Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Critic my one man doc kit.
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • I think you should try for as high a standard as you can. 'A little rough' or 'some flaws' sounds like you can't be bothered learning your craft. It's over used, but the saying 'sound is half the picture' remains true, and I doubt very much that members of the academy are more concerned that the sound is proper 5.1 than the recorded sound being of poor quality

• this guy doesn't use boom mics or lavs or tripods for sit-down interview. just a zoom H4 placed near the speaker. it shows a nice comparison between the recorder and camera mics.

• @babypanda Thanks for the feedback and advice I think discussion of how practically people are crafting their sound and video in real world situations and not 'theory' is an important discussion.

I actually don't like the idea of just using a Zoom actually, I think its tinny sounding and misses the point if just placed near the interviewee with all the background pickup. I mean whats the advantage over either a shotgun on top of the camera or a lav going into either the camera or into a zoom(small recorder) given to the interviewee. One problem is the interview was so noisy you couldn't cut away to much with all that background noise. I think the guy above technique for interviews is awful, the woman is looking off to his assistant, so he has help but actually uses it in the worst possible way. Far better would be to have the camera on either a tripod or a gorilla pod on the table and do the interview himself, less effort, better result IMHO.

Have a look at James Longley Iraq in Fragments. He was a one man shooter with a DVX100 a small shotgun and a wired lav into the camera. If you can wired laws for interviews I think.