Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Uncompressed video
  • I have a completely clueless question. I'm thinking about buying a BM Hyperdeck shuttle 2 for my AC160. I'm aware of the storage limitations, but if my understanding is correct, it will greatly improve some shots. The bulk would still be to SD cards.

What are the real advantages to uncompressed...(less noise, etc?????)

Next question and it's more curiosity than anything else. I've read every thread I can find on the HDMI output with the GH2 and it's still unclear if there's any advantage to recording to the shuttle (It sounds like PAL isn't as handicapped).

Thanks

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • "greatly improve some shots" - no. Marginally improve some shots - yes. The AC160 seems to have an excellent implimentation of H264, so the improvement by recording uncompressed will be slight. The only scenario where uncompressed will be distictly better is for greenscreen work. And here it's not so much for the uncompressed, as it is for recording a 4.2.2 picture with double the chroma resolution of H264. This makes it easier to pull a key.

Uncompressed will not produce less noise (unless the H264 is truly awful and creates it's own compression noise, which I don't believe is the case with the AC160). If anything, you may see slightly more noise, because H264 usually filters out the very highest frequencies. This is the true noise that the sensor is producing. If these highest frequencies are allowed to pass through, you will also see the ultimate fine detail in the picture, which is a good thing. But is it worth it? Maybe, maybe not. It's something you have to see for yourself.

As for the GH2 and it's HDMI output, you will not see anything significantly better than the great hacks we already have. And you will definitely not get a 4.2.2 picture out of the HDMI. As you know the chroma is badly messed up. It can be fixed to create a clean 4.2.0 picture, which is the same as the in-camera picture, so no advantage there.

• Thank you Ralph... after looking over the specs again I saw it wasn't comparable with Windows 7 without another $50.00 add on.

I set aside a portion of every job for equipment and thankfully I've been busy. The BM looks like something I'd really love to have but I'm not entirely happy with the shoulder rig I'm using with the 160 either. Both aren't in the budget.