Processor deal for $121

Use PGIFTS10 code

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262941708241

• AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) for $349

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113430

• Official prices drop

sa1311.jpg
    800 x 414 - 78K
  • Interesting to see if there is a massive chip dump of high end CPU's that can't be bug proofed....

• Ryzen APU launched

AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) today introduced the world's most powerful graphics on a desktop processor with the release of two Ryzen™ Desktop processor with built-in Radeon™ Vega graphics models.1 Now available, AMD Ryzen™ 5 2400G and AMD Ryzen™ 3 2200G processors combine four of the latest "Zen" CPU cores with advanced Radeon "Vega" architecture on a single chip, offering leadership levels of system and graphics performance3 at their respective $169 USD SEP and $99 USD SEP price points.

"When we launched our first Ryzen processors a year ago, we began driving innovation and competition across the PC market. We remain dedicated to this mission throughout 2018, as we further strengthen our Ryzen portfolio by adding two leadership APUs designed to meet the varying needs of today's PC users," said Jim Anderson, senior vice president and general manager, Computing and Graphics Business Group, AMD. "AMD Ryzen Desktop APUs are a perfect example of the innovation we bring to market for consumer and commercial PC users. Combining our high-performance CPU and GPU architectures, this new category of Ryzen desktop processors is designed to deliver a smooth overall computing experience, as well as the ability to enjoy true 1080p HD gaming, eSports or advanced display features through the visual fidelity of the built-in Radeon Vega graphics."

An advanced feature set further enhances the performance of Ryzen desktop APUs. Improved AMD SenseMI technology4enables lower power usage at higher frequencies and reduced memory latencies. The new APUs also support Precision Boost 2, a multi-core boost algorithm that enables higher frequencies in gaming and real-world applications. And, with their built-in graphics, these new processors are compatible with Radeon™ FreeSync technology and compatible displays for effortlessly smooth gameplay5.

HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPUTING

The Ryzen 5 2400G processor delivers

• The same graphics performance in a single processor as combining the $199 USD Intel Core i5-8400 with an $89 USD NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 discrete gaming GPU6
    • Up to 156% more graphics performance than the Intel Core i5-84007
    • Up to 21% more system performance than the Intel Core i5-84008
    • Up to 39% faster graphics performance when overclocked9

DROP-IN COMPATIBILITY

Continuing the commitment to long-term stability with an exemplary customer experience in mind, Ryzen Desktop APUs support the same Socket AM4 infrastructure as Ryzen™ Desktop CPUs. Therefore, the new processors are compatible with the existing AM4 ecosystem of 120+ motherboards, requiring only a simple BIOS update.

UNLOCKED PERFORMANCE

Like all AMD Ryzen Desktop processors, Ryzen Desktop APUs are unlocked for performance tuning of CPU, DRAM, and GPU settings through the AMD Ryzen™ Master overclocking utility to enable even more performance for users who appreciate the freedom to overclock.

AVAILABILITY

Ryzen Desktop Processors with Radeon Vega Graphics are globally available today through etailers and retailers for use with the wide selection of AM4 motherboards currently in market. Exciting OEM systems with Ryzen Desktop Processors with Radeon Vega Graphics are expected in market in the coming months. Customers can get the latest product pricing and purchase information of AMD Ryzen Desktop APUs at AMD.com today.

• Benchmarks

sa1717.jpg
    598 x 448 - 33K
    sa1718.jpg
    596 x 449 - 31K
    sa1719.jpg
    595 x 447 - 36K

sa1720.jpg
    617 x 480 - 36K
    sa1721.jpg
    505 x 623 - 52K
  • Important note

Almost all benchmarks above have not much meaning for real video editing.

Intel CPU with QuickSync paired with NVidia GPU are supported by most good software and will be much faster.

For Ryzen APU - it fully lacks QuickSync, and almost no software support AMD build in decoding/encoding acceleration. Add here GPU that are much worse supported and that has very slow memory.

• Video editing

sa1770.jpg
    765 x 319 - 52K
  • i5 with 6 cores beats the i7 with 4/8 ht.

• Ryzen 7 1700 for $206 with cooler and shipping

gearbest.com/cpu/pp_931453.html?wid=1349303&{track_code}

• Upcoming 3200G and 3400G info

Both will come with same 4 cores as previous generation, 2400G will have SMT.

3400G frequency will be at 3.8-4.1 Ghz range with soldered metal plate, instead of using thermal paste as in 2000 generation of APUs. GPU will be Vega 11 with 704 stream cores.

3200G frequency will be 3.6-2,9 Ghz, with same properties as larger brother. GPU will be Vega 7 with 512 stream cores.

Total progress will be just 200Mhz, and they are using Zen+ last year cores, so more is impossible.

• Leaked slide

sa8701.jpg
    800 x 449 - 66K