Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
3D LUT Creator - best tool for camera matching and video grading
  • In my never-ending search found this nice application by Oleg Sharonov and though it was worth sharing

I really like the concept of this plugin / standalone and how easy to use it seems. As far as I know exist integration with photoshop, lightroom and AE. Here's the AE version at work (русский)

3D LUT Creator is color correction software. It can transform colors in LAB color space and save corrections as 3DL file, that can be loaded to Photoshop CS6 or other image and video editing software.

3DLUT Creator is a standalone program, that can load images in TIFF, JPEG and other formats, and can save TIFF, JPEG, 3DL files. It requires a PC with Windows x32 or x64 installed. MacOS users are known to be able to run it with Wine and Crossover. 3DL files are platform-independent and can be used in variety of image and video editors, such as Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, DaVinci Resolve and others.

and some photoshop action and explanations (русский with subs)

3D LUT Creator is currently in a closed beta testing stage. If you want to try beta version with limited functions, contact me at 3dlutcreator at gmail . com You can preorder the full version for $50 and you will also be getting current fully-functional beta versions.

Funny enough I found this through VK ;-)
    gashô

• 92 Replies sorted by
  • @maxr awesome finding thank you ! The extract curve tool is pretty nice to answer the "how can i achieve this look ? " question http://vk.com/3dlutcreator?z=video233174_166498552%2F01cc64629d0c7969fd

• Interesting software.

• In russia lenguaje , need help from my beautiful Russian Wife :-)

• @Faudel reposting your video, hopefully it works. In 2007 el compi Guillermo Luijk developed a very similar idea with Tone Hacker, check it out it is free but windows only, BTW his Perfect Raw and Zero Noise are also really nice, he used dcraw as engine... I invited him to chin in, inshallah!

@Vitaliy_Kiselev indeed

@derek that's exactly what I'm missing, a Russian wifi wife :P

• I've used Zero Noise before and thought it was great.

I'll have to check out his Tone Hacker.

• Could someone pls help translate. Vitaliy? Cant read Russian for the life of me. I know something good is happening, but couldnt make head or tail when I got to the website

• Tried it, loved it, bought it. Perfect for noob like me, gives understandable visual feedback instantly.

• @tonalt: And where and how did you download it, even to try at first? I couldn't find any link there.

• Went to fb page and messaged Oleg.

• Just 1 word: awesome!!!

3D LUT Creator demo direct download link. Demo mode does not allow to save 3D LUTs or image in other formats, play with it, at VK there are a ton of LUTs and meshs to download for free.

For mac users use Wine and X11 or Quartz. Mavericks folks Wine and Quartz, this last one has a buggy installation mode but works =)

• Wow these guy/s don't sleep!!!

New demo 1.0 version's out

Superb cleaner dark theme implementation, dual meters, Lab mode switch, extended tone hacker interface with curves and other stuff. The other day someone sent me a photo with very silly looks... as a game I tried to correct it... well never before I colour corrected a still image so fast and graciously. Really wish a mac version is in the build :D

• I'm wondering how command "File/Import curves from file" works. If you import a picture RGB curves are changed for pre-loaded picture. Maybe it's somewhere mentioned on their websites and somebody who is familiar with Russia can help.

Would be great if it is based on "Automated Colour Grading using Colour Distribution Transfer" where another solution was discussed at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2237/automated-color-grading/p1

• @pwc I see that you are still active in this forum. What would you say???

• Finished project using 3D Lut Creator. IMO my color corrections haven't ever looked so good. Especially making skin tone look better is so easy. Just hover mouse cursor on the face and look where are the nearest points in the grid and drag them around until it looks good. To fix greenish GH2 look, drag points to opposite direction from green. Then use curves to add little bit "S-shape" to main curve. Then use blue curve to add maybe little bit blue to the shadows. Then finally reduce little bit saturation and voilà! Just add little bit vignette in AE and depending on scene maybe noise reduction and that's it!

• @tida

I have played with the demo version of 3D LUT Creator: the program is very clever and useful.

It differs from automated color grading in the sense that you have to build the transform yourself. The 2 approaches can work together though: provided that the program can load the 3D LUT tables that my program exports (the .3dl format read by After Effects), I see no problem loading one in 3D LUT Creator and further tweak it to achieve whatever results you want. Unfortunately browsing through the menus I haven't seen this possibility: you can export a LUT file but not import it. I guess it is because the program needs a source picture to build its transform, but I may be wrong. In automatic color grading you also transfer the luminance distribution and not only the colors. That helps achieving the transfer of looks: in 3D LUT Creator you can tune the luminance with a more traditional curve.

2 different approaches then...

• Maybe a suggestion to Oleg that he might want to consider: it would be nice to give the user a better view of the true color palette in the source image. Working on the palette itself instead of the total color space would make things easier. There are ways to extract a color palette from an image but it is more difficult to get a smoothly ordered one. It is possible though as the attached image shows: on the right a smooth palette of the 625 most important colors in the source image in the upper left. To show that the palette does a good job at capturing the source colors, the bottom left image is the source image where all the colors have been changed to their closest color in the palette: the 2 images are very close. The colors in the palette are neatly arranged in color blobs smoothly blending into each other and as a bonus, the more a color is present in the image the bigger the blob, so you also have a kind of color histogram info. Now each blob could be individually graded by the process used by 3D LUT Creator and not only in hue, but also in saturation and value...

Color Palette 3.jpg
    1367 x 649 - 67K
  • Am I the only one getting a virus (Trojan) warning for the "LutCreatorDemo.exe" file when I download it? Could someone confirm that it is just a false positive? (I am using AVG)

• @Jasketti No virus in the one I downloaded, using mac

@pwc

Unfortunately browsing through the menus I haven't seen this possibility: you can export a LUT file but not import it.

Yes, other than (from) images, it looks like you can only import icc and icm color profiles.

it would be nice to give the user a better view of the true color palette in the source image. Working on the palette itself instead of the total color space would make things easier

That's just great feedback / idea ;-) Oleg are you reading this? je je

I have zero knowledge in this field, so forgive me if I say something stupid. If only the image colours are (re)presented in the palette, wouldn't that limit the options in the tweaking range of the colours? ... maybe the inside of whole colour spectrum could be inhabited by the the image specific palette blobs you're suggesting / showing - nice picture BTW
    But then wouldn't be so different as it is now, I don't know, I might have got it all wrong {head scratching monkey}

Now each blob could be individually graded by the process used by 3D LUT Creator and not only in hue, but also in saturation and value...

That would be neat. I can imagine a tridimensional interactive scope like thingie

a smooth palette of the 625 most important colors

That reminds me a bit how apple color made scopes work, by reading the whole image and downsampling the info.

Thanks so much for taking the time and chimming in @pwc
    I'm big fan of your Automated Colour Grading using Colour Distribution Transfer project, all good!!!

• @Jasketti I got the warning too, Oleg's explanation "It's because it is packed exe file that contains 2 dlls". But it's false alarm, just set AVG to ignore the exe.

• @maxr

If only the image colours are (re)presented in the palette, wouldn't that limit the options in the tweaking range of the colours? ... maybe the inside of whole colour spectrum could be inhabited by the the image specific palette blobs you're suggesting / showing

That's an idea, but the only changes you can see in 3D LUT Creator are the changes made to the image colors: out of gamut colors changes cannot be represented, so you would be working blindly, unless the program offers to supplement the source image with additional out-of-gamut color patches so that you see what your are doing... Since you can clearly see the grid points outside the gamut, showing, alongside the source image, an additional color patch for each one can be easily implemented.

• I have been playing with the curves import functionality. There's "method" option, and it seems that usually when it's set to "MinMax" the import works for the best. So I have this ugly photo, very greenish/blueish. I imported curves from one very good photo / style I'm looking for and I'm almost already done. Then I just boost reds in the Transfrom grid and increase brightness. It's so nice feeling when it looks like I have finally somekind of control for the color grading :)

puolukka_before.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 368K
    puolukka_after.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 340K
  • Here's another one, tried that classic "green-to-blue" trick (didn't work too well for this one) and played with curves. Vignette added in Lightroom.

P1000734-Edit-2.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 504K
  • @tonalt looking good, watch out for the highlights though (getting pinkish) unless that's what you're after. I managed best results doing first a general adjustment with all the grid and smooth selected... the I switch into a more detailed grid and make more precise color tweaking with single points selection in order to avoid shifting the whole mammoth, I meant gamut =)

Help / manual in очень мило russian though

•  
    Hi there guys, quick Q&A (questions and answers) with Oleg Sharonov, developer of 3D Lut Creator.
    The program is in version 1.0 and very frequently updated

• Is there a team or is it only you developing the program? - BTW great great work =)

I'm the only one developing the program, thank you =)

• How much does 3D LUT Creator costs and what is included?

It's $70 right now, updates for versions 0.x and 1.x are included

• Is there (would be) any support for non-russian speaking customers? Manual?

Yes, some guys are going to join me and found a company, then there will probably be site and manuals translation

• What are development / expansion plans? Is there going to be a mac build version?

I'm working on Mac version, and also going to implement some never-seen-before color corrections =)

• Where can 3D LUT Creator be used other than as a standalone? PS, Lightroom, video NLE, Davinci, After Efects?

It's hard to make a plug-in from it, because it's written on Delphi / Lazarus. I'll have to rewrite it in C++ to make plug-ins

• Which image formats does 3D LUT Creator work with? Which can export?

It uses freeimage library, so it can load and save everything it supports, including jpg, png, tiff, etc.

• Which LUT formats does 3D LUT Creator work with? Which can export?

It currently could not load LUT, because general LUT can't be presented using tools 3D LUT Creator have. I tried to make some approximations, discarding brightness information and so on, but it doesn't work well yet. So 3DLC is mainly to create LUT's, not to edit third-party ones. It can export 3DL, CSP and CUBE formats, and also I'm going to add ACV export for curves

• Would be possible to use it with video... in the future?

It's possible to use with video using single frames, in the same way lightroom does. Adding support for video files directly into program would require huge amount of work, and probably making it in form of plug-in would be a better way of doing it. But I can't say anything about plug-ins yet, if I would be able to make them or not.

As a side note
    There's a video explaining curves and curves extraction, but it's in russian. If you know someone who can voiceover it, I can write english subtitles
    So if anyone english and russian speaker is interested, feel free to contact Oleg, Facebook link above

Well, that's all folks... for now
    A sunny sunday for you all • gashô

• Video is in russian

3DL_creator-new-feat.jpg
    1097 x 540 - 135K