Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
"bad file name, camera won't be able to read such a file"
  • Some people, like me, have experienced a problem: Being unable to save the hacked firmware for their GH1 (or GH2, I assume) with Ptool, because it just keeps insisting that "bad file name, camera won't be able to read such a file". This, even if the naming follows the rules exactly (in the vein of GH1__133.bin), and nothing seems to help.

I do not know if anybody has reported the solution before, at least I could not find one here or the rest of the internet, but I faced this problem today and eventually found a fix.

The solution is that the SOURCE firmware, the one you load at the beginning, needs to be correctly named as well. When the problem happened to me, I had made a copy/paste duplicate of the very original Panasonic firmware that I had downloaded from the internet. This had resulted to a source filename "GH1__132 - Copy.bin"

One would imagine that it makes no difference, as PTool requests the user to give a name when saving and that is the only thing that has to pass the validity check. However, for some reason the original filename, probably "-" or " " character, echoes the saving procedure and the validity test is failed. For instance, when I finally tested renaming the source firmware first back to "GH1__132.bin and then saving it with the name"GH1__133.bin", it was suddenly again very acceptable name and finally got my hacked firmware saved.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • it seems you have two underscores and 3 digits GH1__133.bin, it should be like GH1_13.bin

edit: the two underscores are correct, but I presume you can only use 2 digits in gh2 at least.

• @yarlanz

PTool assume that original firmware name is correct.
    Underscores number play no role here, as it even transparently fix this issue for you.

• Btw. Wonderful tool, Vitaliy! It gave a whole new life to my GH1!