Personal View site logo
GH2 Settings for 720p50
  • 61 Replies sorted by
  • Variable, how it is? On a static scene? Show report StreamParser.
  • I shot clips 720p50 using checked Ptools 25fps tickbox to get 25fps material. Looks great, but...

MTS clips are recognized as 25fps (VideoSpec, VLC, and Quicktime) and they look fine with Quicktime and VLC players, but when I try to convert them to 25fps ProRes, the video is slowed down to double and audio stays at normal speed. Tried 5DtoRGB, MPEGstreamclip and Clipwrap with all the possible settings available. Same situation: video is handled as slowmo and audio is fine. Only software which worked as expected (output video and audio is fine) is Aunsoft MTS converter. Unfortunately, quality of Aunsoft isn't as good as the other converters..

It looks like converters can't handle the footage as 25fps. How come and any solutions?
  • @Pavezer
    Have you tried using the conversion inside of FCP? (if you are a Mac+FCP user that is)
  • @alcompomposer
    Yes, mac+fcp. Haven't tried fcp conversion yet. I will test that and I'll make other test too, I'm interested in why this happens and if there is general solution. Not willing (or possible) to do fcp conversion every time.
  • Pavezer: it doesn't make it a true 25fps clip. Hence the trouble converting it. I had the same issues when I tried it and had to look all over for software that could convert the mts files so that I could import them in proper speed to premiere.. If you want 25fps you might as well record 50 and make it 25 in post.

---

Is there anyone who have been working on getting the most out of 720p50?
    I find this setting quite strange.. is there some kind of interlacing going on when recording it?
    On some anamorphic footage using 720p50 it looks kind of interlaced..
    It would be really nice if an effort was made to make 720p50 more useful!
    Maybe there already is some good settings for this that I've overlooked?
  • @RRRR Well, yes I do understand that it doesn't make true 25fps, but the fact that most converters do funny tricks with slomo makes me wonder.. Are you saying that you are not able to make it work with converters as 25fps even if it was 50fps in the beginning? I have played around only with "false" 25fps.
  • After some further testing, I found out that "false" 25fps is convertable to true 25fps ProRes with perfect audio sync in Apple Compressor. You just have to go to Inspector -> Frame Control tag -> check the Frame Controls on and change Retiming Control's 'Set Duration' to '50%'.
  • Pavezer: I tried around with a lot of different software, Handbrake was the only converter that allowed for reasonable quality conversion (although several converters managed to understand the footage correctly), yet when pixel-peeping there was a clear loss in quality (I just had to get a working clip at the time). Good to know that compressor can handle it! (propably better than Handbrake!) I didn't have it installed at the time, and suffice to say that I don't use the patch any more! Downconverting "true" 50 fps to normal 25fps is easier - imo.
  • Yes, compressor works ok in terms of pixel quality. But.. It's color shift from MTS to mov is absolutely ridiculous :) Skin jumps from natural into piggy red. I found out that there's no solution inside Compressor, but if you rewrap first to mov using Clipwrap and then convert the wrapped mov to true 25fps ProRes inside Compressor (automatic gamma off and preserve source color) colors are fine.

This seems a bit "handicapped" workflow, but that's the only way I got acceptable 25p720 ProRes clips using ticked 25p patch (this is using a Mac). Clipwrap is pretty fast, so I don't think this extra wrapping is much of a problem.

Still, I really really really would like to have a 25p solution from you Panny, thank you. ;)
  • so guys, did anyone manage to make driftwood's "Beautiful buffers" work in 720p50? Thank you!