Personal View site logo
GH2 Settings Vault, most popular settings in one place, quite old
  • 47 Replies sorted by
  • I don't know how popular Timebuster is, but since I don't know of other people who have made any patches dedicated to timelapses on AVCHD, I decided to post it here.

This is NOW a dedicated patch to 2.5fps AVCHD on 24p Mode or on HBR. On 24p it now uses GOP10 to synch I-Frames to 2.5fps, a Constant Quantizer VBR approach, minimum P/B-Frame size and quality. Will span and record for 24+ hours on ANY 64GB SD card. 1080i60 and 720p modes still operational. On HBR it uses GOP 12 synch I-Frames to 2.5fps and keeps 24p and 720p modes operational.

All discussion, bug reports and feature requests should please be placed at the relevant thread where you will also find all the latest versions: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2135/gh2-2fps-avchd-timebuster-patch-the-day-is-not-over/p1 and not HERE!

VERSION HISTORY :

1 - TimeBuster 1 - First Release

• Based on Cake v1. It uses GOP13, a Constant Quantizer VBR approach without B-Frames, minimum P-Frame size and quality.

2 - TimeBuster 1.1 - with 2 significant changes:

• Now based on @balazer 's Cake 1.1, it has switched to use the Rate Control mechanism from @LPowell 's FlowMotion 100.

• 720p mode was broken due to use of a very low quantizer (12) which lead to skipped frames in 720p. It now uses QP=20 on both 720 & 1080 modes which will have an observable effect in both bitrate & quality even though it still gives you 24+ hours on 64GB.

3 - TimeBuster 1.2 - with 1 significant change for a fully featured 720p mode:

• Since @balazer 's Cake 1.1 is now heavily based on @LPowell 's FlowMotion 100, I decided to copy LPowells 720p settings since they will probably play better with the other modes. The only difference on 720p is a constant QP which had to be lowered yet from 20 to 21 because it still dropped frames on torture charts and/or sometimes present speed issues at very high ISO (>3200) on Class 10 SDs.

4 - TimeBuster 1.3 - with a lot of significant changes:

• Ported to PTTools 3.64d

• Savings on P-Frames is now accomplished by using a Scaling Table that is full of 0xFFFF for 1080p modes.

• Quantizer boundaries were removed since they are now much more dependent on the new Quantizer Tables.

• Redesigned for merging, these definitions try to be as independent as possible from their re-packaging definitions (in this case FlowMotion 1.1) and are published in two flavors: Timebuster 1.3 Base (for merging) and Timebuster 1.3 FloMo (merged with FlowMotion 1.1)

5 - Timebuster is now comprised of 2 main variants:

a) 24h Timebuster 2.0 - with the following changes (from TimeBuster 1.3):

• The GOP for 24p is now married to 2.5fps. The bitrate hit is a little above 20% but the recording length can be easily compensated by raising the QP. As a benefit it's still very close to 2fps and it's the closest to a 360º shutter we can get on 24p.

b) 24h TimeHBusteR 2.0 (NEW, uses HBR 30)

• Similar philosophy to 24h Timebuster 2.0 Base but as the name suggests, uses HBR mode instead of 24p. There is another difference, P-Frame quality is fully preserved as this kind of frames is used for one of the interlaced slices on Key Frames.

• GOP married to 1/2.5 on HBR 30p (NTSC) and to 1/5s on HBR 25p (PAL). The big benefit is that both are using a 360º shutter. Uncheck "1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=5" before merging if you don't plan to use Shutter Speed (SS) =1/5s and want to better preserve the 24p mode and HBR 25.

Both variants are now:

• Using B-Frames. There is a 6% penalty in bitrate usage but this was necessary to make sure the QP was respected. I believe the gain from setting the QP at will is just too great to ignore, since not everyone wants to record for 24h straight. QPs as low as QP=16 were tested and theoretically it could go as low as QP=12 @ISO160 when merged with FlowMotion 1.11 on regular tripod mounted footage.

• GOP married to 2.5fps. The bitrate hit is a little above 20% but the recording length can be easily compensated by raising the QP. The reason behind this was getting as close as possible to 360º.

• User definable GOP - GOP can be set at will according to intended SS, use the attached "GOP-SS-table.png" to look up the right value. Defaults settings are SS=2.5fps and GOP 1080i=10 for 24h Timebuster 2.0 and SS=2.5/5fps and GOP 1080i50/i60=12/5 for 24h TimeHBusteR 2.0.

• User definable QP - QP can be set at will according to desired IQ/recording length. I've gathered quite an amount of information so that in the future I can make an Excel tool to estimate the best QP from Card Size/Footage Snapshot/Desired ISO/Recording Length. Default settings are Q24/23 for 24h Timebuster/TimeHBusteR.

As before, there is the Base Release to be merged at wish with popular settings (load Base first in PTTools and then "ALT+Click" your choice of merger) and there is also the FlowMotion Release (already merged with FlowMotion 1.11). I've merge tested against @lpowell 's FlowMotion 1.11, @balazer 's Cake 95, and @bkmcwd 's GOP3ZILLA and no undesirable effects were observed. The key is using a VBR settings definition with a very high "1080p24 Frame Limit", especially if you are going for a low QP (<22).

If you want to merge with Nick @driftwood 's settings, I recommend going for Cluster v1 as it shines in being both a long GOP set and also having the biggest "1080p24 Frame Limit" of all the sets I know.

The day is not over. :)

Timebuster 1.0.zip
    952B
    TimeBuster 1.1.zip
    TimeBuster 1.2.zip
    Timebuster 1.3.zip
    Timebuster Base 1.3.zip
    876B
    24h Timebuster 2.0.zip
    24h TimeHBusteR 2.0.zip
  • GH2-X PATCH FINAL VERSION

QUANTUM v9b + FOUR 1080p H (merge) - Quantum v9b (spans on 64Gb 95MB/s) 1080p L - Continuous 80% (24fps spans on any size 95MB/S) 720p SH - "FOUR" 720p H - Long Record (+ for electronic m4/3 glass) 1080i FSH - v9b Equivalent (720p FOUR recommended)

QUANTUM 100 + FOUR 1080p H (merge) - Quantum 100 (spans on 30MB/s) 1080p L - Long Record 720p SH - "FOUR" 720p H - Long Record (+ for electronic m4/3 glass) 1080i FSH - v9b Equivalent (720p FOUR recommended)

Improved in 720 mode by Sage (developed by Driftwood)

FOUR+Qv9b.zip
    703B
    FOUR+Q100.zip
    709B
  • If I did a Long GOP patch it may look something close to this....

**** NEW **** Driftwood 'XDCAM' Long GOP patch 50M all round. Experimental. Whilst doing some research into AVC/HD and MPEG2 (in particular Sony's 50Mbps XDCAM settings), deblocking, raster sizes, and various Quant Matrixes it struck me how easy it should be to get that stuff stable on the GH2 - whilst keeping it pretty much vanilla to the GH2's inner workings.

Indeed, reading related stuff here;- http://www.avmb.biz/ConvergentDesign/CD_4.htm also led me to believe its ok for i/p/b frames to change in relation to qualative subject matter and that not all recordings will follow the 50% P frame size/30% B frame size ratio rule all the time - as their graphics half way down show. This patch uses B frames throughout then.

Note: As has been seen in the past using B frames on 720p, you will find you have to record a 1080i or 1080p clip first before using 720p mode. Weird bug!

Some of the ideas in this patch (in particular raster frame size and Luminance sampling frequency) were put to the test and I now want you to judge for yourself... Test this in real world situations as its early days yet. However, I think we have found a way to improve the initial video signal rasterisation. A new INTRA patch will also be up shortly using this theory. This could be a false positive, but let me know if you see anything different in using this patch. This looks even more impressive with deblocking off and some new quant matrixes, which you will see in a new version of ptools soon. :-)

Nick

Driftwood 'XDCAM' Long GOP Patch - seta.zip
    1021B
  • *** NEW *** Driftwood Quantum 100 v3 [*Required ptools 3.64D] (incorporating the AVC-Intra 100 Matrix) Includes 1080p24 and HBR Mode on Intra, 1080i INTRA, 720 GOP6.

Standard Q settings for overall similar quantisation. Good quality for overall usage.

If you feel you want to lower Q to achieve better quantisation and quality be careful, you can go all the way down to low Quant (eg 16 ) on 1080 modes but judge for yourself if you perceive it looks better, it looks odd on the charts but it will drive the bitrate higher to a more constant level.

The first of the Quantum patches to make use of custom scaling matrixes for your testing.

Driftwood Quantum v100 v3 AVC-Intra 100 matrix - setg.zip
    860B
    Driftwood Quantum 100 v3b - ZERO Q - CBR style - use all bitrate patch - seta.zip
    883B
  • **** NEW **** Driftwood Quantum X v1 (Incorporating The Driftwood Matrix)

Requires the new ptools v3.64D.

INTRA upto 154M on 1080p24 9 (+EX Tele may work)

INTRA upto 80M on 1080i and HBR (EX Tele may work)

upto 55-70M on 720p modes at GOP6. (EX Tele works)

A completely new matrix developed by myself for the main INTRA settings.

Undoubtedly its not going to please everyone (you just can't!) but for Low GOP fans here's the first of the INTRA hatchings under the Quantum X banner.

This patch is targetted at the normal recording modes only, Quantum 100 v4 released soon will deal with guaranteed EX Tele Mode and 80% Rec modes.

Driftwood Quantum X v1 (inc The 'Driftwood' Matrix) - setd.zip
  • ATTENTION!

The settings here are old. Please look at my thread about the improved versions. *There are the latest information about bkmcwd settings in this thread: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2960/an-valkyrie-golgop3-13-gop3zilla-natural-super-reliable-all-round-gop3-settings-/p1

• *** NEW *** Driftwood Stock Long GOP 66M/35M settings template for GF2 & GH2 cameras enjoying 720p B frames and HBR. This is a template only and should be used as a starting point for your own settings.

Driftwood 66M- 35M Stock GOP all with B frames v1 - setd.zip
    630B
  • Sanity (by Ralph_B) modified/updated - PTools 3.64d / FW 1.1

Basics:

24H = 66Mbits | HBR/FSH = 36Mbits | GOP12 | AQ4

Great for HBR mode!

also see here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/42711#Comment_42711

seta.zip
    668B
  • *** NEW *** Quantum v3 Rocket and v4 Orion plus Baby Quantum X - 'ß Pictoris' - Available on this link with info

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2364/driftwood-quantum-x-v2-rocket#Item_44

*** NEW **** Driftwood Quantum X v5 'ß Pictoris' CBR and VBR versions NOW AVAILABLE from page one of the Quantum thread. Exciting new hybrid matrix of Panasonic's GH2 and PAnasonic's AVC-Intra. New GOP6 and GOP9 on 720p50/60 structures utilising B frames. Rebuilt 'GOP Related' settings for correct b frames under 720p with Encoder 1 720 =3 correlation. Looks good on initial test. All settings should work including EX Tele and spanning. multi-tested on @stray 's death colour chart.

NOTE: There are two versions available of this setting. One constant bitrate CBR style and the other VBR variable bitrate according to detail.

Find them here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2364/driftwood-quantum-x-v3b-rocket-v4b-orion-v5-%CE%B2-pictoris-out-now/p1

• SANITY 4.1

What makes SANITY special is:

*Picture Quality - across-the-board, no-compromise, high quality images in all modes: 24P, HBR, 1080i and 720p. And all at very modest bitrates. 720p is especially notable because I have successfully got B-frames working in it, and it makes a huge difference.

*Stability - I hate write errors - hate em', hate em', hate em'. Sanity 4 is rock stable. I use Sandisk 30M Class 10 cards and have not had any write errors in any mode, including ETC. Of course, your milage may vary, but I hope not.

*Spanning - Sanity spans in 24L, FH, SH & H mode.

*Two versions - Because of HBR mode, I was forced to make two versions of Sanity, one for NTSC and one for PAL.

*Samples - I've uploaded a zip file containing four raw MTS files, which show the same scene in 24P, HBR-30P, 1080i60 and 720p60. The shutter speed was set to 1/2000 sec, to really torture the codec. Even if you're a confirmed intra-junkie, you owe it to yourself to check this out. You just might be amazed.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9j72rc

NOTE: When downloading from Sendspace, click the button that says "Click here to start download from sendspace". Do not click anything else.

NOTE: Sanity 4.1 is for firmware 1.1

SANITY 4.1 NTSC.zip
    725B
    SANITY 4.1 PAL.zip
    721B
  • Driftwood Mysteron Series. 146M standard version on 24p OR the 900k i frames 'Burst version' 176M data rate. Plus experimental matrix set for 720p60 and HBR modes.

Driftwood 'Mysteron' Burst Mode - seti.zip
    Driftwood 'Mysteron' setf.zip
    900k i frames intra - Driftwood Mysteron Burst Mode at 5 secs.png
    1295 x 679 - 243K
  • here is Sanity 4 - Sedna A Q20 hybrid setting with Sedna matrix as requested by some folk.

Sanity4-Sedna A Q20 hybrid.zip
  • Link to Flow Motion v2 download page:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/3337/gh2-flow-motion-v2-100mbps-fast-action-performance-reliability-for-all-class-10-sd-cards/p1

• Reliable 100Mbps peak performance in AVCHD 24H, HBR, FSH, SH, and MJPEG HD.

• Exclusive 140Mbps turbo mode boosts peak bitrate to handle 80% Slow-Motion 24H mode.

• Records reliably with all Class 10 SD cards, with 60Mbps file-spanning in 24L, FH, and H modes.

• 95MB/sec SD cards support file-spanning in all video modes (except NTSC HBR 30p and FSH 60i).

• Full support for all NTSC and PAL video modes and options, including ETC zoom mode.

• In-camera playback of all AVCHD video files. (MJPEG HD videos not playable in-camera.)

• Failsafe operation with any lens, in any video mode, under any type of shooting conditions.

• Consumer-friendly auto-exposure features fully supported in 60Mbps 24L, FH, and H modes.

• Fast Action 3-Frame GOP performance with B-frames visibly indistinguishable from I-frames.

• Optimal motion picture quality consistently maintained in underexposed low-light conditions.

• Driiftwood, cbrandiin, bkmcwd 'Apocalypse Now' - Incredible new 444 simulated settings.

See the following link;-

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4391/apocalypse-now-quest-for-simulated-444-smooth-cinema-quality-driftwood-cbrandin-bkmcwd#Item_23

• @Aurelienbentraus and @fredfred27 --> this is for settings only! NO QUESTIONS HERE! @Vitaliy_Kiselev will delete your comments and he should delete mine too.

Vitaliy: what do you think about making this thread a sticky? I think it is very useful, and now it's being abandoned a little bit.... we should also maybe include in the title: "No Questions or Comments" :-)

• SANITY 5.1

Here is an update to SANITY 5. It fixes an infrequent problem where the picture would severly break up. This update is highly recommended.

Discussion is here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/104024#Comment_104024

Sanity 5.1.zip
    994B
  • Incredible new Cluster X range of settings at;-

http://tinyurl.com/l9st3vn

• Exclusive 140Mbps turbo mode boosts peak bitrate to handle 80% Slow-Motion 24H mode Where is???GH2

• why cant I download any of the zip files?

• @Saman you have to be logged in. I can download everything here.

• is there a 1080p anamorphic mode hack for gh2?