Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Z-CAM E1 Camera 100 Mbps hack for 4K DCI (fw v0.31)
  • 382 Replies sorted by
  • @spacewig and @Greenidge, watch messages upper - I've reached 200 Mb/s in MJPEG mode. But I still don't know, is it my firmware with new frequencies on sd-card UHS bus or it works on original firmware.

• @Chumby, thanks. I'll do these patches for you soon.

• Two questions:

1: On GitHub, the files are mixed as autoexec.asc and autoexec.ash. Which is correct?

2: You list these patches for FW0.31, but on the Z-Camera firmware update site I see only 0.30. No 0.31. Can you confirm it is for 0.31 and not 0.30, and if for 0.31 can you supply a link to that firmware?

Thank you.

Edit: Ok, I did a google search for FW0.31 and found it. Odd that the "official" Z-Camera site does not list it.

• Z CAM E1 new firmware release 0.31.

• 4K 24fps audio sync bug fix.
    • Shutter setting reset bug fix.
    • Revised ZLog with LUT.
    • Minor bug fixes.

Upgrade procedures:

1) Make sure a fully charged battery is put in the Z CAM E1.

2) Download the latest firmware release: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XSUJiRV0bo_ebzkuOCF5hKgEtZqY4MQR?fbclid=IwAR1Oap3FFF4vErBCUDxdPxhZNeD7UN3pcPWTUAsJvqG4jnSVrCCEXaSxmGk

3) Save the firmware file E1Fw.bin to root directory of the Micro SD card.

4) Insert the Micro SD card to Z CAM E1 and turn on the camera.

5) Choose “Version” in the Setup menu, then select OK to proceed with the upgrade.

LUT for ZLog: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jm5OYzotpEZp83rzh99fKSs4AWGShX0Z/view?fbclid=IwAR2BQSmboSKbRyponZQGXLREKzNO965aNR97TAAkSmoMF6wNbU1cRopdSD0

• @allmankind, thank you for noticing my misprint! Right extension is ".ash" - I'll correct it on github.

About firmware: last firmware was uploaded and posted on their facebook. Watch link: https://www.facebook.com/pg/ZCameraE1

• I don't use facebook. No account and don't want one.

Anyway, I found the 0.31 FW by googling.

Thanks for the patches, I'll give them a try.

• @Chumby, "Also possible is it possible to add this into the HTML out clean feed?" - what do you mean?

• @storyboardcreativity - I don't have the camera in front of me, but if using it as a streaming device my memory is you can output 720p and 1080p through the mini hdmi port? Just wondering if the faster bitrate can be pushed out here?

• Okay guys, this sounds great BUT I cannot get this to work. I have E1 with 0.31 firmware installed. I cannot download the .ash files directly (Chrome just gives me an HTML page with the .ash extension) but I can generate a script file that looks OK using Notepad++, and save as a Unix script format so I assume line returns are correct.

I've had no problems writing and using CHDK scripts in the past, so I must be doing something pretty stupid here.

A .zip or .7z archive would makes things easier IMHO.

When I put any of these .ash files in the root directory I see no difference in any of the recorded videos; they are all h.264 AVC at 60Mb/s.

,ash files like the mjpeg one doesn't require any configuration as it is presented, does it?

Also, some of the scripts accept values, is there any explanation of what values are acceptable?

Is it practical to have all these options in one file, and to comment out the entries we don't need?

• Hello it is possible for E1 a pach to make the file at the high frame rates 120FPS soo save the recording at 120Fps in the playback but with 30FPS is played back for slow motion

• Hello it is possible for E1 a pach to make the file at the high frame rates 120FPS soo save the recording at 120Fps in the playback but with 30FPS is played back for slow motion

• Hello. Alot of us would love to see this applied to the 2432x2432 firmware! Is 60fps on 2432x2432 still impossible for the E1?

• @rjhinde....and everyone who's confused.

open the .ash file....you see the code in a window. Hit the raw button on the right. The code opens again. Right click "save file as" ....ash will save to your comp. Put it on your card. That's it. I'm getting, for a complex scene, up to 115mbps for dci4k.

• @kurth, thanks - I figured it had to be a line return thing and found the raw button eventually. I think that there may well be others like myself who are not regular Github users and will fall into the same trap.

Now, what configuration changes are possible and what values are acceptable?

• Firmware 0.31, the Hack (100 Mbps), Zlog2 and the Zlog2 LUT Test Video

• What I like to have explained is how to combine 2 or more .ash files on the card ?

• Just make/copy an .ash file and paste the lines from the file(s) you want to include. Use a text editor (I use Notepad++).

Then you can add all the options you think you might want and comment out the ones you aren't currently using.

You can add your own comment lines to make things clearer for you.

• @rjhinde....thanks...did that but can't see where notepad++ saves to .ash...not in save file as, nor in preferences. Is it language>actionscript ? Nope....that ain't it !

• @kurth Just "save as" a Unix script file and change the .bash to .ash; if you have an .ash file already being edited, just save to keep the .ash extension.

• gracias!

• @storyboardcreativity is it possible to make 100Mb/s bitrate for 4K (3840x2160) 25fps as well and higher bitrate (50-60 MB/s for eg) for HD resolutions (1920x1080)? Thank you.

• @AdvUser, yes, 100 Mb/s 4K 25 fps possible. I'll do this patch soon. But 50-60 MB/s is not possible now due to UHS bus (I try to overclock it, but it does not work now).

• Did anybody check is there a 30-minutes time limit for video? I see code that sets 29 minutes time limit if camera's region is "en". If smb has problems with it I can disable limit.

• And it's better if people post issues to my github (for example, if camera has bugs, I can try to solve them).

• @storyboardcreativity

It is not better, as most people will stop doing this (you need to register, etc). Personally checked such.