Personal View site logo
  • 45 Replies sorted by
  • Very cool, and could have a lot of useful applications, but unfortunately you still have to use a high shutter speed, just like every other post stabilization. Slow shutter speeds (180 degree rules) will still have motion blur, just without the motion, which is an odd and jarring look indeed.

• I think, if the workflow for this is streamlined enough (plugin's for your favourite NLE) then I think this will be very useful, other stabilising software products try and track objects in the frame to gauge the movement - however this has the advantage of 'knowing' what the camera has done, so doesn't need to guess. Yeah the fill in frame stuff, is a bit weird, and you will have to be at 45/90' shutter angle to get sharp frames, but it looks like they have looked at this with the blur effect to get you back to a more flim-like look. I suppose ideally they would like a 4:3 frame to crop down to 16:9 - alas not many cameras are recording that aspect anymore. I think someone said previously - this will be in cameras soon (can't see the current crop electronic stabilising techniques being this advanced?)

• however this has the advantage of 'knowing' what the camera has done, so doesn't need to guess.

This knowledge is really limited. While tiny accelerometers / compasses are useful they have some flaws requiring advanced processing.

Authors of such thing want to tell you that this thing somehow is revolutionary or something like this. And this is just false claims. Good software stabilizer for footage made with short shutter speeds and plenty of light must match or outperform this thing.

• So, things with SteadXP did not go as planned.

It is delays, false promises, another delays and such.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev That's right, I've tried for months to get a refund with no reply to emails, messages or on the Kickstarter board since they honoured refunds for some people towards the start of the year.

I've reported them to Kickstarter under the reason of "The creator is not communicating and the project status is unclear."

• I believe that we had topic on PV how Kickstarter hides failed projects and try not to help people who took part in them.

• Could this be implemented in the NX1 hack? Just record accelerometer data and save in steadxp format.

• Could this be implemented in the NX1 hack? Just record accelerometer data and save in steadxp format.

As far as I understand NX1 has only accelerometer for the level function.

You also must understand that no such thing as SteadXP format exist, actually nothing exist except few demo videos.

• I finally received a refund for this last week from Kickstarter. What a nightmare experience.

I've used a CAME-TV Single for the past 12 months and I am satisfied with that.

Since receiving a refund I can no longer comment on the Kickstarter page but I do still visit it regularly as the creator delays and backer comment are highly entertaining.

• New video from weed lovers

• Just looking at this product again. Supposedly ships in April with backer parts 20 days off. I've been suspicious of it since most of what it does looks similar to the excellent Deshaker filter in Virtual Dub. I just noticed [http://steadxp.com/update-12/](this blog update) though where he mentions it removes rolling shutter artefacts. I'm at least intrigued now. Only a month til we find out anyway as hopefully there will be loads of vids from backers up soon.

• As I understand it is not compatible with latest GoPros, hence many people demanded money back.

Also I am not so sure how good this guys are with math, as it is very hard thing to filter and adjust cheap sensors so they will have real use for stabilization.

• As I understand it is not compatible with latest GoPros, hence many people demanded money back.

It appears to record motion data to the audio track and since the Hero 5 has no audio input won't work on that setup. I'm more interested in the version for DSLRs though.

Also I am not so sure how good this guys are with math, as it is very hard thing to filter and adjust cheap sensors so they will have real use for stabilization.

There's a lot of open source code knocking about -deshaker for one. In fact that's the reason I've been sceptical about the project. Here's a test I did: [

from a helicopter using deshaker in 2008. Similar processing pipeline (losing pixels at the edge ) just without the benefit of motion data. I'm interested enough to check this out again though when people have hardware in their hands. :)

• There's a lot of open source code knocking about -deshaker for one. In fact that's the reason I've been sceptical about the project.

I mean different thing. Processing hardware sensors data.

As for stabilization, ProDad Mercalli 4 is considered benchmark for now.

• I mean different thing. Processing hardware sensors data.

Ah I'm with you. Yeah that's going to be complex.

As for stabilization, ProDad Mercalli 4 is considered benchmark for now.

Good to know. I was about to do some research into what current options are out there.

• I just received my SteadXP+ which I ordered almost 2 years ago. A lot has changed and I'm not sure it's going to work for my filming situations. The main problem is they recommended high shutter speeds of 1/125 to 1/250. I guess that gives the device more data to work with. But that means I'm pretty much limited to using it only for HFR to slow motion video since 24fps is my workflow. On top that, I think my Canon C100 has a max shutter of 1/48! Plus, I'm limited to HD with the C100 or my Canon 5D3 and 4K seems to be better for this. Plus there is the whole software workflow to go through before I can even edit the footage and it only supports ffmpeg formats for licensing reasons. That shouldn't be problem for most cameras. If you don't have a GoPro (and I don't), you need to purchase a GoPro Hero 3 style battery and charger before you can use the device. You also need your own cable for the camera... I just got the battery and I'm going to try some tests and report back, but right now I'm thinking this device is pretty limited in scope, especially 2 years since it was announced.

• At least they made something.

• Next round of marketing push

The big selling points of the SteadXP, then, are that it's relatively inexpensive at $250.

You need a supported lens and camera body and a microphone-input jack, the only supported cameras for now are select Canon, Sony and Panasonic models, including the 5D Mark III, A6300, A7S, A7S II, GH4 and GH5.

The not-so-good part: To get sharp 1080p results, you have to shoot 4K video because of cropping. But you can't have full 4K video without upscaling because it's currently impossible using the SteadXP. The best you can do is keep cropping to a minimum, so you can save your stabilized video at as high a resolution as possible, like 2.7K, for instance. That way, when you upscale to 4K, the video will be as sharp as possible. You also have to closely watch settings like shutter speed and zoom position, and be more careful than usual with shot framing.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/24/steadxp-s-dslr-stabilizer-impressions/

Surprise, all ended as I told from start, same heavy cropping, no magic.

Really, guys. Get gimbal used or cheap is really same or cheaper, even Crane is periodically on sale for $399.