Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Deinterlacing 50i in FCP
  • Inside FCP, I get field dominance as Upper Field. However, when I try to deinterlace it using Compressor or other FCP plugins, I am still left with interlaced artifacts.
    So what is the workflow that people use to deinterlace this footage ?
  • 11 Replies sorted by
  • You can not deinterlace it without degrading quality.
    1) You can take one field from each frame and make it a frame - 1/2 loss in resolution
    2) You can interpolate both fields - sharpness equal to 1/2 loss in resolution
    3) "Clever" way of deinterlacing - only those areas which has motion - look for fcp plugins, this method produces the best results, but often needs retouching.
  • IMHO, the best plug-in is RS Fields Kit from revisionfx.com, but the best de-interlacers still come in expensive hardware.
  • Guys. I dont need an explanation of how deinterlacing is done. I am aware of the resolution issues.
    I am simply asking if anyone has manage to deinterlace GH2 footage in FCP. If so, what settings did you use in the field dominance ? Also, did you manage to remove all the interlace artifacts in the footage (to indicate that you deinterlaced properly) ?
  • I would first convert to prores and then deinterlace. Please post here what do you call "interlace artifacts".
  • I faced the same problem, and tried various methods, including different codecs.
    If you are shooting in 1080i, I suggest to leave it as interlaced. FCP will detect the fields automatically, and optimise the playback. I found that rendering everything as interlaced yields the best results: I dun see artifacts, yet the final images, even in ProRes HQ, have an acceptable level of softness, unlike most interlaced video which is stark sharp.
  • I will take a snapshot of the interfacts within FCP.
    Interesting - When the field dominance is changed to none, the artifacts go away. However, when I render with Compressor and upload to youtube, the file is rejected.
  • So, did you shoot interlaced or not?
    FCP always mistakes 1080 for interlaced, if it's progressive, just tell it so by switching to "None".
  • i shoot interlaced, and finish in interlaced. Will be posting a clip on vimeo for reference.
  • @nomad I shot 50i on the GH2. Interlaced. For some reason, FCP displays better when its set to Field Dominance "None".
    If I leave the Field Dominance with default values - Upper field first. There are interlaced artifacts even after deinterlacing. Very strange. Let me fix up my comp so I can post grabs.
  • @zcream Have you tried the GOP1 INTRA 1080i yet? I would be interested in seeing how that compares in post.
  • Hi,
    this is the clip i mentioned that I would put up as reference.

Shot and finished in 1080i. Here's the link: