Personal View site logo
AN "Valkyrie", GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, natural, Freeze-less Reliable All-round GOP3 Settings :-)
  • 1001 Replies sorted by
  • i did put your i and p frame scaling table from rc1.1 in my 2gop 720p setting
    it did the trick for a good streamparser result.
    The colors can be pushed very hard....
    Screenshot was done in cinema all -2, iso 320 and a ss around the 1/2500

Image12.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • This is a political ad I'm working on using 1.3. Canon 50 1.4, 24p, Very stable and takes grading well. Standard -2

• @mozes You are always doing the interesting trial! :-)

@peternap Thanks for wonderful footage! This is a work in which finer noise grain is harnessed. :-)

• @towi

I compared "4, 4, 4, 4, x, x" with "3, 3, 3, 3, x, x" in PAL. Do you think that which is better?

• @shirap Thanks always mate! I also looked at your blog. Research of grading is interesting. I love your works. :-)

• @bkmcwd

"I compared "4, 4, 4, 4, x, x" with "3, 3, 3, 3, x, x" in PAL. Do you think that which is better?"

shooting a codec stress chart with a sharp lens GOP table 3,3,3,3,14,14 goes in and out fallback mode (stream graph shows an uneven cadence). with 4,4,4,4,13,13 the cadence is pretty even.

I feel image quality is the same (both on static scenes as well as with motion). So I think 4,4,4,4,13,13 is more stable without compromising quality.

• @towi Thanks mate! I got it. I refer to the information from you. :-)

• While waiting for the feedback from people, I am tweaking GOLGOP3-13 now. :-)

• @bkmcwd

ver 1.3 I wanted to test the low light colors and response so I went to bike tonight. These haven't been adjusted or graded. 24P, Canon 50mm 1.4 lens, standard -2

I'm really starting to like this setting.

To finish up the night I got word one of the local police departments was going to try to arrest a fugitive. They didn't catch him but this was the ultimate in poor lighting and the very fine grain held up beautifully.

• @peternap Thanks for uploading sample footages. They look very good and bikes so coooool!!! :-) Many thanks for hearing your comment again.

• I also tested 1.3 last night for low light in reasonably lit (huge) junction/roundabout. I repeated the same camera move going through all (most) ISOs from 500 to 12800. This was with a Nikon 50mm/f1.8 shutter 1/50.

The shot had it all in one camera move, from pitch dark to blown-out highlights. Predictably the sweet spot (usable without noise reduction) was ISO800; ISO1000 was also pretty good. At ISO1600, posterization on red highlights on black background started to become an issue, and also noise became bothersome. I took the time to apply Neat Video on all clips from ISO800 to ISO12800. Of course at higher ISOs the highlights were massively blown out so the shots weren't usable, but I was curious to see detail in ambient light against dark skies.

Amazingly, with noise reduction up to and including ISO8000!!!, shots are recoverable and usable (Neat Video has luma/chroma sharpening). ISO12800 wasn't usable because of artifacts introduced by NV in the now light-gray sky. I find all this beyond amazing, and wish this was available/used it a month back when I shot my short with Flowmotion, not knowing any better. I'm in Europe so the fact that it's stable in HBR makes it double-great.

• @radikalfilm Good to hear someone else with good low light results. One thing I've noticed was the outstanding color reproduction. Green is green, blue is blue, red is red. I've found this in both low light, staged light (correct temperature) and daylight. What's your opinion?

720 is getting a thorough workout this weekend.

• @radikalfilm

"I find all this beyond amazing, and wish this was available/used it a month back when I shot my short with Flowmotion, not knowing any better. I'm in Europe so the fact that it's stable in HBR makes it double-great."

So far I've only tested ISO400 (my preferred ISO as it shows the least banding in conjunction with film style "smooth"). In HBR (25p) mode Valkyrie and GOLGOP13-A (Beta 4b) look so much better than FloMo2 with regard to macro blocking and noise in shadows. Wait for bkmcwd's next release of GOLGOP13-A... it will be even more stable than Beta 4b ... and the noise looks even somewhat better than in Valkyrie (at least at HBR/25p). I'll do some low light tests soon (with both Valkyrie and GOLGOP13-A) and will report back.

• @peternap: I'm very green with Valkyrie and only did the night tests, in preparation for a pick-up shot for my short. Yes, the night colors are what they should be (relative to the chosen white point - I shot 2500K by choice so I'd get as much of a blue cast as possible). I'm sure day colors are at least as good.

• @radikalfilm

Thanks for testing my setting! :-) I am sorry that my explanation is insufficient since I am poor at English. However, since favorite people explain my settings instead of me, it is supplemented.

• @towi

Many thanks for explanation instead of me! :-) I will release new GOLGOP3-13 soon.

• Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 C1.3 sample
    pana 12-35mm F2.8
    CONTAX Planar 50mm F1.7
    NOS 0,0,0,0 AWB B+5
    no color grading

• @Mrhechang - I like it! Music, style, the whole package :-) The look is just what I want for 'street shots'.

Showing it with no color grading is most helpful to me as I'm no pro cinematographer by a long shot and like to use what I shoot - at least for now. The use of Nostalgic puzzled me at first. While providing the illusion of improved low light exposure it comes with a cost - shadow noise and color tint. I gotta say it worked here for sure.

Could you give more detail about white balance settings? When you say "WB+5" is that "AWB" 5 'clicks' toward the blue? If not are you using a preset with correction or "K" setting? Thanks mate :-)

• @Bonzai "AWB" 5 'clicks' toward the blue?
    Yes! That's right.Sorry,I forgot to write"B".

• @Mrhechang Many thanks for wonderful sample footage, mate! :-) You made me think that I would also like to go to Yotsuya.

• @ GOLGOP3-13 lovers :-)

"GOLGOP3-13-A_Candidate 1" and "GOLGOP3-13-MAX_Candidate 1"

I release the each first candidates for "GOLGOP3-13-A" and "GOLGOP3-13-MAX" settings.

I think that 1080i and HBR especially in PAL of these settings are improved rather than Previous BETA versions.

Although I am preparing other candidates, if they are not satisfactory, I will make these C1s the official settings.

Please try them! And many thanks for your feedbacks!

Special thanks to @towi! :-)

*Of course, already combined with excellent audio tune @thepalalias's "Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2"

NOTE:

*Although bit rate setups are quite high, the bit rate which actually appears are lower than these. Since the actual bit rate changes by the object to shoot, please confirm by yourself.(Max bitrate : about 100M in 24p, about 75M in HBR.)

*These two settings are completely the same except 24p.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with mega size I-frames in GOLGOP3-13-A.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with super mega size I-frames in GOLGOP3-13-MAX.

*24p80%(30p) is available in 24H & 24L both.

*60i, 50i, HBR30p and HBR25p are also high quality and stable 3GOP settings.

*720/50p and 720/60p are 6GOP and 9GOP. It has tuned up so that the bit rate at the time of motion may go up rather than the time of statics.

*I especially recommend you use with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC card.

*In camera playback is available in all rec mode except 24p in GOLGOP3-13-MAX, at least available after reboot the camera.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*EX Tele, iA mode work.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*Spanning in 24H, 24L with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card. In other rec mode, need test.

*Spanning in other cards needs to be tested.

bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-A_Candidate 1.zip
    bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-MAX_Candidate 1.zip
    GOLGOP3-13-MAX_C1_24p_12mm_ISO800_Nos_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 634 - 513K
    GOLGOP3-13-MAX_C1_HBR30p_12mm_ISO800_Nos_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 632 - 524K
    GOLGOP3-13-MAX_C1_24p_35mm_ISO400_night_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 633 - 527K
    GOLGOP3-13-MAX_C1_HBR30p_35mm_ISO400_night_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 632 - 531K
  • @bkmcwd: thanks for the new golgop. Apart of the file size, how would you characterize the biggest visual differences between golgop and valkyrie? Thank you!

• @Mirrorkisser IMO, top priority is given to gradation in Valkyrie. In GOLGOP3-13, I took the balance of gradation and resolving into consideration. Although I am not sure whether it has done just like that... :-)

• While waiting for the feedbacks from people, I am tweaking GOP3ZILLA now. :-)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters