Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Digital Bolex raw camera, no longer made
  • 1130 Replies sorted by
  • You know, now that I have thought about it, I realize that this tiny screen that has no in-cam playback capability is a good thing, leaves more to the imagination, which may tap into unknown creative energy. I can see that this is a good thing.

• I don't know why people keep comparing IQ and features of Digibolex to BM pocket camera. Pocket camera is pocket camera. This Flash Gordon gun should due to form factor really be compared with BM production camera, shouldn't it? It does fine but leave the pocket cam out of it.

• now that I have thought about it, I realize that this tiny screen that has no in-cam playback capability is a good thing, leaves more to the imagination, which may tap into unknown creative energy. I can see that this is a good thing.

LOL. It can be cool to have camera decide all by itself without any indicators, so all will be left to imagination.

• now that I have thought about it, I realize that this tiny screen that has no in-cam playback capability is a good thing, leaves more to the imagination, which may tap into unknown creative energy. I can see that this is a good thing.

Yeah. I think that my phone camera leaves even more to the imagination! Too bad that my usual clients are fucking unimaginative.

• Or am I? :))

• Future firmware update will have playback within camera, as well as 800 ISO. So I guess a little imagination it will have to be until then. Also, on the D16 forums they are talking about implementing compressed format like Prores HQ since everyone keeps harping on it... at least they are trying and are responsive.
    And let's draw the line on what the REAL and TRUE king of the "Hipster" cameras were and still are: the 5DMark II and III;) One of the many reasons I bought my GH1 and GH2 so I could stick it to these 'Hipsters." (j/k of course) and get away from all those diffused, autumn leaf color tones! Sorry to all my 5D brethren, but I had to throw down the gauntlet - and what the heck IS a hipster? I thought they were misanthropic trustfund babies who like to wear cool, yet dirty, vintage clothing? Man, peeps just wanna hate this camera and the Digital Bolex team... I guess time will tell. By the way, this is a very good thread, very lively.

Salud

• Traditionally hipsters are people who identify themselves as counter-culturalists. Ironic how it has turned out to be pop culture. Personally, I could care less what people wear or how they talk, if all they do is talk and wear: I care even less about them. People who DO things (hipster or not) have my attention - and these digital bolex people are DOING something.

• Nice post, thanks. Hipster is the expensive clothing that looks vintage with no functional reason (e.g. The crank). Misantropic trustfund babies become hipster when they crowdfund. It is pleasing and disturbing same time. Where they failed is that there is still no ios app for d16 that does something with the crank.

• @inqb8tr What are you rambling about? the crank is programmable to control a variety of functions, and eventually to be used as follow focus.

The bmpcc is compared to the d16 because they are both near 16mm sensors cameras. That and it exists, unlike the production camera.

And the use of the word hipster has become cringe-worthy to the point of embarrassment. If that's the best you can do to try and disparage an electronic device you are really clasping at straws :P

• I know, right? Webster's Dictionary:
    hip·ster noun \ˈhip-stər\

a person who follows the latest styles, fashions, etc. : a hip person

That could be anyone from Hip-hoppers to skateboarders to hobo-surfers like me (if hobo-surfer is an accepted label). Anyways, the footage looks great to me, the features are pretty solid, and I took a chance and a risk on a camera that may or may not live on; it'll be nice to make a SOLID decision once a camera is in my hands. Is it a niche camera? Yeah, I think so. I believe, subjectively, a lot of indie filmmakers and music video artist will flock to this camera, especially with future updates. It's not universal for many productions like a Sony F55, but it's a nice tool for me. I just don't get it when people hate on a small company that REALLY is working hard, earnestly in my opinion, on a product they believe in. Trust me, since I invested into this camera, I appreciate the criticism from everyone on this camera since it allows me to zone in on the investment I made... but in the end, it's risk I took for a tool (not because I'm a hipster), that I've researched extensively as well as played with their footage and communicated with the owners, and its really is a great cam, man. But that is subjective based on my needs and my overall view, I understand.

Look, I love my GH2 and BMPCC and BMCC MFT and there are TONS of hate for those cams here and other forums. Ultimately, it's the operator/ "imaginative"creator that make a cam great, limitations and all.

Man, I haven't written anything this long since Driftwood's "Mysterion" and there was a cat who kept asking Driftwood - "what is the best - WHAT IS THE BEST HACK, Mr. Driftwood" over and over for 5 pages (anyone remember that guy?).

• this is getting really old, but..problem is, people who use 5Ds are actually working, making movies and making a living, as many statistics can show (as opposed to other affordable cameras). I'm not going to even attempt to discuss this non existing subject, but just wanted to remind you that people who define themselves and others by their camera model of choice are obviously not that bright, knowledgable, or confident.. (and probably not even related to actual filmmaking) Have a good night :-)

• @luekio Rambling, hmmmm, why the long face? @lunalobo75 I wasn't ironic when said nice post, this one even more, I have nothing to add. My post is just a bit more on the side of why rather than how, and mainly the bulllshit we are exposed to, that really does not have to do much with the creativity of users nor with the tool itself.

• @3Kids I agree with you wholeheartedly, although I did it in a more convoluted way, my apologies... by the way, I own a 5D Mark II and III, so what I said was in jest about the 5D. @inqb8tr , you've been cool, man, so I hope my post didn't come off as an attack on you, it was just a culmination of things; I've put the blame on my daughter before, but after long day of trying to get her to sleep, my post don't get a clean edit; more of a "crap, is she awake, I got go" type of thing which leaves me with a stream of consciousness kinda post. I just have to wait for the D16 to arrive and put my "money where my mouth is" ... sink or swim.

• "Hipsters can't be defined because then they'd fit in a category, and thus be too mainstream." --Urban Dictionary

• I'm shocked how 180 degrees wrong the Webster definition is. They couldn't get more wrong.

• 5d shooters vs d16 per-orderer's (no ammo yet) vs BMD shooters vs iphone/samsung device shooters.

forum board gang violence.

• @BurnetRhoades I know, clearly they are not very with it. I imagine a room full of seventy year olds who brag about how they don't use the internet. It appears most people have the definition of hipster completely backwards, but as I mentioned earlier, it has become the antithesis of what it set out to be, which is where I think many peoples confusion comes from. Websters definition being completely backwards doesn't help much either. The culture of hipster has been appropriated by the very people the originators set out to be exactly the opposite of. This should be a D16 shot documentary.

• This should be a D16 shot documentary.

That would be so deliciously ironic.

• Since I'm broke I'll say 5D people are hipsters - since I own a 50D I'll say 50D people are mad scientists.

D16 people are bloggers

• From the Wikipedia: "Currently the license prevents them from selling any cameras under the Bolex brand name outside of the United States." Interesting, as in several places they charge extra for International shipping. Plus Philip Bloom ordered one (and received one).

• @DrDave "as in several places they charge extra for International shipping."

where ?

They aren't shipping internationally as yet. People are pre-sale buying them internationally using second party re-shipping services like myus, or planning to have friends send them. PB was the second person to back the kickstarter campaign. Get ya facts straight.

• Clearing EU bureaucracy is a tough un - look at Apple and their finger chewing fans - but hey its a super 8 for the 2014 enthusiasts like most DSLRS are and will be - nowt to do, or effect the daily 1000's of broadcast programs delivered and watched or the "film" world - have a long term view? But it may grow some video makers for the future - the current climate is like like asking for Hendrix's guitar and sound when you first start bashing Hey Jude - nowt comes easily - work at it - if you don't, you'll be found out in an instant the day you step on set with the old buggers who've been doing it for decades. It's only telly & it's only film - when you get to the morning hangover morning you realise that - you'll already probably be there :)

• @luekio when does your camera arrive? I can't wait to see the footage...

• @leukio re "where" and "getting my facts straight" that is from the Bolex site, if you have not read the info on their site I suggest you start there, then get your facts straight. I am curious how, just reading about the terms of the license, they did this end around, not to mention one must pay VAT and so on. I don't know the answers, I'm just curious.

Is it true it isn't licensed outside USA, and if so why are they offering international shipping? I'm just going by what I read, and you are welcome to read as well.

• More frames from PB. Probably readyin' the ole' review soon. Looking forward to it: http://goo.gl/TBpdKe