Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
FBI vs. Apple
  • Just wondering of some of you safecrackers have an opinion on this. Is the FBI bluffing? Was a deal cut? Can you hack iPhone security? Inquiring minds want to know. And I promise I'm not an undercover FBI guy (which is exactly what an undercover FBI guy would say actually) http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-fbi-tech-industry-20160328-snap-story.html

That legal mess between the FBI and Apple over the last two months? The tech world wants to make sure it doesn't happen again. The FBI's declaration Monday that it could hack into an iPhone without Apple's help -- a device the agency had insisted carried security measures only the tech giant could defeat -- at least temporarily ends the clash between Washington and Silicon Valley. Though a momentary reprieve for Apple and its peers, the tech industry's reaction to the FBI's decision contained more warning than celebration. Perhaps with good reason: The FBI's move to dismiss legal actions against Apple in the investigation of the San Bernardino attack does little to settle the heated back-and-forth between law enforcement agencies seeking to expand their crime-fighting toolbox and tech firms fearful of being compelled to work at the behest of the government, executives and experts said. “This entire experience has shown we need to have much broader conversation around the policy, regulation and laws in a digital world and what does it mean to have secure technology,” Aaron Levie, chief executive of online storage provider Box Inc., said in an interview. SNIP

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • Well, documents show that Apple helped GBI and other agencies many times.

Now it was mostly public stunt related to Apple sales.

• I had it on the best of advice on the 3rd of March that the iPhone had been hacked (perhaps long ago). "It's all about arranging the money now," he said, referring to when and how hack would be revealed.

• The FBI was making a play. It didn't work.

• The FBI was making a play. It didn't work.

FBI is just organization working in interests of capitalists.

Apple needed marketing stunt - Apple got it.
    Now average Joe thinks that they care about security and his data.
    Of course they don't and are same side with FBI.

• Guys, this sounds like a lot of "conspiracy talk" to me. I assure you, the FBI along with all government officials and politicians are here to serve you and the people. And before you mention any case of corruption, I can also assure you that these are merely bad apples. Once bad apples removed, we're back to fully clean, moral, people-serving government. You should thank these people for their service. (And if you believe that, I got a couple of bridges for sale in New York City..and yes I take Western Union money transfer)

• I assure you, the FBI along with all government officials and politicians are here to serve you and the people. And before you mention any case of corruption, I can also assure you that these are merely bad apples.

LOL

• There's no advertising as sweet as the publicity you can get for free! The only thing un-hackable here is the religious myth that there's an un-hackable phone out there people are walking around with, entrusting their secrets to some sort of un-bypassable, un-crackable , un-purchasable encryption made by thousands of underpaid Chinese..

When you come to think of it, such a myth has played into the hands of both Apple and the secret services - until now. The secret's out and - likely gets published, I'd expect panicky terrorists, paedophiles and unfaithful spouses to start Googling for ways to perform phone internal storage wipes (LOL - enter the Magnetic Force Microscope and its newer Forensic IT SSD tech). When I worked in prison IT we used to destroy hard drives with a sledgehammer..

• The last time something like this hit the news was in the disappearance of the MH370. The US National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) saw other nations putting massive resources looking in the wrong place - whereas the NRO's satellite had long ago tracked the flight to the Indian Ocean, remember? The NRO were faced with admitting they'd known all along where the plane had headed, all the time, while withholding that info from of all those distraught families of lost passengers and crew. How to tell them you know without revealing a military secret?

Now, imagine what happens if you've hacked a terrorist's phone the same way you've been doing it for some time - but this time the information you reveal and act upon could have only be obtained from the phone? Well, the game's probably up, not only for the secret services but for all of us benefiting from their protection.

Well, they're having a go at convincing us all that this phone crack was a once-off. Hey, iPhone users are a trusting lot, aren't they? :-)

• @matt_gh2 you made my day. They don't go too deep into the iPhone encryption issue but Chomsky made it pretty clear the way things have been going, that private citizens no longer have privacy, while publicly elected officials are merely serving private interests. https://theintercept.com/2016/03/30/edward-snowden-noam-chomsky-glenn-greenwald-a-conversation-on-privacy/

• @MirrorMan Sounds like an accurate assessment to me. Thanks for the link.

• Finally and explanation.

fbi.jpg
    600 x 392 - 46K
  • I say we let them unlock some phones if they promise to lock up Hillary... fair trade??