Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5S GH5 S, 4K Video Edition
  • 533 Replies sorted by
  • @bwhitz

You should try the GH5's 6K mode. That detail you describe as being missing, once you shoot in 6k all that fine detail that is resolved out in the 4K mode reappears. There's more detail and tonality to the image that you don't get in the 4K modes.

From the 4k footage I've seen from the GH5S, there's a significant absence of detail due to the smaller sensor size. Few folks are discussing that big trade-off in losing detail for better lowlight performance.

• Don't think the GH5s has a smaller sensor--or the image would not be wider.

• shot with a GH5s. Impressive

• Very impressive, indeed. Shows what you can do with prosumer-grade equipment these days (including the lighting).

Prosumer-grade equipment, and an enormous amount of talent…

• @peaceonearth Yes, that was very impressive! Best thing I've seen shot on the GH5s!

@Isaac_B

You should try the GH5's 6K mode. That detail you describe as being missing, once you shoot in 6k all that fine detail that is resolved out in the 4K mode reappears. There's more detail and tonality to the image that you don't get in the 4K modes.

hmmm, very interesting. I'll have to check that out when I end up renting the camera. Good thing to investigate.

From the 4k footage I've seen from the GH5S, there's a significant absence of detail due to the smaller sensor size.

yea I don't think the sensor size is really the problem. I see more detail in Blackmagic 2.5k footage than allot of GH5 videos (that's a smaller sensor as well)... at least more "texture" anyways. Not sure what they each actually measure on a resolution chart. I think the problem is the processing going on in the camera. Noise reduction doesn't seem like it goes down far enough to stop it from stripping texture out of everything. It gives the image that "highly-detailed-plastic" look. It needs a "full-off" setting. I don't care if they even make it paid-firmware.

Oh also, there was a still comparison somewhere and the RAW photos had GOBS of detail. Then, with the JPEG mode stills, you could see all the processing and artificial sharpening ruining the image. I'll have to find that blog again...

@sgttom

Could it simply be that some users are not turning noise reduction and sharpening down to -5? Another thing I heard is that Panasonic lenses automatically correct for distortion, which softens the image. So someone decided they would add sharpening to make up for it. Neither of these features can be disabled unless you use manual lenses.

I think that definitely helps. But I'm afraid that even -5 isn't far enough. Processing seems VERY heavy in the GH series. But, yea, I still have a GH3 now (also had GH2) and I always used manual lenses.

• Price reductions started faster than expected, but using bundles, as Panasonic is checking price using robots.

Panasonic LUMIX GH5s +Rode VideoMic Pro + SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO SDXC + Case, $2497

https://www.focuscamera.com/panasonic-lumix-gh5s-c4k-10-2mp-mos-wi-fi-bluetooth-mirrorless-ilc-camera-body.html

• @peaceonearth - Yeah, that was damn good.

I currently have a GH4, I'm trying to decide if I should spend more for the S or not...

@bwhitz - I was so glad to ditch my GH3. It made me miss my gh2s.

• @Vitaliy

But of course they did! How else they can stay afloat and sell their products except with that same old gazoomambolojuboleyao tactics called “lets throw in some free crap mics that nobody wants and some free soon-to-be-obsolete media that nobody buys in order to sell a product that nobody likes because we made a camera that rarely anybody needs ”!

Nothing can make one laugh like “infenious” corporate marketing strategies...

• @Brig

Actually it is all reverse. Rode VideoMic Pro is best sold mike.

And it is always seller who uses such idea to overcome min MSRP limit.

• So.. is it better to go GH5s from the 4 or the regular 5? I am leaning toward the S due to the fact that I have a Ronin if I need smooth stuff.

• @RockRoadPix

That is the proverbial $64,000 question many of us are asking ourselves. If you need stills as well as video and value IBIS over low light functionality, the GH5 is likely the camera for you. If you are looking for a video-centric model with far better low light performance and no IBIS, then you'd probably be most happy with the GH5s. I'm personally leaning now in favor of the GH5s, notwithstanding both Panasonic cameras' reported poor auto-focus performance. (Yes, I'm aware of the 179-degree shutter angle workaround that could ameliorate this issue a bit.)

I'm also weighing the new Sony a7III for its superior low-light and auto-focus features, but it is only 8-bit video and Sony's IBIS is a bit lackluster as reported by many sources. Also, the notable variety of lens options available for m43 are well known and make it easier to lean toward adopting one of the Panasonic GH cams.

The good news is, we have lots of nice, high-performance camera options available today.

• Autofocus on the GH5 is as bad as they say. I haven't tried the workaround, but it's also a janky hack for a feature that "just works" on other cameras. If you need autofocus that works reliably (most of the time), don't get a GH5.

Sony's autofocus tends to work pretty well, though if you have a face in shadow, for instance, with a brighter background, it will almost always choose the background. That can be pretty annoying. Their IBIS is definitely not as good as Panasonic's - especially if you're pairing IBIS with one of Panasonic's OIS lenses. Hybrid OIS is pretty amazing.

• Caleb Pike just did a great comparison of the FOV advantages from the MA sensor on the GH5S with and without speed boosters vs. APS-C and FF:

Also goes through some vector scope comparisons showing the altered color science on the GH5s to be a little less green.

• @firstbase - I went with the GH5S. I am happy thus far. I am not a vlogger or anything like that. I am a person that works with pro video gear and I like for my less than pro gear to behave like it were close to pro. Just shot some with the new cam and my client was very happy with the results. They usually use C300 MkIIs and were having trouble telling the difference.

• @Firworks I'm pretty sure it's well documented that the GH5S is closer to the GH2's 1.86X sensor, not the GH4's 2X. Right?

• TBH, I think the GH5S is the new GH2. I'm loving it. I will post some vid, when I have compiled enough.

• Worth it! I can't believe how much better this thing is than my GH4. Now I'm going to have to buy another because I can't match the shit easily in post! I have a link to some horribly uninteresting footage at night in V-Log and HLG if anyone is interested. It's just too damn cold to shoot anything interesting in Ohio right now.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BPHKWVRXA8ynNSQCCBaLuB9hZ4fxgpB8

20180313_101052.jpg
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
  • @rockroadpix check the first post in this thread. Vitaliy has all the crop factors listed out. It's quite a bit wider and when you speed boost it things get even better.

@estarkey7 I really like the look of the HLG footage.

• @rockroadpix Congrats on the camera. I hope to join your ranks soon. I keep leaning in the direction of the GH5s rather than the Sony a7III for all the reasons cited previously.