Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beware of kenrockwell.com
  • Accidently had been pointed to http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/samyang/14mm-f28.htm
    This is worst shit I ever read.
    Article is about one of the sharpest, if not the sharpest 14mm ever made.
    I know that he loves ultrazooms and thinks that you can replace anything with, say, 12x zoom (out of pure economical reasons - ultrazooms are amongs most popular first separate purchase, and he is living from affilate).
    But this...
    He also post reviews of things he never touched actually.

I know one other mazohistic idiot who write how Pentax is producing crap - http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/
  • 24 Replies sorted by
  • indeed, kenrockwell must have been drunk:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/samyang/14mm-f28.htm

"... If you count your pixels, count this lens out. Even Nikon and Canon's most expensive current 14mm lenses are their softest lenses, and this Samyang is even softer.

With these caveats, the 14mm f/2.8 is possibly the softest non-toy lens I've ever tested.

It is very blurry in sides and corners at f/2.8, and improves to merely soft at f/11. ..."

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/532-samyang14f28eosff?start=2

"... Its primary strength is an extremely high resolution across the image frame combined with minimal CAs. There're few if any lenses which can rival the Samyang here which is nothing short of sensational for such an low cost product (again - see the provided sample images if you question our findings). ..."

http://www.lenstip.com/239.4-Lens_review-Samyang_14_mm_f_2.8_ED_AS_IF_UMC_Image_resolution.html

"... Honestly, I’ve never expected I might sing the praises of a low-end lens produced in Korea. As you see, though, an excellent image quality is not just a privilege of expensive devices produced in Japan or Germany. ..."
  • Maybe he reviewed a model that had elements out of place from being dropped?
  • >Maybe he reviewed a model that had elements out of place from being dropped?

Generally, this is why you have your poor little mind given by mother nature.
    Look at your results, look at others results and opinions.
    See huge differencies?
    You fucked up, motherfucker.
  • Really, I don´t know everyone who takes Kenny serious. He is writing his jibbering now for years and will continue with it. Just ignore this dumbass, my impression is sometimes that he is writing his crap with the aim to get attention by hot discussions in the forums.
  • >Just ignore this dumbass, my impression is sometimes that he is writing his crap with the aim to get attention by hot discussions in the forums.

My impression is that he is running financially successfull site. I know only few of personal sites that are really succesfull. So, quite frequently he is forced to publish something just to have affilate links.

One of the articles I like and sometimes reference people to is - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-afford-anything.htm

So, things are not black or white, just use some more bright sides of them :-)

Did you ever notice that? How many really stupid people you run into during the day?
    Goddam there's a lot of stupid bastards walking around.
    Carry a little pad and pencil with you. You'll wind up with thirty or forty names by the end of the day.
    Look at it this way: Think of how stupid the average person is and then realize that half of them are stupider than that.
    And it doesn't take you very long to spot one of them does it? Take you about eight seconds.
    You'll be listening to some guy...you say..."this guy is fucking stupid!"
    Then...then there are some people, their not stupid...their full of shit. Huh?
    That doesn't take very long to spot either, does it? Take you about the same amount of time.
    You'll be listening to some guy..and saying, "well, he's fairly intelligent......ahht, he's full of shit!"
    Then there are some people, their not stupid, their not full of shit...their fucking nuts!
    :-)
  • “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.” (Albert Einstein)

And back to topic: Ken Rockwell's "test review" about Canon FD 50mm f/1.8:

"I haven't even tried this yet, even though I have one for my AV-1. Like most 50mm lenses this is probably one of the sharpest lenses you can get for your Canon. This is probably a great lens that you can get for $10 if you look hard enough."

No comment.... (LOL)

• @tetakpatak

Ken is good as always and his site is still getting more and more visitors.

• I just bought this lens for 300.00 in Korea. I must be getting soft.

• I own this lens, and it is soft....if it's out of focus. Getting it in focus....is rather difficult. It's a bit expensive for a wide angle, but I still like it.
    If I find time a may post a few test photos & video

• I had the 14mm Rokinon Cine and I thought it compared pretty well to the Tokina 11-16. I wasn't sure what the hell he was talking about but returned it since I had a little more room with the Tokina. Focus throw on the Rokinon is awesome though. I might pick the cine up again at some point and it's MUCH easier to attach to a MB with that built in hood.

• @GravitateMediaGroup The Tokina is the same way. Just a tad out and you're screwed but the focus throw on the Tokina is horrible.

• Roger That.

• You've just done a great job of promoting his website (this thread is already appearing in a Google search about K.R.). This sort of controversy is his marketing style....which allows him to enjoy what he does and laugh all the way to the Bank (or is it Paypal)...:-)

• @GH2UW

And it is good, I mean promotion of his website. I like guys who are up to it, I mean running commercially viable website. 99.9% of motherfuckers calling him idiot only dream about it.

• Personally, I enjoy reading his stuff (and also that of the "other guy" over in Europe). Very opinionated...but that's what makes it interesting even if I might not always agree with what he is saying.

I don't understand why there's so much hatred directed at him. A competent reader/photographer should be able to deal with the strong views of a "politically incorrect" blogger and still make up their own mind. Often there's no one "correct" viewpoint anyway about lens performance ...unless it's truly soft and hopeless...then it becomes "artistic" :-)

What really aggravates me are the useless, thin, copy-paste bullshit "reviews" of equipment that more and more clutter up a Google search results these days...

• Funny, I was just scrolling down and past this thread and for a sec, it looked like it said, "Beware of Nickleback" LMAO!

• Now that was below the belt vicharris...haha

• Ken Rockwell? It's 1998 again?

• Well, it is 2019, and almost all who started in same time as Ken are long gone from public view :-)

• Ken Rockwell's site was among the firsts sources of info I used to check when I was learning about digital cameras, coming myself from analog ones, but even in those days it was clear he was biased and, sometimes, a little nonsensical grumpy. Knowing that, he was an appreciate source of info, I am a sentimental ¯_(ツ)_/¯ . His site is like a newspaper: you don't have to believe everything published in it without seeking a second opinion. Saying that, the warning in topic's title is also very useful, especially for people who discover kenrockwell.com in 2019.

• Ken looks and sounds exactly like I imagined him. His website and content pretty much reflect his character, (insert your description here).