Personal View site logo
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • My bad, I thought there was the beta, the 1st version (with more flare) and the 2nd with about ~30% or so.

• This lens will eventually force me to eat my tie. Earlier I was so much pessimistic about 12mm SLR magic due to extremely bad copy received initially. You may easily find my earlier posts above where I suggested to stay away ftom it. After some period of time I ordered it again in anticipation of BMDPCC release. The order was placed with a dealer, not directly. Again bad copy. Another attempt with the same dealer who agreed to substitute the lens was succesfull. Although the third copy still has some minor mechanical issues the image is very much pleasant. Nowadays, this lens stays with GH2 95% of my shooting time. So, please make sure that you have a possibility to choose from several copies of the lens at the moment of purchase. The lens is amazing for GH2 provided a good copy is obtained.

• I just posted an edge to edge sharpness test with this lens, the Rokinon 16mm and the Tokina 11-16 lens in the Rokinon/Samyang 16mm thread. Didn't want to repost here and take up server space.

• I have a shooting for a personal project scheduled for this fall. I'm wondering if i should buy this SLR lens... I already have pany 20mm and 14mm but I might find the focal length with GH2 and especially GH3 may not be wide enough... Is there a big difference between 12mm and 14mm on GH2/3 ? I don't know if it would be worth to buy it. Thanks for your advice.

• Well, it's like the difference between 24mm and 28mm on a photographic FF…

• I think the bigger question is what look you are going for. There's no way that SLR12mm is going to cut with that Pany14mm and prob not the 20mm. They are completely different looks. So if those are you only other two lenses I wouldn't buy the SLR. If you're going to be shooting alot outside I would go for the 14-140 to match. Just my 2 cents :)

• thanks for your replies. I talked about these 2 lenses because of close focal length. Here's what I have: pany 14-140 (old version), olympus 45mm, voigtlander 25, samyang fisheye, nikkor 85mm 1.8, minolta rokkor-x 50mm 1.4, MC Mir-24 2/35mm and Helios 44M 58. And as i said the pany 14mm and 20mm.

I dont plan to shoot with all of them, as you said I want to have consistent "look". But of course I have to use different focal length so... I will of course do postproduction as it is my "main job" with directing.

So what "setup" are you guys recommending regarding what I have so far? Does the SLR would cut in? If the difference in wideness between 12 and 14 isn't that big I may keep the cash for something else. Thanks!

• Well, you're kind of all over the place there with lenses so I don't think it really matters.

• as i said I don't plan on using all of them, some of them I bought for photography.

I really want to use the voigtlander obviously, then I thought I will use the fisheye for a couple of shots, the olympus 45 and the pancakes 20 and 14... what do you guys think? Does the SLR fit into this? Do you really think it's "bad" to use such different lenses for the same project? I could see if I could use some of the budget to rent other lenses if it's better... please let me know.

• @tenjin I use the Voigtlander 25mm with the 12mm and they match up quite easily with only minor corrections. The SLR is a bit more yellow and with less saturation/contrast but the same mojo is there.

• where we can find this lens available in US ? Thanks

• @tenjin You're already mixing lenses so who cares. If you're going to use the Voight and one of the electric, overly sharp mft lenses, it doesn't matter. If you are going to be shooting people, you will see the difference in the skin tones for sure. I only mix the native mft electric lenses with glass like the Voight and SLR if it's my only solution. For example if I need IS for some odd shot. For what reason do you want the SLR 12mm? Is it just for a wider shot? If so, I'd say save your money. Do you want to unique look and cool flares? Well then that's the lens you need to get. What's the subject of your shoot? Talking heads? Cats? Artistic landscapes? This is where you'll get your answer. I'd say you prob have all you need in the 14, 20 and 45 to shoot what you want. The 20 is a great low light lens and sharper at 1.7 than the 12mm is at say, maybe up to 2.8 or maybe even 4. I could be wrong there. If you're really worried about a wide angle, you could get the adapter for your 14mm. They're pretty cheap but it won't be that great for night.

• @vicharris. Great comments ! Today I have the 14-140 , 14 mm , 25 mm and the 45 mm . I was saving money to buy the slr magic 12mm for the looks and I am very concerned about how the lens will cut with my lenses. You just enlighted me a lot ...the bad side of the 14mm is that its only f 2.5 . So maybe its a good idea to sell it to pick the 12 mm oly...but this lens costs a lot more than the 17 mm from oly !!! So I was thinking too to sell the 14 mm to get the oly 17 mm to use with my GH3 . Anyway I CANT find the slr magic available in the major stores in US ( Amazon, Bh and Adorama) . I have a few days to decide what to do ´cos I live in Brazil where those lenses are not sold and I have a friend of mine in Orlando that will bring the lens or the lenses for me ...I am trying to achieve that cinematic look ...thanks for your support here !

• @labalbi Well you have all native mft electric, sharp lenses there. You will notice a change if you try to edit them together. It's just the way it is. The SLR will cut with older glass, Voight and I'm sure others that I don't know about much better than your other glass. I did a resort promo shoot that's up on Vimeo and used the SLR12mm, Rokinon 85mm Cine and for some night stuff, the Pany 20mm. Since the 20mm shots where at night and all cut by themselves, it's not apparent but I can see a difference with the 12mm and 85mm stuff cut together. The Rokinon is much sharper but I wasn't using the 12mm for sharpness. I was using it for flares and it's organic properties.

On the other hand, I might just be too sensitive and most people might not know. My girlfriend never sees the difference in stuff like that and I always ask her to compare shots and she just looks at me like I'm a dumbass! :)

• I can see the difference between my Oly 45 and my 14-140 at 45mm with the same aperture. But its me and like your girlfriend many cant see that ...but of course from SLR magic to Panasonic is a great look change. Even after Filmconvert I think this gonna be noticeable... In fact , I love the looks of the 25 mm and the 45 mm . I was decided to pick the slr magic 12 mm but cant find it anywhere in US . I wish I had money to buy all voiglander lenses but I cant right now . And I dont know why but the Oly 45 mm has the most cinematic mood with my GH3 . Even more than the 25 mm leica . a hug from Rio . Brazil .

• You're friend might be able to find a used on on Craigslist, have it shipped to Orlando and bring it with him. I see used ones on there in LA all the time.

Here's one in LA. Not sure if it's still avail

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pho/3998561155.html

You're right, they seem to be out everywhere. Odd. Maybe Andrew will chime in and let us know what's going on.

• you know ...after so many related problems with this lens , I have no balls to get one used !

• Hard lens to find... I live in Australia, does anyone know where I could pick one up?

• @azza_act

Hit up Andrew on the SLR site. Should be able to get one direct from them in no time since you live close. I ordered all of my SLR lenses direct.

• @azza_act No problem. Hope they have some in stock. The site seems to be down.

• @vicharris yeah, I'm trying to contact them through their ebay store.

• @azza_act any luck in getting in touch with them? My emails and tweets are not going through:(

• They contact me a day ago, but haven't heard anything from them since...

Although this lens is sold more for the effect it produces, rather than the performance it delivers, it still performs well for a lens with such a bright maximum aperture. At T/1.6 sharpness in the centre of the frame is already very good, although the clarity towards the edges of the frame just falls short of fairly good levels. Stopping down improves sharpness across the frame and T/4 provides peak performance. Here sharpness is outstanding across the frame.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/slr-magic-12mm-t-1-6-hyperprime-cine-lens-review-22998

slrmagic.jpg
    800 x 610 - 71K
    slrmagic1.jpg
    800 x 601 - 119K
    slrmagic2.jpg
    651 x 506 - 65K