Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Ninja V / A7siii, Help
  • Ive been trying to figure out how I got Prores files / AVI to playback in W10. I reformatted and thought I have all right codecs installed ect.

I reg. Prores Raw and DNxHD ect. I have adobe premiere pro and it reads them fine and plays them ]\ I have VLC MPC player and those dont work either.

If anyone can he lp me that would be nice.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • bottom line is , I just need to be able to view the raw files on w10 with VLC or MPC video player,. not downloading 34 apps just to convert and waste time.

Also need to be able to enter my code for dnxhd but have no clue idea were to do that, done reasearch and watched videos. im lost.

• In not sure you'll find much Prores RAW support on Windows outside of something like Premiere since it's a codec licensed by Apple.

Could be wrong...

How come you can't use Premiere to view it, just convenience?

Re. The code , from Reddit.

"Yea I figured it out .. every time I try to switch to DNX it prompts me to activate it with a four digit code but I just realized I don't have to activated I can just exit out of the screen"

I don't have a Ninja V A7S iii but I have worked with the files on Mac. No native support in Resolve, a real pain. QuickTime plays back no problem , if only they didn't drop Windows support years ago...

• hmm, well I jus want the best quality out of the ninja v , So im clear the ProRes Raw 16bit 4.2k is best option right? and even if im on PC with premiere I can playback and watch them ect and edit them jus cant playback the prores files with VLC or anything jus the DNxHD files.

When I goto denoise and grade/edit the files It gets super choppy. Do i need to get a better processor? I got 8700k stock, 32gb ram, 2080Ti, X2 NVME hds, ssd.

Ty I jus thought that before I reformatted I was able to watch prores files on my pc with VLC or that MPC player maybe I was wrong.

• That sounds like it would be able to handle it well in theory, try dropping down the quality of the playback in Premiere. Click Playback resolution from the preview window and drop it down through 1/2 1/4 etc and see if it helps .

Also some recommendations from Adobe here. https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/prores-raw-support-adobe-video-applications.html

Yeah Prores RAW will give you the most flexibility for grading if you know what you're up to.

If you are editing the footage from the nvme ssds then they shouldn't be bottlenecking you. If you have a mechanical HDD that would bottleneck you.

• I bought and FX3 and have an core i7 6 core at 4.2ghz 64gb of ram gtx980 ti. All footage except h265 runs fine. Just don’t expect to put on layer and effects without downgrading the playback resolution. It’s ok for cutting and basic color grading.

• Yeah I dont really wanna have to drop playback res. Im debating if I want to get the Ryzen 5900x since they are avail. now.

Id like to have a system that can run and playback 4.2k prores raw at 100% res with somthing like Filmconvert filter over top.

• But in reality at the end what you see is the cut, you get used to lower resolution. At the end you put render in to out and your done.

Personally I don’t mind having full resolution playback and 3 layers running perfectly. Sometimes for me it distracts from the main cutting process. Putting layers of color and effects on top of something not finished I don’t know k out it at the end. Then I wish I had 32 cores and 2 tb of ram with 2 rtx 3090.

So, better out your effort in a better cut then put it on post. Proress is a very intensive codec specially if you increase to 4:4:4 color.