Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5 camera, actual users feedback
  • 216 Replies sorted by
  • @alcomposer - I really wish they had added a second port for full Panasonic LANC control. As is we only get record start/stop and zoom. Perhaps once tethering is available via USB it might be possible to make a LANC controller to USB unit?

• @Umii I don't have VLogL yet, (on way) so haven't played yet. I'm just super happy with the 422 10bit however, even with CineD 0-5-5-5. And now I have been playing with fast Panasonic Glass, I am almost at the point I want to ditch manual lenses and go to Panasonic Glass for video. Only thing holding me back is decent control of focus. I am a complete focus control freak. :-)

• @alcomposer yes, vlog and Rec709 greyed out in 6k photo mode. They are available in 4K 10bit anamorphic film mode tho. Will be interesting to see what gets released in future firmware upgrades looks to be plenty of scope for some more fun stuff to come!

• @Umii, what? We can't select vlog for 6k??? I thought vlog was now a standard profile for still photos as well? :-(

I hope when anamorphic video mode gets released we get the same bit rate and resolution options.

• @Alcomposer I'm pretty sure it's around 190 a less scientific test I noticed today by chance is set it to record 4K 10bit and see how much it says you can record mine says 55m42sec then set to 6k photo mine says 41m45 sec which implies it's expecting to store more data but would support what you see, shame can't choose vlog for 6k 4:3 that would keep anamorphic folks happy :)

• I recorded a h256 6k photo sequence the other day and ffmpeg told me it was 190mbs, thought it was wrong. Maybe the 6k photo mode isn't 100mbps like stated? Or VBR?

• @umii

Thanks for sharing. This is actually not a good AF test. I am thinking a difficult scene where the horse or subject runs towards a camera at 300mm tele or at least 175mm.

I can see some minor compression artifacts. The rolling shutter bend is quite minimal.

Average bitrate is 214 Mbs !

• @vesku seems to work well I had a play today, here's an example was on AFC 225 area, shutter priority at 1/1000 auto iso hand held with the 45-175 (with new firmware) I left af sensitivity at 0, switching at 0 moving object +2, using ffmpeg to just dump to png image sequence for now that seems to be easiest way to look at them for me. (ffmpeg -i .\P1000011.MP4 .\11_out\11_%02d.png) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99048946/6k/P1000011.MP4

I have been just filming at 4k 10bit at a high shutter speed and pulling stills as needed + can give a video at the same time, might see if I can film a whole round at 6k next time not worried about it being 4:3 I actually think that is a nice ratio to film at nowadays if the target is mobile etc.

• Is the 6k photo AFC good enough for moving subjects for example sports photos? It uses video AF. GH4 4k photo AFC is very slow.

• I was riding my mountain bike this evening and spotted this Canadian Geese family so I shot a few stills and this video.

• @Umii

Thank you very much! It i exactly what I wanted to see. I can play it with Media Player Classic (latest version: https://mpc-hc.org/downloads/) and Pot Player (although both feature frame dropping on my system even though both the CPU and GPU are not 100% utilized). For the moment Premiere can not decode the file but I've read they'll fully support GH5 video formats after the summer update.

• @Umii

Thanks for file.

It is very high quality 192 Mbit/s long GOP HEVC file. Exif says iso100, Standard profile 0,0,0,0. I can play it with Potplayer but it is not playing smooth in my old computer. When I adjust gamma or saturation heavily up and down I cant get any banding or macro blocking. I think this is quality like a 500 Mbit h.264 ipb file or 1000 Mbit intra.

• @Eno is this what you were looking for I put it in drop box as public it's 6k 3:2 wide angle (10mm slr magic) with lots of detailed plant life! I just noticed you wanted not moving, I did it hand held but wasn't exactly waving the camera around, if that's no good I'm out again with it tomorrow and can take something locked down. vegetation is a tiny bit under exposed but I didn't have any graduated filters with me and it was quite a high dynamic scene but just squeezed it in I think.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99048946/6k/P1000006.MP4

Out of interest how are you processing that, I tried a few of my usual suspects for dealing with that sort of thing and got pretty poor results transcoding it etc and can't play it with anything with out the player crashing.

• I have a small request:

Can anybody here (which already has the GH5) do a 6K 3/2 video with the GH5, something with a lot of details (outside, with grass or vegetation) , standard profile from a wide angle and the camera fixed (not moving, panning etc), about 20 second or so and upload it to wetransfer.com

I thank you very much in advance!

• @c3hammer, another thing I can think of is whether you deleted or back-leveled any video and audio codecs as part of your uninstalling the trial software. make sure your codecs are up to date. Microsoft has an official codec pack for these exact purposes.

• @aked, I tried, but it failed to restore to a previous date. I had made too many changes.

@Zaven13, it's not a player issue. It was working perfectly with any footage from any cam before I started testing NLE's. Only after uninstalling a few of the trial versions did it start to stutter and lose audio sync.

What other software or drivers can effect video playback on a windows 10 machine besides the video card driver and directX / directShow ???

Cheers, Pete

• @c3hammer Try Potplayer 32bit for Windows. Its free and very powerful with a lot of options. It plays 8bit 4k 60p flawlessly on my Windows core i7 computer. It plays 10bit 4k 30p but you might see a minor jitter. I have also tried playing 6k photo H265 MP4 file with no problem.

• Perhaps reset the computer to the settings the day before you made the changes?

• This is not exactly GH5 specific, but after trying a number of NLE trial software to edit 10 bit GH5 footage and uninstalling them, I can no longer play the 4K-60p or 10 bit footage smoothy on my i7-3770 win10 machine :(

I've reloaded the NVidia drivers, DirectX and uninstalled any old software I could think of that I'm not using. It seems to be the same issue that people had with getting smooth playback in any software (VLC, MPC-HC and WMP etc) when Windows 10 first came out.

Any idea's what I might have removed or changed that could be causing the video to no longer be able to be played smoothly in any NLE or windows 10 player? What else is there besides DirectX (DirectShow) in windows and my GT620 NVidia drivers?

Cheers, Pete

• I took my GH5 to Renaissance Fair in Southern California yesterday during the sunny day and shot some videos and photos. For video, I used 8bit 4k 60p with AF on, AFC and custom AF off using 225 area focus. I shot 22GB of video panning and zooming while walking. Auto focus and stabilizer worked like a champ without a single problem. As for photos, because I needed to take a lot of photos very quickly, I used iA+ to let the camera decide and the pictures came out beautiful and corrected nicely in Lightroom. I am impressed with how this camera performs.

• Hello Community! Here is my first test with the Panasonic GH5 & Nikkor-S 55MM F 1.2 lens w/ metabones dummy adapter. Love the lens as it gives my image more character with a soft "Glow" wide open. Sharpens up very nicely at F 1.8 - F2. Please read the notes regarding this video if you'd like to technically comment. Thanks!

Lens: Nikkor-S 55MM F 1.2 ND: Syrup Variable Adapter: Metabones Dummy Adapter (No Speedbooster) Conducted: Handheld & Ronin-M Color: V-Log & Graded In MB Looks Denoise: Yes, some HD shots. Denise II Timeline: 4K 24P Resolution: 4K 60 fps & HD 180 fps Speed Notes: Played with speed vs interpreting the footage in some shots, namely in the last shot of the drummer. Speed altered to 30% of 60 fps pushing it to a staggering limit. Decent result, but not entirely fluid upon close inspection.

• Hi, thought my short documentary test might be of interest here (all the GH5 settings info is in the Vimeo description) https://vimeo.com/fiercekittyfilms/gh5test1

• @MorganD After using zoom or while zooming? If it happens while zooming it's the aperture changing during zooming. At least that's what my 14-140 use to do. I avoid zooming as focus can cause changes as well. Also if your using shutter priority like me the aperture does not change smoothly at least on my 14-140. I found out the hard way and had to keyframe exposure compensation to smooth out the changes. Strictly manual exposure for me now.

• @MorganD

Are you using exposure mode A for video. It may cause occasional flicker when the camera is changing shutter speed. Also indoors with electric lights can occur flicker.

• I have the 12-60mm lens. I get a weird flickering sometimes in video, especially after using the zoom. Any ideas? I'm playing it back in fcpx. My computer seems to be doing well with it. Tricked out late 2017 5k iMac. I've tried rendering it and transcoding with no luck.

Thanks, Morgan