Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM VS Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS USM
  • I have a Hacked GH2+ Metabones Speedbooster. I am planning to go for Used Canon 70-200 f4 lens. I have 2 offers for sale for the IS USM and the non IS version of the lens. Except the IS bit, what are the other differences between these two lenses? (Construction, Element quality, Element coating quality etc.) I think i can still live without an IS as i use my GH2 for videos and it will be strapped on a tripod.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • I doubt you will see any iq difference between the two

• If your speed booster is electronic one - get IS.

If it is dumb one - either is useless, get 80-200mm FD L lens instead.

• @vitaliy I have the Electronic one (Metabones SB)

Could you please elaborate on why you feel the IS is the way to go? Is it just the IS or the lens quality, look etc. is better too in the IS version as compared to Non IS?

I do not want to buy the IS if the output is the same. IS on a tripod ( i do video) would not make sense and might give out feedback loop.

• Are you absolutely sure that it will be on good stable tripod always?

If answer is yes - get unstabilized lens and live happily. They do not differ in IQ.

• @vitaliy Yes, I rarely do any photography and i dont intend on doing any run and gun style video work with a tele lens on ;) Thanks for the reply.