Personal View site logo
New Sony FX camera this Fall?
  • Latest rumors from BH Photo suggest there might be a new fx announcement on Nov 8. Features will likely include Electronic ND and IBIS. Perhaps this is the FX60 for which many of us have been waiting. Stay tuned...

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • Cool, thanks for info.

• Any news about that? Sonyalpha rumours doesn't report nothing about it...

• @paglez "Sony will announce the new A9III and new 300mm GM II lens on November 7"

• @EspenB

Must be really expensive.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

It'll most definitely be a very expensive and highly specialized camera. Sony is very careful to artificially segment as much as they can their lineups.

• @EspenB A9III is not a fx camera

• @paglez

It all depends on the price/feature ratio. If the ratio is unfavorable, it's gonna be a fixed camera (not moving from the shelves). ;)

• So it uses LiDAR for focus and Ai. Nice! Finally someone integrating it.

• New FX cam may be coming later than this November:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/camera-rumors/4

New Sony FX Camera

Information remains incredibly thin on the ground but, in addition to the A9 III and A7S IV, it is being reported that Sony will also announce a third camera in the next few months: likely a new FX model.

This makes a lot of sense, given that the FX3 and FX6 were in many ways rebodied A7S IIIs. So if we are indeed about to get an A7S IV, that would make a likely technological basis for the next FX camera.

• "Some extremely salt-worthy rumors have been whispered, including the omission of 8K (which would be unusual for Sony's video flagship) and the debut of a new dual-layer sensor. "

This is very interesting since you can put a first layer lets say 44mpx of pure green photodiodes, and on top only some blue and red ones, thus giving more latitud since green pixels are used for luma red and blue for color. And giving a second layer on top with blue and red will make a richer gamut and response similar to a foveon. Problem with foveon was penetrating 3 layers of silicon and manage to fill the well capacity of the photodiodes. Not if sony uses 2 color bayer filter on top and only green on bottom and back iluminated tecnology, there is a chance they can pull it up light will penetrate easier, BUT and what iso cost and noise since foveon sensors are wonderful really magic images but iso performance is shit, and don't even talk about frame rates. But i remember sony talking about developing foveon like tech.

personally i doubt this tech is finished. I expect better output of raw maybe 14 bits tipical bayer sensor and 8k 60 4k 120 2k 240 10 bit new pro codec from sony for FX series like FX6, FX9 file wrappers. i just wish they don't make fake 12 mpx sensor like in FX3 A7sIII FX6 which is 48mpx sensor disguised as 12mpx pixel binned, the noise behavior is really bad and not good, squared fixed pattern noise really bad, if not shoot on proper specs the codec just cant handle that much pixels and create this mushy image that is pure shit. So its not for every mode or every situation. Like i said in my FX3 thread is like a multiple personality disorder camera LOL. several kind of images from the same camera in different codecs. Strange, my guess too much megapixel in hardware for the matrixes to proper process it to 12mpx. shame.

For example low light slow motion high detail is imposible. Go for 240p and seem to be 720p mushy shit footage.

about the sony dual layer sensor, it was three layer like foveon, but two layer solution seem logical from a production stand point making it easier to stacked oxide layer for photodiodes :

https://image-sensors-world.blogspot.com/2019/10/iedm-2019-sony-presents-48mp-all-pixel.html

"Three-layer Stacked Color Image Sensor With 2.0-μm Pixel Size Using Organic Photoconductive Film Togashi Hideaki, Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation A three-layer stacked color image sensor was formed using an organic film. The sensor decreases the false color problem as it dose not require demosaicing. Furthermore, with the 2.0-μm pixel image sensor, improved spectral characteristics owing to green adsorption by the organic film above the red/blue photodiode, were successfully demonstrated."

• If this new Cmos Global shutter sensor from the alpha 9 III does deliver i see a binned 12mpx FX variant a possibility and extending the range of processing by 2, like 4k 240, 2k 480, 10 bit and better ISO performance, since pixel well capacity is bigger all is happy.