Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @ duartix Like Tambo, I read the edit before I send the last mail and it states nothing about the video format. So again the question : Did you film in 25h, HBR, 1080i or 720p?

Thanks for the answer.

• Suspense only adds excitement to the drama ;)

• Lot's of info in the "edit" Duratix's, thanks for that but doesn't list format, HBR, etc :-)

• quick grab off the camera

ARTWALK200001.MTS.Still001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 667K
  • @AKED: In the post with the video: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/60589#Comment_60589 right below the video where it says (EDIT). OR as an alternative just search this page for: (edit)

• @ duartix I read your comments to the -very sharp- concert fotage. But I did not find with which format you fimed. 25h, HBR, 1080i, 720p? I am interested to know. Thanks

• Thanks Ralph.

Yes, ISO 6400 isn't great out. I can choose it. So it seems that it worked out fine.

• @oneday As subco suggests, try dropping the ISO down. Even going down just one notch to 2500 may make all the difference.

• @MountainKing "if I choose PAL for video the gF2 or better its new firmware chooses automatically the 50p mode? And when switching to NTSC it uses 60? Is that right?"

That is exactly correct. It seems many first timers are uncertain whether they actually applied the hack. One way to find out is, if you check Maximum ISO limit removal in ptools, the ISO's above 3200 in the camera menu won't be grayed out.

• Should the firmware on my GF2 show up as v1.1 (so it does after the hack) or as v0.0 (like on GH1s)?

Just want to be sure that everything worked out fine. It seems that the 29.59 min border has been removed (time remaining is shown by 1 hour 4 min) and I also have got all the languages (that I don't need BTW... forgot to uncheck).

Would would you say?

edit: I went through this whole hacking process using this great tutorial including the vids:

http://pixelphile.blogspot.de/2011/06/gh1-how-to-hack-guide.html

Did I get it right that the firmware uses autmatically the tweaks and setting used in the actual patch - here: Sanity 5? For instance: if I choose PAL for video the gF2 or better its new firmware chooses automatically the 50p mode? And when switching to NTSC it uses 60? Is that right?

I'm just trying to understand the functionality of those hacks tweaking the firmware.

• sanity 5 failed spaning at 720p 3200 iso lumix 14-42 lens, the recording just stopped after 13:29, few days before it worked flawless 4 hours with same setup

• I have installed the Sanity 5. but I have a doubt, in the ptool have increased by 2 the number in the section 'Enter increment', originally this patch come marked with 1. I did well?

Thanks!

• @Ralph_B, sure, i just wanted to stress it out, to be a 100% sure it is stable in all situations ...

• @feha The only thing I can suggest is to shoot without auto-focus. Actually, you shouldn't need auto-focus anyway when shooting from a car with a wide angle prime lens, like the 14mm.

• @Ralph_B, i used HBR (PAL) on GH2, same problem i had even with GF2, FSH ... both used with pancake 14mm / auto focus. This happens only when shooting from the car, fast moving objects and much details, but not always. It's not that easy to stress it to that level ... But this makes me worry ...
    Sanity 5

• @feha What mode were you shooting in?

• @Ralph_B , all my cards are Sandisk Extreme HD Video 30MB/s 32GB class 10.

• @Ralph_B I've used Sanity 5 with 16 gig and 32 gig 95mb, 16 Gig 30mb, 16 Gig 45 mb sdxc cards and never had a problem. I did try some low end class 4 cards tha locked up but I expected that.

• FWIW, I use Sanity v4.1 with 64GB 95Mb/s cards, and never had any problems in-camera...

• @feha

subco is right - the card may be the culprit. I developed Sanity using Sandisk Extreme HD Video 30MB/s 16GB class 10 cards. This is what I recommend. People have reported good success with other class 10 cards. However, there have been occassional problems with higher speed cards- 45MB/s and 95MB/s. Some people have had success with class 6 cards, but not all of them.

• @Ralph_B, it really works great, but i got freeze, it crashed when shooting from fast driving car, lens 14mm (auto focus), on GH2, is there any way to prevent this, so Sanity get's stable when shooting with auto focus ?

• OK, this patch seems to be what I've been looking for if I'm not wrong.

1) AFAI could figure out it would work on GF2 cameras, right? 2) And it's a real bread and butter patch for nearly everything, right? 3) Mostly stable?

If yes for all three questions then it should be my patch to try out. I'm a noobie to those kind of hacks and patches so just be a bit patient with me. ;-)

I will read the whole thread anyway but I thought I should ask quickly since at the moment there are some folks around here. I highly appreciate all your efforts on working on such patches.

Cheers Jens

edit: Ah, Ralph answered as well in the meantime.

• Sanity 5 is universally good. It handles motion incredibly well. I wouldn't have released it if it didn't. Don't think for one second that it's only good for static shots.

• @peternap & @mo7ies Yes I was referring to the mega I-Frames trick.

• From a very quick and dirty look at Sanity V5 I'd say the bread and butter of it's amazing efficiency lies in having a real long GOP (18) and scaling tables for P/B frames that are a lot more aggressive than stock. That could have some effect on IQ, but perhaps with AutoQuantizer being set to "4-All to details" it makes an amazing recovery.

What I can say is that for a tripod mounted shot of static footage such as this it worked like a charm with amazingly low bitrates...

Details of the shot updated on my original post: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/60589#Comment_60589