Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Wireless SSD for travelling
  • Dunno if this is the right place for this thread - sorry if it's not!

Our team is developing a external wireless solid state disk that can be used to backup SD/CF card, view and share the photos via iPad, especially quick preview and manage the large RAW files. So the photographer does not need have to bring a heavy laptop while traveling.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mportable-portable-wireless-ssd-for-photographers

How do you think of such a device? Do you think if it is useful? Genuinely looking for feedback from the photography community, looking to discuss the project, get some ideas before we finial release it.

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • What is the point of SSD? As speed will be same as HDD :-)

Also all the devices now can process raw.

1. An SSD has no moving parts, so it is more likely to keep your data safe in the event that you drop your device or your system is shaken while it's operating.

2. Power saving. SSD uses less power while saving the data.

3. SSD is lighter than hard disk. It is easier to bring it in the bag.

4. When you're back home, use SSD to copy the data to PC is much faster.

5. The price of SSD is much lower than before.

• Yep, just it still costs much more :-) And for us, video guys here HDD make more sense.

Can you show actual Wi-Fi transfer speeds benchmarks for your device? As most of such things have absolutely horrible performance.

• And there are few storage device can process RAW as I know. Our device can process the RAW files and output the preview images which size are 2048*1536 pixels.

• After processing the RAW files, the wifi speed is not a bottleneck anymore. The file size of preview image is about 1M, which makes it only use 1s to show on iPad via WiFi.

• After processing the RAW files, the wifi speed is not a bottleneck anymore. The file size of preview image is about 1M, which makes it only use 1s to show on iPad via WiFi.

As I understand iPad can do it all by itself. I am not even speaking about Windows tablets or Notes.

And contrary to your thing it will support new cameras coming with 100% probability.

So, what is the actual transfer speed?

• It looks like the previews are favoring still images. Will you be supporting a preview of cDNG (or ML raw) to a mobile device? That'd actually be somewhat worthwhile/useful since ML raw playback in-camera sucks and Black Magic's is not yet full-featured (no deletion in-camera, for instance). Otherwise, processing raw stills to jpeg and syncing to a tablet via wifi is not especially compelling. Some cameras can already do that internally and it's becoming the rule rather than the exception.

• As I understand iPad can do it all by itself. I am not even speaking about Windows tablets or Notes.

And contrary to your thing it will support new cameras coming with 100% probability.

You won't view the photos until you transfer the raw file to the iPad. A 20M raw file will take 20s to transfer. So if you want to view a RAW file on iPad, you may wait 20s. If you want to check all your works, it may take a long time.

But if you process the image before the transfer, it will only take 1s to show the photo on the iPad.

So, what is the actual transfer speed?

The transfer speed is about 1-2M/s, as same as other wifi devices. The wifi speed is enough for quick preview your works smoothly.

• The transfer speed is about 1-2M/s, as same as other wifi devices. The wifi speed is enough for quick preview your works smoothly.

I am not so sure about "as same as other wifi devices". As any computer/good tablet with MIMO have much higher speeds.

What CPU is used inside?

• I am not so sure about "as same as other wifi devices". As any computer/good tablet with MIMO have much higher speeds.

It depends the transfer environment. It should be as same as a computer because we use the same wifi chip which supports 802.11n.

What CPU is used inside?

Dual Arm Cortex-A7

• It looks like the previews are favoring still images. Will you be supporting a preview of cDNG (or ML raw) to a mobile device?

Sorry, cDNG is not supported. We'll consider adding this feature to the next release.