Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @AKED If it's Matt Frazer you're in good hands, he knows a ton about the GH cameras and their product placement strategy.

I'd like to know what their plan is with regard to HDR video. It would be great if they had in-camera processing for Log files the same way they do for Raw stills. It would be awesome to be able to copy to Rec 2020, 709 or an HDR10 profile after some tweaking is applied in camera.

• @AKED I'd like to know:

1. what they see as the future of Vlog in the GH line and if it'll come to the G (ex: G6, G7) line of cameras?
    2. if they see a need to improve on the less than 8bit version they released?
    3. How do they see their cameras comparing to the Sony A6300 feature set (high ISO, good Slog, low price, etc.) ?

Thanks!

• @Tron, No it is not Matt Fraser. I interviewed him during the last Photokina. Also, Matt is american and my interview partner will be british. His name is Neil Lloyd-Meek

• @AKED Also interested in CineD available on the new cams G80 etc. And where is the 6K :)

• @AKED Has the sensor supply issues had any meaningful impact on release dates and if so have they been able to include further advancements in the cameras as a consequence of an extended development window?

Will the GH5 rock the new sensor-shift stablization system? Even if they don't know can they give some insight into the GH5 specific challenges associated with its inclusion.

What's the rationale for not increasing the G80's in-camera 1080p quality when they even appear to be addressing it with the FZ2500 (this one is announcement dependent and is based on B&H leak material). Will a GX8 replacement perhaps see an improvement in this regard?

Perhaps it will be covered in the presser but I'm also curious as to the specifics of the "New gyro-sensor technology Dual IS MK II."

• Perhaps it will be covered in the presser but I'm also curious as to the specifics of the "New gyro-sensor technology Dual IS MK II."

They just slightly improved mode were bosh stabilizers work together.

Note - it is marketing manager, quite useless to ask him deep tech questions or any plans questions.

• Cool cheers Vitaliy. That's all Greek to me but I understand 'slightly' :P

• Sorry one more @AKED: Are they excited by recent advancements in on-sensor PDAF such as in the a6300 and how much longer do they intend to hitch their boat to a tech that's being increasingly outpaced? Cheers.

• @AKED

About the G80/85:

-Does it have Cine-D, Cine-V? What about the possibility for V-Log, included or as an upgrade?

-Does it have active HDMI output during recording (like the GX80/85), or does it shut off like the G7?

-How many stops of stabilization does its IBIS give with a non-IS lens? Is there any digital stabilization involved (cropping the image and pan/scan-ing), or is all physical (moving the sensor)? Will there be a firmware update to give Dual-IS compatibility with the new Olympus lenses, in particular the 12-100 f4?

-Speaking of the 12-100 f4, are there any plans to develop a video-oriented lens like this? With real manual focus, constant aperture, IS... possibly a servo zoom?

-Has there been any ISO/noise improvement over the G7 and GX80/85?

-Does it have the improved shutter from the GX80/85?

-Does it have improved rolling shutter performance over the G7 and GX80/85?

About the GH5:

-Will its V-Log be reworked to use the entire bit depth? On the GH4 it only uses about 7 bits (of 8). Even if the GH5 is 10-bit internal, it would be a shame if it only used 9 of those bits.

-If it has IBIS, what will battery life be like vs. the GH4 (assuming they use the same battery and thus can be directly compared)?

-Rolling shutter performance improved over the GH4?

-Is ISO/noise performance improved over the G80/85? Or about the same? Or you won't know until the camera is more finalized?

• From my experiences with interviews, you never get 30 questions answered. I will select the ones I think are most interesting for everybody.

• @aldolega

As far as I remember our experience with such interviews exactly none of questions had been answered, except ones with answers in open marketing materials and some specifications. Most probably they will be vague even with specifications this time.

• Would be nice to get a vague answer for GH5 dynamic range. ;-)

• Would be nice to get a vague answer for GH5 dynamic range. ;-)

I think you will get one today during press event.

At best it can be DR of GH4 + 5-10% (for photos). I mean actual, not marketing numbers. For video due to full readout and not crop it can be better.

• Cool! Gh5 already sounds like a nice camera! :-)

• Is this real? Would be quite the camera. Probably some price hike too.

Bildschirmfoto-2016-09-19-um-13.01.53.png
    700 x 354 - 360K
  • @sohus

It's real. Good to see Panasonic fighting hard to stay in the game.

• Front on from twitter...

Screen shot 2016-09-19 at 8.39.48 PM.png
    731 x 674 - 402K
  • PR

Digital Single Lens Mirrorless Camera [DSLM] LUMIX GH5 Featuring ‘6K PHOTO’

Cologne, Germany (September 19, 2016) – Panasonic today announced that it is in development of a new Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) Camera LUMIX GH5 that is capable of recording smooth, high-precision 4K 60p/50p and faithful 4:2:2 10-bit 4K video for the first time in the world*1. It also features ‘6K PHOTO’ which extracts approx.18-megapixel still images from ultra-high-quality video with approx. 9 times the pixel count of Full-HD. The new LUMIX GH5 is scheduled for commercialization and introduction to the global market in early 2017.

Panasonic has been committed to the development of innovative digital cameras under the theme “Create a New Photo Culture in the Digital Era.” The world’s first Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera LUMIX DMC-G1 was introduced in 2008 and the subsequent DMC-GH1 achieved the world’s first Full HD video recording in 2009.

In 2014, Panasonic introduced the DMC-GH4, which realized 4K 30p/25p video recording for the first time in the industry. At the same time, Panasonic proposed a new and unique method of photography called ‘4K PHOTO’ which allows users to capture fleeting photographic moments that even the eyes cannot catch, by using super-fast 4K resolution video frames at 30 fps that can be saved as high-quality photos. As a result, the DMC-GH4 is highly acclaimed for its exceptional hybrid performance in both photography and videography by a wide range of professional users worldwide – not only photographers but also cinematographers in the film production field, as well as emerging photo/video-hybrid creators.

By advancing Panasonic technologies, such as digital signal processing and heat dissipation, and packing them into the compact, lightweight body of a Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera, the LUMIX GH5 enables 4K 60p/50p and 4:2:2 10-bit 4K video recording*3, which has never before been achieved. With this unprecedented video recording performance, Panasonic aims to further capitalize on the strength that it has achieved in the film production industry.

In the LUMIX GH5, the conventional ‘4K PHOTO’ function is dramatically advanced to form ‘6K PHOTO’ which lets the user cut a still image out of ultra-high-quality approx.18-megapixel video with approx. 9 times the pixel count than Full-HD. Taking advantage of its high-speed, long-time burst shooting capability, spur-of-the-moment shots can be saved in beautiful photos with higher resolution that complies with larger-sized printing by substantially increasing the resolution from 8-megapixel (4K PHOTO) to 18-megapixel (6K PHOTO). Furthermore, 8-megapixel 4K Photo images can be captured at a super-fast 60 fps.

img2184.jpg
    800 x 593 - 21K
  • No mention of IBIS?

4:2:2 10-bit internally is only available in 4K/30p, 25p, 24p, 23.98p video recording.

4:2:2 8-bit internally when you shoot 4K/60p.

• 4:2:2 10-bit is only available in 4K/30p, 25p, 24p, 23.98p video recording, not 4K/60.

As marketer will say - "we reserved feature for cinema oriented video mode to fully unleash the power of GH5".

• @AKED

Please ask him if Engineering has signed off to the GH5 design and the camera has already been committed to production - or not. If not, then some of the tech features like IBIS may or may not be realized in production - mostly depending on implementation complexities and alloted dev time.

For now only one draft camera exist.

Second one is 3d printed and with copy of Sony XLR adapter.

img2202.jpg
    800 x 588 - 55K
    img2201.jpg
    755 x 557 - 42K
    img2203.jpg
    800 x 539 - 51K
    img2204.jpg
    800 x 549 - 48K
  • Nothing of slow motion? :(