Personal View site logo
Official Nikon D600 and D610 topic
  • 238 Replies sorted by
  • @last_SHIFT

Yes, hopefully in a few hours a more final and complete spec sheet will tell us a lot more about the D600.

• Announcment happened. First post will be updated from time to time.

http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/0913_dslr_01.htm

• At first it looks like A99 (I am almost sure that LSI, and not only sensor, are the same). Yust much less suitable for video shooting due to no EVF.

• Basically its a full frame d7000 with a DX mode with a 60p frame rate in 720p.

According to Digital Photography review, the DX crop mode is 10.5MP.

• @bleach551

Nope, it have some of common firmware, but from hardware side it looks like Sony camera.

• @Vitaliy,

I was looking at the D600 in relation to the Nikon D7000 that I have now and want to replace. I know that there are many more features and technology improvements that the D600 has over my D7000.

However, when looking over every feature mentioned in the brochure and other literature you and others have linked to, Those features I listed previously were the only major things I saw to make me consider this camera over my D7000. They were not enough to make me buy it and sell my d7000.

I am pretty sure the GH3 will.

I originally started this thread because I thought a full frame DSLR for video would be great, until I used my friend's Canon 5DmkII. I wasn't really looking at the image quality of the 5DmkII as much but the depth of field. I thought It was too shallow until about f5.6/8. It looked great!! for stills, for video at night not so much.

• Still no real-time histogram in Live View mode? I have a Nikon D5100, and though it produces gorgeous still photos, the lack of a histogram display forces me to rely on the camera's light meter to set exposure. That in turn makes auto-ISO Aperture Priority mode the most practical way to shoot stills, with the camera setting exposure by adjusting ISO as needed. For the shutter, I preset minimum and maximum speeds, which the camera respects so long as it can set exposure correctly within the selected shutter speed range.

Without a histogram to track exposure levels, it's hit-or-miss using the D5100 in Live View manual-exposure mode, and unless there's something I missed, the D600 will share that limitation. Although I've found the D5100's semi-manual Aperture Priority mode to be quite adaptable to shooting video, I expect D600 users who are accustomed to setting exposure manually will dislike relying on Nikon's auto-ISO features in video mode.

• @LPowell That's a valid concern. Easy to forget when we're used to GH cameras. I really think Nikon must adress this. At least D600 have the clean HDMI, so proper exposure is easier with a external monitor/evf tools.

What I'm most interested in at this point is the actual IQ performance of this camera, especially at higher ISO levels. I'm curious to see how it compares to the Sony A99.

• That's nice. I wonder if the aliasing problems are the same as in the D800? I think I saw some in the truck in the shot where they're in front of the bonfire, but maybe it's the old pranky YouTube showing me what isn't there.

• uncompressed video capture via hdmi is good news, but i still can't find any details about the encoding rate to internal memory cards, something nikon never seems to brag about, for sure...

• The youtube video is very nice, except that with the youtube compression you cannot know at least about sharpness and detail. Because in terms of dynamic range it seems very very good. Sad that Nikon does not give us some log profile and 10 bit, because the footage are very cinematic.

• D600: Chasing the Light is post on vimeo but it doesn't allow to be embedded ...

• vimeo.com/49395253

• 720p only but so much better than the YouTube one.

• My interest is in how the HDMI to external recorder video looks. These videos I would guess are in camera and they look pretty good, but i'd be curious about just how far the image could be pushed with a less compressed image capture. The D800 stuff i've seen recorded to Atomos Ninja looked great IMO.

The D600 could be a runaway hit with this kind of color and DR. Even with the lower Bit Rate and Vimeo Compression this stuff still looks impressive. Curious about the low light and also how it will handle architectural scenes. They need more cityscape scenes to show how it handles Moire and Aliasing.

• "At Full HD, you can choose from frame rates of 30, 25, or 24 fps. For 720p, meanwhile, rates of 60, 50, 30, or 25 fps are on offer. Bit rate choices are 24Mbps, or 12 Mbps, and you can shoot in FX- or DX-format at either resolution."

• Here's a link to Nikon's "Digitutor D600"

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d600/index.html

One of the tutorials advises you to select your aperture before switching to Live View, which strongly suggests that the D600 shares the D7000's Live View aperture restrictions. And there was no mention of a live histogram in Live View mode.

So far, the D600 looks pretty much like a full-frame version of the D7000. For my purposes, that's not a compelling enough reason to upgrade.

• @LPowell

Yep, we had this link in top post.

Want full frame, get VG900, said multiple times.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

It does look like a good stills camera though. Video is not the best but usable.

• Until now, I would give Nikon the price for best promotional video. For now until further test I would not put the d600 out of the competition, as one of the best contender in the latest camera announcement. Even more so if you want the full frame look.

One thing that Nikon is not shy to give us is DR. Until now I have been underwhelmed by the Sony cameras DR. Someone said, pair a d600 with an Atomos Ninja and you get 8 bit 422 recording in prores with peaking/exposure/false color etc. for less than the Sony VG900. And I guess it is far from being a bad idea.

• @LPowell Thanks for pointing out that Live View issue.

If I need to exit Live View every time I need to change aperture, I'm out of words.. That's a huge bummer, and might stop me from concidering this camera!! This functions like a "purely designed tech" reminder all the time. - In adition to "not able to change mic gain during recording".. Is this how Nikon plans to conquer full frame video enthusiasts / film makers??

Is there some way of giving feedback to Nikon? I really hope this is possible to address in firmware?

• For some odd reason Nikon has issues with metering in live view. For example, the D800 does have a histogram in LV video mode, but exposure meter bars are only available in LV stills mode. Not that I heavily rely on exposure bars in video but why would it be unavailable for video?