Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Tascam DR-70D, more and better
  • 156 Replies sorted by
  • @smoke23

Changed link, check now, it is their email only offer.

• Inside look

Linear input results

Noise

Dynamic range

http://prosound.ixbt.com/interfaces/tascam-dr70d.shtml

sample698.jpg
    800 x 536 - 118K
    sample696.jpg
    619 x 508 - 63K
    sample697.jpg
    616 x 490 - 64K
  • Have just bought a slightly used one from the eBay and done a quick test run. For me it will be mainly as an XLR mic interface to my GH4 (as opposed to a recorder), it way exceeds my expectations, especially after reading so much negative reviews/comments.

Seems to me that Tascam has done everything just right: Low price; a stand-alone recorder but also has an adjustable-level output for a camera (adjustable from line level all the way down to < -100dBv); nice form factor to use with a camera; very decent audio quality; low EIN level; dual batter sets plus a USB that serves as a DC power input; an no power supply included - I have so many "fast charging USB" power supplies at home I do not want another one.

Up to now I mainly use a Marantz PMD-661 as a separate audio recorder. The Tascam beats it in a number of ways: Tripod mounting, adjustable-level output to feed directly into my GH4, USB DC in, and 4 XLR inputs. Like the Marantz, I will use only external battery pack for the Tascam.

To me this Tascam is really a no-brainer: It is way more useful AND cheaper than Zoom recorders, Beach Tech products, and Linked Juice products

• I wouldn't say they did everything right, but it's still a good deal. The fact that there is no backup battery for the clock and your settings is totally ridiculous. Fortunately, most of the bugs have a workaround.

• Hi, had one 60D mkII, sold it and bought one 70D, after reading many favorable comments on Internet. Now, I really can say what is true: 70D is a very poor item comparable to 60D in resources. So many features were removed from system:

1. stand-by recording mode, allowing: automatic stard recording or stop by sound level; pre-record sinal (it records 2s of signals before you had pressed REC key -you would never lost some part of interview or concert; self timer: an interval of time to start recording (you can press REC and run to your position); 
    2. also the controls of MID-SIDE and stereo recording, like : man, they cut everything. You got absolute none control on recording!
    3. in playing mode: the editing of a file: split, level align, equalizer; this for not mentioning the terrible menu arrangement!!!! You will have to access nothing less than all menus to adjust the 70D to confirm you're ready to record!
    4. the physical controls for Phantom and output level for SEPARETED output connectors were replaced for two, three confusing menus.
    5. What a disgusting decision! Because two more XLR inputs and an inclined display;
    6. in vides on YouTube, someone criticises how it grips better to SLR than the 60D. Both units use the same attaching process. So, it really doesn't make sense to criticise none of them;
  • @arturmariojr

Big thanks for feedback, very useful.