Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Converting BMPC 4K RAW to 1080p RAW
  • Hi everyone! I've just finished shooting my student project on BMPC. Camera is not mine so when we started shooting I realized that it wasn't updated so we didn't have any lossless compressed RAW formats. It all ended up in having enormous file sizes. Sandisk extreme 240 GB ssd was filled up in just 12 min. The are some workflow tutorials like converting everything to proxies, then editing, then going back to raw for grading but I couldn't find anything about resizing cinemaDNG sequences. The only program I found is SLIMRAW which can compress DNG files like the latest BMPC firmware does. But I like the idea of converting my 4k RAW data to 1080p RAW cause 4k is too heavy at the moment. Do you guys have some suggestions?

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • You can't scale a raw image. It needs to be debayered before scaling. Well, theoretically you could downscale scale a raw image, but you wouldn't want to. It would reduce the quality significantly.

• You could go to 1080p .dpx sequence - that would be high quality.

• had this page bookmarked - a pretty good discussion about it http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-322001.html

• @robertGL

About what? As PV has same topic, btw.

• You may want to see if Prores or DNxHD still have enough bit depth for your use case. If so, you'd save a lot of space converting to them at 1080p vs trying to convert raw formats (which as balazer pointed out isn't technically possible).

• Good idea can be to just ask SLIMRAW author to make 2x downsize option.

• Thanks 2 all for the info! Before trying to transcode to prores/dnx to make it simple I've decided to try Cineform RAW because it promises some visually lossless compression and pretty good space savings. I've downloaded Gopro studio premium but it recognizes the footage as 1080p@30fps instead of 4k@25fps and crashes after i hit convert) So instead of bying full version for 299 its better to buy slimraw+fast 500gb ssd))) The moral of the story is DO SOME TESTING PRIOR TO SHOOTING)

• I remember reading about that in the past - downconvert to cineform 1080p RGB 4:4:4

EDIT - Didn't read your whole post so I guess it's not importing correctly and it's a bust

• Lol Im so lucky, just when I started considering cineform raw they decided to abandon their stuff: GoPro has ended development of GoPro Studio Premium and Professional. Beginning June 1, 2015, these titles will no longer be available for sale on CineForm.com.

• I might be wrong about this but I think you can use cineform codec as a plugin and export from something like resolve to handle the transcode.

• Drag the sequences to Adobe Media Encoder and convert to 12-bit or 10-bit cineform files. Best solution I've found.