Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Apple Axes Aperture! Final Cut Pro X next?
  • This is very disconserting news. I was an Aperture user since it is was first released, however I soon realized that Apple was falling way behind Lightroom in terms of features and updates. I switched to Lightroom about 2 years ago and I am so happy that I did so. Let me tell you it was a pain to switch over because of the way Aperture was designed really proprietary.

I switched to Apple because I was asked to join a media company and they all used Mac's. So at that time I asked the guy well what is so special about Apple computers because I wasn't impressed. He said watch this he opened up a whole bunch of large photoshop files, video files etc etc and the computer did not crash. I was sold and 2 weeks later purchased my first Mac Pro.

That was then and this is now. Since that time slowly but surely Apple seems to be abandoning the professional market, they are more concerned about selling iPhones/Ipads then catering to the professional community. This makes a lot of sense from a business perspective, but they are also alienating themselves at the same time from the professional community.

I have Final Cut Pro X and Adobe CC on my computer. I prefer Final Cut Pro X because it is faster for me to edit with then Adobe Premiere Pro. However in light of recent events I feel that I should just stop using Final Cut Pro X and switch over to Adobe Premiere Pro. I have a feeling that Apple will do the same exact thing to Aperture cut it and leave everybody high and dry. I won't even get into the changes from Final Cut Pro to Final Cut Pro X lets just say that I wasn't happy about it.

Then the Icing on the cake is the new trash can Mac Pro with the what you see is what you get mindset from Apple, because don't forget Apple knows whats best for you whether you know it or not. LOL... Ok so I am going to spend at minimum $3000 + for the trash can computer but yet the graphics card is not upgradable? I don't think so! I don't mind spending $3000.00 on a Retina MacBook Pro and realize that what you see is what you get but not a desktop workstation.

Note: I really don't want to switch back to PC's I purchased Apple computers for my whole family along with iPhones/iPads, Apple TV's, Airport Extremes the whole bit so we are all in with the Apple ecosystem. However the righting is on the wall so I might as well jump ship before it sinks rather then get caught with my pants down.

Let the flames begin ;-)

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • „No” to your post title.

And the new Photos app will work differently, but will use your exisiting Aperture Libraries, will have in depth editing options – or just simple ones, if that's what you want – and will have plug in support.

So let's just wait. It will be free anyways. And, btw.: think about what people said about the new FCPX when it came out. Get ready for same hysteria. :D

• Here's a screenshot of the new Photos app. See anything familiar from Aperture? Like ... everything? :D

newphotos.jpg
    1834 x 1031 - 494K
  • Aperture VS Lightroom

IMO Lightroom smokes Aperture. In the beginning it was the other way around not so anymore. Color Checker Passport, Ononesoftware, integration etc etc. No competition.

• Sad thing is that usability is so much better in Aperture. But I do think that the Photos app will be a true successor to Aperture. More than we know now.

• @Azo How do you know that you can't replace GPU in new Mac Pro? In fact, you can. The question is if there will be replacements available. And: why would you? How is the Mac Pro expensive when you get dual d700. That will give you at least 3 years+ of great performance and I guess 3 more years of decent performance. It is fast in 4K NOW and that won't change in the near future. So what is the problem? So you will have to spend 4000 in 3-4 years for a new top of the line computer? How is that expensive if that is the device you earn your money with? :D

• @electonic

I don't think that the Mac Pro is expensive quite the contrary actually. I think it is a good deal considering what you get. Everything you say I agree with with the exception of the graphics card. I already know that technically you can change the graphics card but the question is will they have replacements?

So in a year or two when AMD or Nvidia comes out with a better graphics card you will not be able to upgrade? Who knows? but my issue is the proprietary design of the graphics card itself. If they just used the standard that everybody else uses this would not be an issue and I would buy it.

In terms of pricing you are preaching to the choir. I feel that Apple computers are a good value but as I said call a spade a spade. The reality is such that the demographic is so small for these types of computers that Apple really doesn't care. This is obvious to me based on the actions of Apple.

• What will the GPU upgrade give you that is so important? 10% increase in render time? 15%? Then wait another generation and get an new Mac. My 12 core cost me more than 7000 $ and the 4000$ new Mac Pro is faster in the real world. Next generation will propably have a 3500 $ model that is way fast. Then I will upgrade. See where this is going? ;)

• My studio recently invested in upgrading all of our machines to the new trashcans and in terms of performance they are just that, "trashcans.". I primarily use After Effects , Premiere, and Cinema 4D and have noticed no performance increase. And due to Adobe's lack of AMD support, its been really been a performance DECREASE. I have been a longtime Apple ecosystem guy as well, and based on my recent experience, I agree that Apple has totally abandoned the pro community. Its pretty disappointing considering how excited we all were for the new Mac Pros. Its been a headache!