Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood mentioned that we should stick with ss multiple of frame rate... what ss should we use in VMM 80% (it uses 24H settings in 30p)?

• Sorry to ask this. I tried searching the net about gop and only got republican and democrat crap. Then I tried spelling out GOP and got info on how to hang pictures on a wall!! What is the visual difference between say a 6 GOP and 12-15 GOP....all other settings being equal??

Thanks Mark

• Rough and Ready test of Crossfire Green Screen Matrix. All done in AVID with the 1 click spectra matte .. added a touch of blue and a lens blur to the background still, which I rendered a year ago from DAZ Studio 3.

It's a 50mm/1.4 Rokkor @f5.6 with a Kowa 16h.

Not sure what my test aim was, it produced an easy key.

It's been taken in at DNxHD 175Mbits, this is rendered from the 36Mbit proxy

• Not sure where to put this, so hopefully it's OK here. This was my first day testing Sedna AQ20 Skin tone. No grading yet, but I will likely do a bit later along with some audio fixin. Shot with Canon 35mm F2 Concave FD (great lens). 1080 24p, ISO was low, and the film speed was either 50 or 100. The room has a bit of yellow tint, and the lens does too from the thorium. I had to pin myself in the corner of the room to get the shots I got, but all and all I am happy. Really like the look with this patch and lens. Password is Caliente

• @marks GOP = Group of Pictures.

A Long Gop is typically made up of i, p and b frames. ibbpbbpbbpbb... repeating = 12 GOP (Classic long GoP PAL, As found in the setting Cluster v6 12/15 GOP) ibbpbbpbbpbbpbb... repeating = 15 GOP (Classic Long GoP NTSC, As in the setting Cluster v6 12/15 GOP)

A typical short GOP could be 3 GOP made up of just intra frames and b or p frames. As in ibb...ibb...repeating - as found in bkmwcd or lpowell settings...

Intra only settings such as Sedna, Canis Majoris, Quantum 9B etc... are a single frame GOP made up of all i frames - as in iiiiiiiiii... etc

Any GOP will always start with an i frame as reference.

If you need to read up on GOPs wiki will give you a good starting point;-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_pictures

Visually, its down to how the GOP is broken down into macroblocks, transformed, weighted, quantised & restructured - rate control /bitrate /GOP / buffers etc... that decides the quality. Long GOP can look equally as good as short GOP. Motion - each side have their arguments. Long GOP is more effecient than short GOP (less bitrate is consumed because of prediction). Shorter GOP consumes much more bitrate for arguably better quality.

Each have their merits - but whatever the GoP - YOU decide what you like using YOUR eyes.

• 'Final Cut Pro 7 User Manual' has a nice basic/quick explanation for Video Compression, GOP and a few other items. Hopefully, it will be of some help ...it helped me. Just keep scrolling down ...lot to read.

Here's the link: http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=C%26section=12%26tasks=true

• cluster6 gop6 24p

• @driftwood , is there possibility to change the matrix of Cluster v6 GOP6 from Nebula to Sedna if, than how ? I like the GOP6 for great average bit rate but some how the skin tones on Sedna looks better ... Using Standard Film Settings -2,-2,0,-2 ...

• @Butt , great video, what was film mode settings ? Also the lens ? Great skin tones, any color grading ?

• @FEHA - thank you!

Natural, all -2, no Color Grading (out of Cam) Lens: Pana 14-42mm, ND4 Pana 45-200mm, no ND

• A lot of great settings here! Thanks for all your effort (donation has been done as well)!

Is it possible to create our own Crossfire-like settings? Am I thinking too simple when I say, that one only has to copy/paste the text lines from each ini-file? For example, I would like to have a Cluster v6 Nebular with an Intra-setting on 24p like Canis. Could I then only take all the lines handling 1080p24 from the Canis-file and copy them over? Unfortunately I have seen a line saying "1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=". So 24p and HBR must always have the same GOP or can it be separated?

Thanks!

• Tested Nick's Cluster V6 DREWnet GOP 15 Lens: Nikon Nikkor Ai 55mm, f1.2

• @Butt , amazing quality, great lens, was this also film mode natural ?

• Terrific @Butt - thanks for sharing :-)

• @justfake2001 Yep, Unfortunately for us all 24p shares 1080i50/HBR so it means they have to be the same GOP. If youre in NTSC land youre more fortunate as 1080i60 of course is separate. But it does mean you could build a Crossfire with one of the many Intra settings on 24p/50i and have Cluster style 1080i60/HBR30p and 720p50 and 60 patches combined.

• @Butt - why does it say Stalin as GH2 hack?

• CrossfireV3 is incredible good at high iso 5000-10000 if working with 1080 50i and de-interlace (GrassValley De-interlacer). At lower than iso 5000 it is more then incredible. I'm living in PAL land and all corporate productions are usually full of motion (dolly, jib-arm, steady, crane, heli...) so motion resolution comes first. Second all productions must be compatible to broadcast.

We would like to work with 720 50p but than no large preview monitor can be connected.

So our tip if you need broadcast compatibility and highest motion resolution:

CrossfireV3 with 1080-50i Sandisk 64GB 95mb

THX Vitaliy and Nick

• Did a second test run. This time with Cluster V6 Nebular variation and HBR.

Used Lumix G Vario 7-14mm, nostalgic (+2,0,+2,0), Shutter priority at 50, no colour correction. Recorded on cheep noname (qumo) 10 class 32 GB card with no problems.

• @driftwood Thanks, unfortunately I live in PAL-land, but I will give it a try anyways!

• @janis Hmmm... its getting better... HBR. Excellent steadicam work :-)

• @Butt

I've been eyeing that lens forever but never pulled the trigger on it. It's one of the least discussed lenses online. How do you like it?

I didn't know there was an AI-S version. I thought they stopped with the AI version?

• @janis Awesome man! What are you using for Steadicam rig? Dig the music track too!

• So I tried Nebular GOP6 last night, mostly static shots and a little bit of motion on a combination of panasonic and Nikkor lenses and it looked great. Played in camera well. Today continuing with the shoot, mostly motion same lenses mostly motion moving with wondlan stabilizer and have card read error when I try to play it in cam. I tried other patches that worked well before with no problem, sedna, CM, cake, etc etc and same card read error. I tried both my SanDisk extreme pro 64GB 95mbs and 32GB 30mbs card. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• A fun project we shot a few days ago using Cluster V6. 50mm FD 1.4 and 14-42 kit lens.

• @shrigg it's Wondlan Carbon stabiliser. Got it here from one of the excellent deals.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions