Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Varavon slider/motorroid damage
  • I've been using the Varavon Slider 'S' 2000cm slider with the Motorroid motor for some while now with excellent results. The two motorroid parts - one end is a couple of belt guides, and at the other is the 12v motor - are fixed to the slider ends with single 3/8'' tripod screws. Sadly, the end where the motor attaches took a bang on my last shoot, and the tripod screw was ripped out of the slider, stripping the threads, and meaning that I now can't attach the motor as the tripod screw has only damaged threads to screw into, and can't get a purchase.

I'm going to contact the manufacturer in hope of a replacement part - the threaded hole is part of a small separate section that attaches to the end of the slider, and is also where the slider feet attach. If Varavon can't help me though, I have to look at alternative options. If a long shank 3/8'' screw was available, that might do the trick, as the original didn't penetrate that far into the hole, and I'm pretty sure that below the original tripod screw depth, the threads should still be pretty good. Can't seem to find any in the UK though. As an alternative, any suggestions as how to repair the damaged thread hole on the slider? I know there are things like Helicoids which strengthen threaded holes but haven't tried to fit anything like that before (as you can probably tell, I don't have a workshop or that many tools). Any and all suggestions very welcome, and thanks in advance.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Best idea is to make photos/video.

• @mrbill If you can't get a replacement, just install a helicoil and it;ll be good as new

• If you can drill through to the other side, you could install a t-nut from the back.

• Many mic mounts use a 5/8ths hole. You can find adapters from ⅝ to ⅜-16. At least I have a mic mount that came with one. You could then drill and tap the hole to ⅝ (i don't know the thread count) and install such an adapter. Basically the same as installing a helical. These sizes are easily sourced in the USA and UK.

• Looks like the excellent customer support from Varavon may be coming to my rescue...

• This is the part that needs replacing. Waiting to hear back..

photo (1).JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 727K
  • Got my spare from Varavon today - really outstanding customer support.