Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Detailed look at the Zacuto EVF
  • In my opinion this is a must have accessory for DSLR shooting. The first accessory I have really got excited about for a while.

Here is the review...

http://www.eoshd.com/content/3500/zacuto-evf-flip-review

In summary:

Image quality – superb resolution, accurate colour and smooth tonal range
    Helps manual focus even when used as a monitor, good as small portable field monitor as well as EVF
    Comes with an articulated Giottos ball-joint, so for DSLRs without an articulated screen (like the 5DMkII and 7D) it’s a big step up
    Clearly visible live-view in really strong sunlight when used as an EVF
    Can be offset on a shoulder rig in front of your eye, improving the balance of your rig
    Lovely big eyecup and comfortable to use

Also now thanks to Vitaliy we can use ExTele mode via HDMI and have full monitoring for the first time with c-mount lenses in 1:1 crop mode!
  • 39 Replies sorted by
  • >Also now thanks to Vitaliy we can use ExTele mode via HDMI and have full monitoring for the first time with c-mount lenses in 1:1 crop mode!

And you first tested this before writing, right? :-)
  • What my EXtele doesn't work when I'm hooked up to my ZEVF.... what am I doing wrong? Also still can't down scale the image with their custom scaling feature.

MJPEG looks great through the EVF though (just kidding!!) LOL
  • Not a lot :) But ExTele does work via HDMI I just have to change another setting to make it. Will post detailed results later.
  • Some comparing :

also

• DP4 looks good. Does it do anamorphic monitoring?
  • Does it have an HDMi pass through so if Vitaliy enables HDMI recording we could still do it?
  • I updated the new firmware. I tried the new downscale feature and the EVF crashed. Happened twice and once after going to factory default and reflashing.
  • @feha

I love Mike Kobals blog - sounds like the Terminator doing gear reviews :-)

The cheeseycam side by side was a bit rediculous since he didn't even turn the damn things on - might as well have shown prototypes.

@EOSHD, hey don't you think the included Giottos ball head isn't butch enough? I find its a bitch to get tight and always moves around on the hot shoe. Anyway I'm getting that Manfrotto that Mike Kobal has
  • @EOSHD
    HDMI output hack details, stat!!
  • Devices like this really help to make the HD DSLR a modular system. It's one of the things I love about HD DSLR's. You can switch out aspects of your system and upgrade things freely. Now that the GH2 Hack is up and running the future looks bright. Rather than seeing the market die it's really just getting started. I haven't made up my mind yet which EVF i'm going to buy. The DP4 looks great tool. I'm still hoping Redrock comes out with there's. The Cineroid EVF has some nice features as well.
  • @ed
    <<<<<HDMI output hack details, stat!! <br />Yeah, that's the Holy Grail of the GH2 hack as far as I'm concerned. The stock GH2 gets a killer image, so it may take something dramatic like HMDI 422 to a capture device to significantly raise the bar on performance.
  • For me I am waiting for the sounddevices PIX 220 recorder reviews. It seems to be a killer product with hdmi prores recorder, xlr imput and monitor.
  • @last_SHIFT The Giottos joint isn't high end but it works well for me. If you are moving camera around a lot I'd buy a better one just to be sure. I just find it a bit loser on the GH2 than the 600D. It doesn't quite seem to fasten to the hotshoe as robustly.

@ed_lee83 will do some HDMI testing tonight with it in ExTele mode, it was only one setting that got it to work otherwise it just gave you the prompt but not the feed. Oh and it only comes on when you hit record. Further testing required but sure we'll get there in the end.
  • @EOSHD

I find the new firmware to be very buggy. It lags, crashes just buy running down the menu list sometimes, and audio meters only work during playback...unless I'm just an idiot (highly possible) and they are only supposed to work that way :-)
  • That's the fault of the camera. DSLRs currently don't provide an audio feed during recording. That firmware update is more aimed at FS100 and F3 users. Seeing none of the lags and crashes you are seeing. Very strange!
  • So ex-tele mode only works when the record button is hit? thats great
  • I feel with patience and work, we can look at that aspect. BTW why do people love to dwell only on the small negative things on internet forums!?!?
  • >BTW why do people love to dwell only on the small negative things on internet forums!?!?

Meaning?
  • @EOSHD, yes the smallHD DP4 does 2:35.1 aspect ratio (anamorphic) and guides for it. That's what the guys at smallHD told me, getting mine shortly.
  • @HillTop1
    What do you think about making short review?
    DP4 looks very good looking at the specs and design.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev, will do when I get it.
  • @EOSHD

Why do I need a Zacuto EVF for GH2?
  • @Butt
    Improved assessment of focus, framing, composition and exposure.
  • I have the In-Cam-Viewfinder!