Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware News
  • 69 Replies sorted by
  • Here's the next round of rumours - this from voldemort hideout forum

On 11 February 2015 21:07:37, Julian said:

On a more serious note: Andrew, I'd love to read a write up about the new NX1 firmware and your opinion on it vs the GH4.

​Coming soon. New firmware is great! But wait till you see what is in store for the GH4 ;)

• @StudioDCCreative Thanks, I've just sorted it, it was indeed a second setting in the GH4 I hadn't turned on, forgotten what it was already! but was to do with turning timecode on, now all fine and dandy. Thank you.

• Belfryman, to my knowledge (and I haven't done this yet, because I have a Star), there are TWO HDMI settings you need to change, one of them enables the other, and they are in separate menus. Give a whirl through this thread and the forum posts at Atomos on the Shogun and there is some mention of the exact two settings you need to set and in what order, to turn that on. Don't forget to also set your blade to HDMI as the input trigger source.

• I'm using the gH4 with the Blade in PAL land. I can't trigger. The hdmi recording control on the Gh4 is greyed out. Anything stupid I am doing/not doing?

• We received our battle scarred GH4 back on Monday, updated to 2.1 and ran some tests, we can confirm the Ninja 2 & Ninja Star require a firmware update to enable triggering from the GH4, I believe the team are working on this, unsure of the ETA as yet.

From Patrick at Atomos on their forum.

• Very sorry - Mr Huff has got his ninja blade working but not his ninja star. My bad

• thanks @mrbill I'll try that!

• Best place, I think. Page two of 'the awaited GH4 upgrade' thread in the ninja category might hold some clues

• Yeah, I'm wondering why the Ninja Star doesn't "just work" as well, if it supposedly already supports this feature with other cameras. I'll also post on the Atomos forum.

• @mrbill i couldn't find definite answer but i asked in there lets see what they will write back, I'm not happy about the fact that it doesn't simply work, what they spend extra month on ?

• @crustovsky - go to the atomos forum and the ninja section - under the GH4 firmware thread there is a user called Gary Huff who has his ninja star working

• @fathomvfx - i have a same problem, in a first place i figured out that i have to turn on time code over hdmi to see hdmi icons (pause, record) but i can't trigger ninja star despite the fact that timecode is counting up and red record icon blinking. No idea if this will require another fix from Panasonic (doh) or ninja star firmware update. 25fps non interlaced output is nice though!

• @mickos - reports that best 1080p from hdmi comes from setting GH4 to 4k UHD, 1080p in down convert, and selecting 10bit. Just passing it along...

• @fathomvfx - no problem triggering Ninja Blade from my GH4

• This update is great - am now getting 25p output from the GH4 through the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle through Black Syphon and into Magic (VJ software) - long wait but worth it!

• I am using a gh4 in conjunction with an Atomos Ninja Star, after the update I can now get 25P over the HDMI but I am unable to get the GH4 to trigger the Ninja Star to Start/stop recording. Is anyone else having this problem with the ninja star or other atomos products?

• Umm - yes, I know that. However, most of my post is done in 10bit, and there is a distinct difference (assuming the chromakey is properly lit) between 8 and 10bit. Personally, I'm delighted by the firmware upgrade and looking forward to a happy Ninja Blade marriage with the GH4

• @mrbill It takes much more than bit to achieve a very nice chromakey.

• @natureflixs And don't forget the 8-bit uncalibrated displays.

• Many want 10 bit on the GH4, but unless you have the latest NLE software most of us are probably using 8-bit capable software.

• People want to see diferences working in 10bit files like they where working on 8bit files, applying the same settings from a 8bit grading in a 10bit file... and they expect to see diferences...

Everyone wants Flat profiles in 8bit... for what? You're limiting the color range in a limited color space resulting in more color tones being flatten in only one.

Yes, the V-Log makes sense in a future upgrade but only anyone that will use the hdmi output file will be able to take real advantage of that, everyone else will be only happy for a flat look (the "sepia" / "solarize" filter of our time).

I've worked with and with footage from a A7S and would't exchange my GH4 with one, i think that the GH4 well used and well configured is a much more capable camera than the A7S, but that's my opinion. People just love to buy gadgets and rarely want to take time to learn how to use them.

• Feels like Deja Vu all over again, considering folks looked forward to something that was never promised when the last V1.2 firmware was released.

• Well, I guess the good thing is it will push me to consider the NX1 more or take it up a notch to a7S.

you'll see better chromakeying originating in 10bit

Yah, but people that have used the 10bit from the GH4 say it's not much different that the internal 8bit 4.2.0. In other words, that 10bit 4.2.2 could have a very high SNR as Vitaliy have suggested making it not very different from it's internal 8bit 4.2.0.

• @HillTop1 - you'll see better chromakeying originating in 10bit

• 10 bit RAW photos are much better than 8 bit JPGs so the sensor is quite good anyway.

This statement make no sense. As 10bit raw photos are impossible to compare to JPEG ones, as it is not images at all. Or want to say that raw converter with some of your interference can make better looking images than you get via JPEG (with what setting exactly as it is plenty of them in any modern camera?).