Personal View site logo
GH2 Cake v2.3: reliability and spanning in 720p, HBR, 24p, and VMM at 2-2.5x stock bit rates
  • 609 Replies sorted by
  • @balazer attached is an MTS file with a bad frame. It's near the slate. That you haven't seen the issue before with the GH2 (and I haven't either) raises concerns that it is a SanDisk issue.

It seems the MTS file may not be attached. How do you suggest making an MTS file available?

• Attached to what? The video on Vimeo? There is no download option for that video.

• I tried to use the "Attach a file" link but perhaps the MTS file is too big.

• Cake 2.3. Today I did a long term test with my older lexar 16GB professional class10 (quiet a slow card). On the GF2, 720P H-mode it was indicating 59min of video capacity in the beginning. It ended up recording/spanning nearly 2hours of a normal fixed living room day light shot, with people moving in the frame and light changings etc. couldn't really understand/believe it?

• It turns out that sdbest's "bad frame" problem was just corruption of the MTS files on his Mac. He copied them off of the card using a different computer, and they were fine.

• I'm just wondering is their such thing as 720p all intra no p's or b's frames setting available? (Just like the orion one.. all intra but for 720p mode)

• Detail in 720p50 for cake is very good, step up from Sanity for sure imo. Cake 720p is impressive, thank you!

• @SiNERGi yes there is, driftwood have different ones, but if i am not wrong only for pal.

• @balazer, thank you very much ! I dont know how many different patches, under how many different conditions I've tested.

VK, Driftwood's, Bkmcwd's, Lpowell's, Ralph B's, and all the other busy guys, thank you very much for the good jobs you have done.

Iam happy to be back, relaxed enjoying Cake 2,3 but sorry for buying expensive 95mb/s SD cards.

• Mozes can you name at least one?

• Used Cake 2.3 for an impromptu recording of a friend. Ran several hours with no issues and spanning worked great. Used an AF100 as main and 2 GH2s for side shots.

No post correction done (Vimeo doesn't do the raw footage justice.)

For the GH2s, Voigtlander 25mm f/.095 and Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lenses using 24H, Vibrant -2 -2 -1 -2, ISO 200 and K3200 for white balance.

The AF100, using Olympus 14-35 f/2.0 lens and a profile to match the GH2s as following (ISO 200, K3200):

1080/24P Detail Level -4 V Detail Level -1 Detail Corning -4 Chroma Level +2 Chroma Phase -3 Master Ped -5 DRS Off Gama Cine-Like D Matrix Fluo

Edited with FinalCut Pro7

Sandisk 95mbps Extreme Cards in all three cameras.

• @frerichs , great work ...

• Just an ordinary clip. Cake 2.2

• I'm still getting some odd cadences with v2.3, maybe less frequently. It seems to mostly happen with static scenes and the cadence cycle is longer.

I don't know if these use the fallback matrice, although I can create elementary stream files, the "Decode Elementary Stream File" command in StreamParser doesn't work for me, it just hang.

00108_Frames.PNG
    746 x 412 - 166K
    00117_Frames.PNG
    746 x 412 - 164K
  • That's entirely normal. It's just the rate control at work, cycling in and out of fallback mode or between two different quantization levels, so as to keep the bit rate within the limit.

• @balazer Is it possible to have similar Cake + timelapser settings made using Cake 2.3's HBR30 as in this post http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/54223#Comment_54223 ? I don't feel comfortable merging settings myself as my time on computer is very limited and I don't have enough understanding to think it through. Thank you for your work.

• @vstardust You mean you want to timelapse on HBR30, right?

In order to better do it, there are a lot of questions that need answering:

• How big is your bigger card?

• For how long do you need to shoot?

• What shutter speed do you plan to use?

• Attached is Cake v2.3 with my experimental time lapse settings for HBR 30p (NTSC) mode. These experimental settings just lower the bit rate and improve the efficiency of slow shutter speeds in HBR 30p mode, which allows for longer time lapses and smaller files. 1/2.5 s is the recommended shutter setting.

Note that the regular Cake v2.3 is already good for doing time lapses in HBR 30p mode, with shutter speeds of 1/2.5 s, 1/5 s, and 1/10 s recommended. You'll get very high quality video this way, because the bit rate stays the same but fewer frames are being coded, which means more bits per frame.

Cake 2.3 timelapser 2.zip
    957B
  • Shot with Cake 2.3, 14-140, Smooth (-2,-2,-2,-2), Cowboy Studio shoulder rig, 720p60 slowed down to 30p, edited with Sony Movie Studio 11.

• I think, Cake it's most safe hack for 25HBR and 50p. The Chart From Hell v.2 test works without any freezes and very safe spanning for long time. I would like compare 24H or 24L with famous Driftwood hacks. Is there possible to change matrix type like Sedna or Orion? I preffer 24p. But sometimes I need 25HBR( because second camera is PAL or traditional PAL editing at my area) and camera freezes on fast memory cards at 25HBR or 50p 4-5 times at day. I can't pray all the time it will not happen at important moment - I am events videographer. Go for SAFE!

• I have been experiencing in camera playback problems with Cake 2.3. Message was something like "Cannot playback file.". When I turn GH2 off and then back on, the playback is fine. Sandisk Extreme 30 MB/s.

Is this normal?

• yes it almost normal at hacked GH2 world.

• @act: where can this 'chart from hell' be found?

• Whats the benefits of using Cake?

• act, you can change the matrices at your own risk. I don't know what the consequences will be.

tonalt, it is normal. Please see the FAQs: http://www.personal-view.com/faqs

DeShonDixon, the benefits are lower compression and improved frame-to-frame consistency.