Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GX1 Hack Coming?
  • The Panasonic GX1 has been released and it is getting great reviews everywhere. It's the perfect successor to the legendary GF1. It's beautifully built, with fast focus and great image quality.

A hacked GX1 - which would enable stuff like high-ISO filming, manual video controls and higher bitrates - would make it the perfect travel camera. Small and light (with small lenses too, unlike the NEXes), yet great at video. Right now it's just "okay" at video, hacks would enable it to show its full potential. Since the GX1 allows direct recording to MP4 I guess that'll make it a little bit easier to hack than with the other models where you have to deal with the dreadful AVCHD format.

Since Vitaliy has said that G3 is next after the GF3 has been hacked, I think it would be fitting to work on the GX1 right after that. I've read several places that the GX1 and the G3 is quite similar. They both have the same sensor apparently. Vitaliy have self said that "It is G3 in other body, without EVF and all else is almost the same." That'll hopefully make it easy to hack right after the G3 has been hacked..

A firmware update was released a couple of days ago, which I guess will make the process a little bit easier too.

What do you guys, and especially Vitaliy, think?

• 18 Replies sorted by
  • Right now it is not coming.

As I said G3 will be first in line.

• Yep. Now I can said certainly. I'll start working on GF3 porting within days. And G3 and GX1 hacks will follow.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Great news Vitaliy! Does this mean the GH2 v1.1 is in alpha now? Adding manual video controls to the G, GF, and GX cameras would be very beneficial. Have you been able to determine if manual controls could be added to those cameras like it was added for the GF1 and G2?

• It'll be public alpha (to core team) very soon, as I told. As for manual controls this will be first thing to look at after release.

• Just bought a GX1 in Japan, and am hoping to be able to change the language to English (via a hack). Just donated. Happy to test!

• Interested on getting English to on the Japanese GX1 version.

• This is wonderful!

• are there possibilities to improove some functiones for examples HDR or PANORAMA on the camera?

• Can firmware hacking help with the rolling shutter?

• The rolling shutter on my gx1 is so dissapointing I'm back using my GF1. Could a hack help with this or is this just inherrent with the design?

• @nod

What formats(1080p or 720p) have rolling shutter issues? The faster the frame and shutter speed the less the rolling shutter has an affect. I don't notice the rolling shutter affect at all when shooting with the GH2 in 720p @ 60 FPS mode and a shutter speed of 1/120 or faster as long as I don't wave the camera around aimlessly.

• @mpgxsvcd it is the gx1 that I find so bad for this effect. 720 or 1080. Much worse than gf1.

• @nod

I don't have the GX1. I have a GF1 and a GH2 though. The GH2 in 720p @ 60 FPS has no noticeable rolling shutter affect for me in normal shooting.

I can induce the rolling shutter affect on the GH2 even in 720p @ 60 FPS mode. However, then my photographing technique is more to blame for ruining the shot than the rolling shutter is.

• J'ai participé (benoit.pro@live)... où en est le hack du GX1 ?

• The 720p60 mode in GX1 is of sensor output at 30fps.

• Just got Gx1 Eu version (accident). I am looking to return if it's cheap option to get NTSC. As an alternative, I am assuming the upcoming hack will let me swap from Pal to NTSC sensor output. Hardware is all the same right? Is this still on track for June completion date? Wasn't sure if Vitaliy ever got the second Gx1 body to complete. I donated hoping it would help.

Thanks!

• Yes, hardware is the same. I am working on GX1 patches, do not worry.

• You mentioned "public alpha to core team" above. Has that happened yet? Just trying to see when others like me might get it? Following the intial release, it would be so nice to see manual video controls as well.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions