Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @subco Thank you Sir!

• @Ralph_B How hard is it to add thepalalias audio hack to 5 Ralph?

• Ok thanks ralph.

So 4.1 has a higher bitrate threshold than 5 yes? I use 720 mainly for fast motion shots. Was previously using 4.1. Is 5 geared towards IQ v efficient file size and not motion?

• @MRfanny It's not a good idea. Raising the bitrate beyond what it is, also raises the likelyhood of getting write errors. As an alternative, I suggest using Sanity 4.1.

• Hey Ralph, thanks again for the patch.

I got macro blocking "mud" on some fast/whip pan shots the other day in 720 kit lens indoor high iso. Just wondering what the peak bitrate is on sanity 5 and is it possible to up it without disrupting the patch too much for greater quick panning fast movement buffer?

cheers.

• I'll give it a try Ralph, but I was just playing. I doubt I'll ever use it. On a more realistic note, I used Sanity 5 a lot at the farm yesterday. Nothing really great. I got a few bear pictures but was using the 7D but I got some truly breathtaking macro's with the GH2 using my Nikkor 55mm micro lens and Sanity 5.

There may be some instances where the higher bitrate patches have an advantage, but in most cases, especially in 720P, Sanity is just the thing.

That's sort of a long winded way to say Thanks!

I'll post some later. I have to take my wife to Mothers day dinner now.

This is a quick screen grab http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/liz2.jpg?t=1336933131

another http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/liz.jpg

• @peternap The effect you're going for is done by using a high shutter speed, not by dropping frames. Use a shutter speed of 250 or greater. The idea is to elliminate motion blur. Exactly what shutter speed to use is determined by how fast the subject matter is moving. Obviously, a little experimentation is in order to get a feel for it.

You can see an extreme example of this in the Sanity tests in the first post. I used a 2000 sec shutter to freeze the whip pan.

• I'm not sure this shows off Sanity 5 but I was doing some test shots to see how it grades with a little motion (which it does very well) but for some reason I decided to remove every other frame from an ungraded clip. I wanted to get the Private Ryan look. Sanity handled that like a champ too.

• @kent Thanks - I thought so. Not to derail this topic, here's the link to another one discussing unnatural strobing of GH2 imagery with 180deg shutter:

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/58392#Comment_58392

• @mo7ies 50th, HBR25 see end of movie.

• @kent What was your shutter speed? Thanks.

• A few hours at the zoo, 2 GH2s both running SANITY 5.

• @tcarretti

It's OK. I'm learning from this little interchange, as well.

• Ok, downloaded Handbrake but unfortunately it won't load Cineform Neoscene AVI files. I also have the Avid DnxHD codec installed on my machine, but for some reason it's only available to me inside After Effects ( not Premiere...?) AND I don't know what settings to use in it either.

Will try the PP settings from above to see if there is any appreciable increase in render quality directly out of Premiere.

Sorry if this derailed the thread, dont want to take anything away from this great patch!

• @mo7ies Thanks again :)

• Keyframe simply syncs video with audio at the interval you set. So Keyframe = 1 would lock audio with video at each frame. Keyframe = 24 with 24p video would lock it at 1 second interval. Usually it is considered OK to lock it at 1 sec because no audible drift would occur over such short interval, thus a recommendation to use Keyframe setting equal to the particular video's framerate. Don't worry about it too much, it will work :)

• @mo7ies Thanks for the fast reply. I was merely trying to find the best way to go, so I just thought that higher was better. I also read that I should set the key frame distance the same as the native frame rate of the video (in my case 50), but then Vimeo does not go higher than 30 ... Would this degrade the quality. Still confused ... Thanks again

• @Mike_C On my system, it defaults to Level 3.2 and I never had a reason to investigate/change this setting any further. All of the settings I posted are equally applicable to 720p renders. (Personally, I prefer to render/upload non-critical online demos as 720p WMV, not MP4s, but hey it's just my workflow.)

• @mo7ies Is there a specific reason why you're suggesting to use Level 3.2 ? I can go as high as 4.2 (encoding at 720p) but am not too sure of what it does except that "constrains the encoding parameters such as maximum bit rate, maximum frame size". Thanks

• @subco works great! Thanks!

• Tony, just make a custom Export setting in PPro as follows, it will work for YouTube, Vimeo etc etc: H.264 Profile High, Level 3.2, 1080p at your framerate, Widescreen (16:9) Progressive, VBR 1 Pass Target 4.0kbps Max 6.0Mbs , square pixels (1:1), Render at Max Depth Checked, Use Maximum Render Quality Checked, Keyframe 1 frame, Audio: AAC 44.1kHz 64 kbps Stereo.

• @subco - Thank you! I'm off to download Handbrake now. Will definitely try this out!

• @tcarretti Why don;t you ask the staff at Vimeo. In their usual helpful way, they'll point you to a Faq that explains the way to get the WORST video possible. (deliberate jab at the Vimeo staff)

• @subco,

Thanks! I'd really appreciate it. Been searching online and can't find anything definitive. You'd think this wouldbe common knowledge by now.